• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (2 Viewers)

No errors except for your maths ;) 644+72 is not 816 at least not here in Germany :p

However I'm not sure if Sooty Tern should be included between those regular species. It's not an annual breeder and very scarce and not easy to get even then

But you list 57 annual or near-annual species but you believe they'll only get 34 additions out of these?

Maybe they will get only around 35 out of these but then there are still those real rarities which are not included in your number. Don't forget, they have scheduled almost all autumn for vagrants and have spare-time in December. I believe 770 is more likely. At least if they are committed to it.

Somewhere between 740 -780 (880) then ;)

It kinda depends on whether it is a good autumn for vagrants and whether the birds fall where they are, or how committed they are to travel/twitch? etc

(Not forgetting the recent ABA Big Year, when expectations from this forum were generally exceeded.)

The maths are quite interesting - but I would prefer the real thing! :)
Has anybody any idea when we will receive the next update from them? Are they already at Svalbard as they planned to do?

Has anybody any idea when we will receive the next update from them? Are they already at Svalbard as they planned to do?

Just received message / video via facebook that they are on Svalbard. And they have added Grey Phalarope at least. And they started the search for Ivory Gull!

Just received message / video via facebook that they are on Svalbard. And they have added Grey Phalarope at least. And they started the search for Ivory Gull!

I view this element of the trip as similar to Noah Strycker's Antarctica leg. That is being done to make the experience complete. I anticipate that they could have seen all the species already this year more easily. I suspect if someone sets out to break their record then they won't do this leg.

All the best

Probably true, but it will get them guaranteed Grey Phalarope and Little Auk, which could be otherwise tricky to pin down when they are chasing vagrants. Also might be their only shot at Ivory Gull.

I view this element of the trip as similar to Noah Strycker's Antarctica leg. That is being done to make the experience complete. I anticipate that they could have seen all the species already this year more easily. I suspect if someone sets out to break their record then they won't do this leg.

All the best

Svalbard
Steller's Eider
King Eider
Red Phalarope
Ivory Gull
Sabine's Gull
Arctic Tern
Long-tailed Jaeger
Little Auk
Thick-billed Murre
Atlantic Puffin
Snow Bunting

List now updated and they've found 7 of these: King Eider, Red Phalarope, Arctic Tern, Little Auk, Thick-billed Murre, Atlantic Puffin and Snow Bunting. That leaves Steller's Eider, Ivory and Sabine's Gull and Long-tailed Jaeger.

Probably true, but it will get them guaranteed Grey Phalarope and Little Auk, which could be otherwise tricky to pin down when they are chasing vagrants. Also might be their only shot at Ivory Gull.

Or they could have gone to Iceland earlier in the season, which would have gotten them everything plus Gyr, Barrow's GoldenEye etc, minus only Ivory Gull which they could have easily twitched in Germany. Svalbard ist definitely in there for the experience, not for the birds...

Or they could have gone to Iceland earlier in the season, which would have gotten them everything plus Gyr, Barrow's GoldenEye etc, minus only Ivory Gull which they could have easily twitched in Germany. Svalbard ist definitely in there for the experience, not for the birds...

Is someone with them armed against a possible Polar Bear encounter?

A

Paul,

I do not want to quote that entire list again, but do you not need to add the Siberian Tit back into the "achievable targets"?

On a separate note, there are just five of your category 1 birds left for them to find.

Ian

Paul,

I do not want to quote that entire list again, but do you not need to add the Siberian Tit back into the "achievable targets"?

On a separate note, there are just five of your category 1 birds left for them to find.

Ian

Ian

It appears as 'Grey-headed Chickadee'. Again, just copied from the checklist before Andy notices this post! B :)

All the best

Ian

It appears as 'Grey-headed Chickadee'. Again, just copied from the checklist before Andy notices this post! B :)

All the best

You know me well Sir,
this just illustrates what confusion it causes, it's a WP list so let's stick to the names from this side of the pond?

They in fact do call it a Tit on their blog so why do others change it?

A

I'd assume they have a local guide who will comply with the local law :t:

Birders are on the menu, Polar Bears do not respect the law and anyone who walks where they may meet one, unarmed, are taking a massive risk.

A

What I meant is that their guide will comply with local law, which means he'll have a gun with him in case of Polar Bear attack. It's a legal requirement on Svalbard outside of towns that at least one person in a group has a gun (and is trained to use it) :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back