• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

carrying camera and big lens 'over the shoulder' (1 Viewer)

Hi Folks

I carry my 1D MIIN and 100-400mm lens with 1.4x converter attached using
one of the top ones on this page: http://www.warehouseexpress.co.uk/?photo/camstraps/optech.html - the straps are so good and comfortable that I even got one for my bins too!

I began using these when I nearly had a serious disaster with my old 20D - the straps that Canon provide can (with the weight of such a lens) slip at the attachment point. Luckily I just managed to stick my ample gut out in time to delay the kit's descent and grab it before it all hit the ground (concrete at the time) LOL With a heaver kit I always say "don't use the Canon strap"!

I find carting around a padded bag as well as this kit (and all that goes with it, e.g. monopod/tripod) too heavy - so I just put the camera & lens in one of these:
http://www.warehouseexpress.co.uk/?photo/cameracovers/keatley.html - (you can get waterproof ones) and just carry the whole lot by the Optech camera strap slung over one shoulder.

Best wishes
Didi

Many thanks for the pointers everyone.
As others have said, the 100-400 unfortunately doesn't have a strap attachment, so I would have to rig up something makeshift or make do with attaching the strap to the camera. I like Citrinella's suggestion - can anyone recommend a particularly suitable model for a holster-type bag? Ideally it would fit the 100-400 plus 30D, and would be small / light enough that I could sling it out of the way over my shoulder whilst using the camera.
Thanks again
j

It's the Canon semi-rigid lens case I was talking about. I think you get one with a 100-400. Just use it as a holster. The strap Canon supply is about as good as cheese wire, so that needs replaced.

I use it with the cover hanging open a bit, and the camera pokes out. No bother at all while shooting.

Mike.

Thanks again everyone for the pointers. I reckon I'll go for one of the Lowepro 75AW toploaders, which seems to be a good compromise between protection from the elements and weight / access. It also looks like replacing the canon strap with an Optech is a must. Amazing how the cost is escalating with this new hobby...

Lens Cradle Pictures

Here are pictures of the lens cradle I talked about in my last post. The cradle attaches to the tripod mount on the lens. The main problem I see is I would have to take off my mount adapter to use the cradle.
Looks like it would take the weight of the lens off the camera.

Attachments

• cradle.jpg
    cradle.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 174
  • cradle2.jpg
    cradle2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Hello all,
I've recently waded into the DSLR game, having bought the industry standard EOS 30D and 100-400 IS lens. I'm worried about my method of carrying the combo in the field. I tend to carry the camera using the standard strap (the one that came in the box) over my shoulder, with the heavy lens attached, so the camera takes the whole weight of the lens. Is this a good idea? I'm worried about putting too much pressure on the mount.

I've searched the forums and found a few threads on this topic, but nothing too specifc. I plan to get a proper rucksack/bag for really long walks in the field, but I'd generally rather have the full kit over my shoulder and ready to use. How long could I carry the camera like this before I risk damaging the mount? Can anyone recommend a better way? (One that does not involve putting the camera in a bag...). Does anyone sell a strap that attaches to the lens, rather than the camera?

Many thanks in adv.,
James

Hi James,

Further to my earlier post I have done some searching and found the Manfrotto 402 Short Tripod Strap. It seems to me the ideal solution to carrying the camera with 100-400 IS Zoom attached as it would use the lens' own robust tripod mount as I alluded to earlier IF the included adapter is the same thread size as a conventional tripod mounting thread. Does anyone know if this is the case please? You can see the item at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Manfrotto-402...oryZ3325QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Regards

Adrian

Eek! I wouldn't dream of carrying my camera and lens on a screw-in strap!

I still don't see what's wrong with simply attaching a good neoprene strap to the camera and slinging the whole lot around your neck...

Hi,

I usually carry the camera (Rebel XT) over the right shoulder (with metal rings connecting the shoulder strap and the camera). When the 100-400 is attached to the camera, I stick the tripod mount in my belt. The lenght af the strap is ajusted to fit, and it takes a lot of weight from the camera.

Thomas

I still don't see what's wrong with simply attaching a good neoprene strap to the camera and slinging the whole lot around your neck...
Exactly what I reckon Keith - Canon would have fitted carrying strap attachments to the 400mm lens if they thought it was unsafe to carry via the Camera.
I must have walked over 1000 miles with my 400mm lens and Camera slung around my neck.

John,
Haven't tried these, though I have thought about it. There is an item on the American eBay icalled a Lens Cradle, it is a second strap for the lens itself. I searched for Lens strap and came up with the lens cradle, might be worth taking a look at.
Having trouble putting in the link for some reason.

Thank's for the info Lisa ... Really appreciate it ... The picture's of the
mount do look very good, I had a look around for this in the U.k. but
could'nt see any, I'll have another look as this seem's alright for what i'd
want,
Take care and Thank's,
John,

Hi,

If you use a Arca Swiss head on your tripod have a look at the Kirk Security Strap SS-1 at Warehouse Express. This maybe what you need .

Regards Charles

Further to my earlier post I have done some searching and found the Manfrotto 402 Short Tripod Strap. It seems to me the ideal solution to carrying the camera with 100-400 IS Zoom attached as it would use the lens' own robust tripod mount as I alluded to earlier IF the included adapter is the same thread size as a conventional tripod mounting thread. Does anyone know if this is the case please? You can see the item at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Manfrotto-402...oryZ3325QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Regards

Adrian

It looks to me like the thread on the end of this is the wrong size, as it fits into the shoulder thread on the Manfrotto tripod (where the normal strap would attach), and this thread is much wider than the standard tripod mounting. You could probably get an adapter though...

1)

2)I still don't see what's wrong with simply attaching a good neoprene strap to the camera and slinging the whole lot around your neck...

Re 1) Eh? Pray, why not? My suggestion assumes a locking nut to prevent inadvertent unscrewing (good engineering practice and commonly used). As has been said, the lens is a good deal heavier than the camera so where is the problem in having the camera hanging off the lens if you're quite happy to have the lens hanging off the camera which you advocate in 2)

All said with due respect to someone whose opinions I normally respect and whose photos I love.

Regards

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I just wouldn't want to trust my toys to something that might unscrew, mate - I don't have that much faith in those locking nuts (they can still work loose), and I would probably forget to check it often enough, with predictably horrifying results.

I once had a pricey electronic carp angling bite indicator fall off its "stand" and into the lake, ruining the gadget - that used a locking nut too...

There really isn't any problem with just wandering around with the camera strap round your neck, one hand providing support to the lens - a solid 5 or 6 hours at a stretch (or more) is easy enough, and I just feel that we're looking for solutions to a problem that doesn't really exist.

I'm a great one for keeping things simple, I guess.

Hi Adrian,

I just wouldn't want to trust my toys to something that might unscrew, mate - I don't have that much faith in those locking nuts (they can still work loose), and I would probably forget to check it often enough, with predictably horrifying results.

I once had a pricey electronic carp angling bite indicator fall off its "stand" and into the lake, ruining the gadget - that used a locking nut too...

There really isn't any problem with just wandering around with the camera strap round your neck, one hand providing support to the lens - a solid 5 or 6 hours at a stretch (or more) is easy enough, and I just feel that we're looking for solutions to a problem that doesn't really exist.

I'm a great one for keeping things simple, I guess.

Hi Keith,

Points taken. It's only ever a matter of doing what one feels happy and comfortable with I guess. I have cobbled one up and will give it a try but probably wont tell you if it all goes pear-shaped!!

Regards

Adrian

I should add that I'm mildly paranoid about straps too, Adrian - especially the straps with detachable click release sections (some Optech straps do, and so do my Hama and Jessops neoprene straps) - so I keep one hand on the lens anyway, and probably would regardless of which camera/lens support system I used.

So I go for the most straightforward one...

The problem only exists for me because I don't really want to cradle the camera in my hands all the time. I'm generally birding first and foremost - I may use the camera once or twice a day, but I'll probably use my bins several hundred times, so I'll always want both hands free for rapid response. I think this thread has provided the answer though, in the form of a holster bag over the shoulder or attached to a belt. And it's good to have reassurance that slinging the kit around my neck for a few minutes at a time isn't going to do any real damage. Many thanks to all who have responded.
:hi:

You could also buy some Pipe Lagging that will fit your Tripod Legs..That way, if you need to carry it on your shoulders the Lagging will Protect you..

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back