• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Several ID's please, central Michigan, USA (1 Viewer)

The Lion Cub

Here are some odd ones I saw today. (All bad pics, sorry)

1- Female Red-winged Blackbird?
2- Great Crested Flycatchers (lifers)
3- Indigo Bunting? Can't imagine Blue Grosbeak.
4- No idea. It's not a Blue Jay, it was way too small. I got the call on video and will post a link to YouTube at some point.
5- Same bird. Sorry for the quality.

Thanks!

Attachments

• FRWB poss.JPG
    FRWB poss.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Great crested Flycatchers.jpg
    Great crested Flycatchers.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IB poss.JPG
    IB poss.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 102
  • whatisthis2.JPG
    whatisthis2.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 119
  • whatisthis.JPG
    whatisthis.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 106
You're correct on Nos.1 & 2. 3 could be an Indigo Bunting but with so much backlighting it's hard to make out any features. No idea on the other guy.

#2 Great crested flycatchers correct nice lifer agree with 1 &3 .4 and 5 the bib combined with the small bill then add that very long tail it seems rather odd. The audio clip will help alot with this one

The last is most certainly a sparrow, based on the bill and jizz. Can't say which species, though I'd like to say Song. But the breast just isn't right. Maybe a juvenile? The call would help.
I think I'll guess Field Sparrow for now, based on the clean breast and pinkish feet.

Last edited:
Well, I'm sure I don't know more than Jim, but it really looks like 4 and 5 are Blue Jays to me. It seems just like the black "necklace" jays have, and the tail looks right. Sometimes they don't have a crest (a juvenile or ill one). I don't know about the bill, because of the angle.... The sound should resolve the question.

Well, I'm sure I don't know more than Jim, but it really looks like 4 and 5 are Blue Jays to me. It seems just like the black "necklace" jays have, and the tail looks right. Sometimes they don't have a crest (a juvenile or ill one). I don't know about the bill, because of the angle.... The sound should resolve the question.

Hi Gretchen.

It is without a doubt an Eastern Towhee, which also has a black bib. I'm attaching a lightened version of the photo showing the rufous sides. A Blue Jay would have a much longer, thinner bill.

Best,
Jim

Attachments

• whatisthis2.JPG
    whatisthis2.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 100
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the lightened photo. It does seem that the beak is really not a jay at a strange angle. I'm still confused though because it seems that this bird has a light area above the bottom of the bib, whereas all the pictures I've seen (quickly) show a solid black bib up to the beak. Do you think it's just some reflection? or is this a normal coloration?

thanks,

Gretchen

Hard to say what the abnormal white area is without very great feather detail. But I agree with the Towhee diagnosis.

Isn't it just a reflected light? An Eastern Towhee seems to have quite glossy feathers on its head and breast.

I also thought about a Blue Jay at first but the beak isn't right for it (too stount and short)

Tennessee Warbler would be quite unusual in Michigan in July. EBird has only one Michigan report for that month. It appears to be outside its normal breeding range. However, I agree the song on the video bears some resemblance to a TW.

Jim

Thanks for clarifying the date (always best to put that info in the inital post though). However, I'm not sure Nashville Warbler can be ruled out here given the audio quality. They have a variable song that does not always end in a trill, and which is is quite similar to what we hear here. Listen to samples on this site: http://macaulaylibrary.org/search.do

If this is a Tennessee, it is giving an abbreviated song (it usually has three parts, only two are heard here).

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back