• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hides (1 Viewer)

I still think that the Ameristep hides are superior in shape and design/material with good camo colours to choose from as well. Worth a google anyway Marcus !!!!

Brian, which of the hides have you tried from these guys?

Hi Marcus
I am using the "one man photographers hide" with built in chair. It's lightweight, waterproof, quick and easy to put up/down and comes in its own bag which is a rucksack.
I agonised for ages before I took the plunge but was immediately glad that i did and had some great close ups from day one whilst using it.
Regards
Ian
PS paid 75 pounds on the "bay"

Hi Marcus
I am using the "one man photographers hide" with built in chair. It's lightweight, waterproof, quick and easy to put up/down and comes in its own bag which is a rucksack.
I agonised for ages before I took the plunge but was immediately glad that i did and had some great close ups from day one whilst using it.
Regards
Ian
PS paid 75 pounds on the "bay"

Thanks Ian, From the pictures of that hide I am concerned about the possibility of there being 'space' such that it may be possible for a bird to see movement in the hide? Does that make sense?
Marcus

Marcus
It shows the hide completely open to the front but, you can close the front of the hide to allow just a lens to poke through or leave it open to capture birds in flight etc if thats what your after. When your inside even though you only have 3 windows you can see 360 degrees.
The first time I used mine I had a Wren actually perched on the scrim netting under the window flap practically on my right shoulder, amazing view.
Hope I'm making sense and this is useful to you
Ian

Marcus
It shows the hide completely open to the front but, you can close the front of the hide to allow just a lens to poke through or leave it open to capture birds in flight etc if thats what your after. When your inside even though you only have 3 windows you can see 360 degrees.
The first time I used mine I had a Wren actually perched on the scrim netting under the window flap practically on my right shoulder, amazing view.
Hope I'm making sense and this is useful to you
Ian

How heavy is it?
How small does it pack down?
What happens when you move aorund inside the hide?

Hi again

I just weighed it and packed up its 11 pounds, its 900mm in height by 400mm wide at its widest. Its in an extremely comfortable backpack to carry, and when set up its quite rigid.

You open the folding chair as normal then the roof pulls over you a bit like a folded paper fan and its strung a bit like an umbrella inside if I'm making sense, which stops it flapping loosely in the wind which is what I think your getting at.

Dont take any cats with you cos you aint gona be swinging them when your inside, it is advertised as a one man hide which it is, and anyway all my mates think I'm sad so I didn't need a two man one LOL.

Hope this is clear and i've answered your queries but please post again if not and you haven't lost the will to live by now.

Regards
Ian

PS If I lost this hide tomorrow, would I buy the same again, yes I would.

I use the same type of 1 man chair hide. Great hide and great value for money.
Me too! also have the 2 man one for when her indoors decides to go outdoors LoL
Its like any piece of kit the more you use it the easier/quicker it gets setting up etc.
I use mine in our woodland and i have had deer approx 8ft from me and ended up having to use my Panasonic Compact digi camera to get a shot! in woodland its best to use a tele zoom like the Bigma 50-500mm because you never know how near the critters will approach.
Cheers
Brian

I am guessing it is not really possible to change shooting height from these hides. I take a lot of shot at eye level so I am just wondering if a pop-up style without a seat would be more practical.

I am guessing it is not really possible to change shooting height from these hides. I take a lot of shot at eye level so I am just wondering if a pop-up style without a seat would be more practical.
Unless your Ronnie Corbett? I don't think there's many hides you can stand up in? How about converting one of those camping toilets? get a dark coloured one and sling a camo net over (don't forget to cut some spy holes out)LoL
It would look quite funny especially if a gert big Navvie wanted to spend a penny LoL

I'm still looking!

I have decided that I do not want a hide with an integrated chair. So I think a dome hide would be best, but I don't fancy paying a shed load.

I am now considering one of the Gelert two men pop up cammo tents for £25

Any other suggestions??

Oh BTW Marcus the one thing I've discovered about them from reviews is that it seems they are not totally waterproof. If it's out in a heavy downpour water apparently leaks in through the seams so best not go for it if you want to leave it out for extended periods. This was someone who thought it to be a proper camping tent but as it's only got one skin it is hardly surprising but it may affect your decision. I've got mine now but haven't given it a try out yet. Once I do I'll let you know, weather isn't the best at the mo as I'm sure you know.

Oh and one final thing, it has fluorescent guy ropes so I hope you have some green paint or something handy! :-O

I think your best bet for finding stuff would be the states as the hunting fraternity over there is where the markets at.

EDIT: You know what I'm gonna get it out and give it a go now so don't go away. ;)

Last edited:
Oh BTW Marcus the one thing I've discovered about them from reviews is that it seems they are not totally waterproof. If it's out in a heavy downpour water apparently leaks in through the seams so best not go for it if you want to leave it out for extended periods. This was someone who thought it to be a proper camping tent but as it's only got one skin it is hardly surprising but it may affect your decision. I've got mine now but haven't given it a try out yet. Once I do I'll let you know, weather isn't the best at the mo as I'm sure you know.

Oh and one final thing, it has fluorescent guy ropes so I hope you have some green paint or something handy! :-O

I think your best bet for finding stuff would be the states as the hunting fraternity over there is where the markets at.

EDIT: You know what I'm gonna get it out and give it a go now so don't go away. ;)

Cool thanks! If I decide on something else can you buy that and user test it for me ;)

Some of you gents might consider an alternative to a hide, when you wish to be more portable and flexible. It's not the thing to use in the rain however, as I understand you have more dampness there as a rule than I have here, and besides, I don't take my equipment out in the rain in any event. I don't care to take many shots in dull light. After trying various things over the past 6 years, I've settled on this solution when I can't put up a hide and leave it. I find this very accomodating to MY style of shooting, though I'm sure it won't fit everyone's bill. Just an option to consider when a hide isn't quite right for the situation.

http://naturephotography.fredhurteau.com/camosuit.htm
and
http://naturephotography.fredhurteau.com/primecover.htm

Ok so got it out in the garden, first noticeable thing is obviously the colour. It's clearly not the same as in the picture we saw but whose to blame I know not, I believe I'm not the first person to be upset by this according to the reviews I read on Argos.
I've looked on the Gelert website and couldn't see my exact one but there was one the same design as mine in 'Army Camo' that looks ten times better. There were also some different models but again in some better camo patterns although they seemed a little more money. I don't know where you might be able to find these ones but they may be worth a punt, certainly better than mine :C.
As always though my scrim can bail me out as you can see.

Design wise the window at the front is mesh so you'd need to cut a whole out of it to poke your lens through and the pop-up nature means that the it doesn't seem to want to peg down too well. It's certianly not going to replace my proper pop-up hide but then again it was never meant too! The obvious advantage as I told you is that with this you can at least sleep on location and be up and running from dawn onwards perfect for those remote Scottish areas eh? (so long as it's a dry night that is! ;) ). Biggest plus really is it's low profile which may suit you better if that's what you want.

I'll leave the decision up to you but I'd say it is no replacement for a true pop-up hide although it's not without it's merits. You could obviously spend a whole day in it quite comfortably with plenty of space for things and if you got tired, have a nap! 3:)

So... maybe I should test your 500mm and see how well that works. ;)

Attachments

• Popuptent01.jpg
    Popuptent01.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Popuptent02.jpg
    Popuptent02.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Popuptent03.jpg
    Popuptent03.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Popuptent04.jpg
    Popuptent04.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 140
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back