• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (3 Viewers)

Three more so far today - just what you might expect -

Coal Tit
Heron
Great Tit

Cutting the huge hedge this morning when I spotted a Blackbirds' nest before I got too close - so a piece will have to remain uncut at least for four or five weeks yet.
Another Linnet fly past today & Whitethroat heard again - which is always good.

Put the bird feeder up today - it might take a while but I'm looking forward to finding out what it'll attract.

Last edited:
Continuing arrivals, heaps of Sedge Warblers in the ever exoanding reeds this year, plus a couple of new for the year:

100. Garden Warbler
101. Common Rosefinch

Cutting the huge hedge this morning when I spotted a Blackbirds' nest before I got too close - so a piece will have to remain uncut at least for four or five weeks yet.

I was looking for butterflies when I spotted this - also had to make a tactical retreat.

Attachments

• Crane chick lt 1.jpg
    Crane chick lt 1.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 52
Although controversial images for some!.....not for me, no.65. Honey Buzzard on Tuesday, and yesterday 2 flyover Common Terns no.66......also they seem to be all the rage at the moment last week in the hedge.

Attachments

• P1500144.jpeg    Evening Owl. reduced.jpeg
    P1500144.jpeg Evening Owl. reduced.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
35. European Starling
36. Western Tanager (call)
37. Wild Turkey
38. Pacific-slope Flycatcher (call)
39. Black-headed Grosbeak (call)
40. Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Arrival of two of my favourite summer residents - a pair of Lesser Spotted Eagles, both sitting in a very 'suitable' clump of nesting trees, then a nice male Red-backed Shrike. Less regular, a singing Grasshopper Warbler too, plus Common Terns making a fly-by from a nearby lake.

102. Lesser Spotted Eagle
103. Common Tern
104. Red-backed Shrike
105. Grasshopper Warbler

A few to add from the last couple of weeks, all nice summer arrivals:

32. Pied Wagtail
33. Song thrush - at least two males singing
34. House Martin - back in the area, but the two nests on neighbours' houses remain unoccupied so far
35. Common Swift - one or two over
36. Common Whitethroat - first time ever I've actually seen (and photographed) one in the garden, although I hear them singing and calling annually in the nearby hedgerows.

Not a lot going on recently, but heard a distant melody from trees a few doors down, while out in the garden yesterday afternoon:

37. Blackcap

Just now a fly by - a pair of

Mallards

halftwo. jealous already, You been in your new crib for less than a month and already overtaken my feeble efforts here in Leicester. I can't even blame it on the local Sprawks cos they haven't been near the garden for at least a couple of months and there are dozens of sparrows and the usual tits etc but apart from one errant chiffchaff and a few swifts nothing but the usual residents so far this summer.:-C

Just returned from a couple of weeks out at my house in Turkey. 33 Species in total.

The highlights and they were high were a long awaited and wanted first sighting of Eleanora's falcon. After waiting so long (we bought the house in 2004) I saw both light and DP birds, and saw at least one each evening I was on the top terrace.

I had also waited a long time for Yelkouan Shear and bizarrely the first time I saw them from the house I saw c600! I saw them each morning sometimes just yards offshore but no more than c 200 after the first sighting.

The last day early morning I got onto a tail end view of a distant flying "dirty dishcloth" that I knew had to be an adult Squacco but I was going to let it go (I like to think). Late afternoon just before the airport transfer was due to pick us up I scanned the nearby olive orchard for one last time. F#ck me if there wasn't a roosting Adult Squacco on the nearest edge. I got it on my house list and my wife added it to her list of birds she has seen in order to humour her husband. I'm guessing it was almost certainly a different bird from the morning.

I did let a pair of Ruddy Shelduck go (another potential house tick) as they were too distant for certainty.

The best of the rest a couple of migrant Golden Orioles, regular soaring Lesser Kestrels, a number of fly-by bee-eater flocks, one fly-by flock of rose coloured starling and a regular Black Eared Wheatear that used my solar water tanks as a song post.

Overall there was hardly any movement whilst I was there so to pick up 3 nearly 4 new species was surprising.

Back for a couple of weeks in July, probably won't add to house year list but I'll be having a go.

#43. Willow Warbler - Heard only, but almost every day during last week.
#44. Common Swift - Firs one I saw last Sunday. Every day since that they have circled over garden. No screamin yet. I really wait for that sound. There is no other sound in this world what tells you better that summer is really started.
#45. Barn Swallow - If I remember right, last year I didn't see this one at all.
#46. House Sparrow - I have seen couple of these every day since Sunday, so I'm thinking they nesting somewhere near.

Just returned from a couple of weeks out at my house in Turkey. 33 Species in total.

The highlights and they were high were a long awaited and wanted first sighting of Eleanora's falcon. After waiting so long (we bought the house in 2004) I saw both light and DP birds, and saw at least one each evening I was on the top terrace.

I had also waited a long time for Yelkouan Shear and bizarrely the first time I saw them from the house I saw c600! I saw them each morning sometimes just yards offshore but no more than c 200 after the first sighting.

The last day early morning I got onto a tail end view of a distant flying "dirty dishcloth" that I knew had to be an adult Squacco but I was going to let it go (I like to think). Late afternoon just before the airport transfer was due to pick us up I scanned the nearby olive orchard for one last time. F#ck me if there wasn't a roosting Adult Squacco on the nearest edge. I got it on my house list and my wife added it to her list of birds she has seen in order to humour her husband. I'm guessing it was almost certainly a different bird from the morning.

I did let a pair of Ruddy Shelduck go (another potential house tick) as they were too distant for certainty.

The best of the rest a couple of migrant Golden Orioles, regular soaring Lesser Kestrels, a number of fly-by bee-eater flocks, one fly-by flock of rose coloured starling and a regular Black Eared Wheatear that used my solar water tanks as a song post.

Overall there was hardly any movement whilst I was there so to pick up 3 nearly 4 new species was surprising.

Back for a couple of weeks in July, probably won't add to house year list but I'll be having a go.

Impressive to say the least John. :t:

#43. Willow Warbler - Heard only, but almost every day during last week.
#44. Common Swift - Firs one I saw last Sunday. Every day since that they have circled over garden. No screamin yet. I really wait for that sound. There is no other sound in this world what tells you better that summer is really started.
#45. Barn Swallow - If I remember right, last year I didn't see this one at all.
#46. House Sparrow - I have seen couple of these every day since Sunday, so I'm thinking they nesting somewhere near.

No Swifts over our place yet Wari, but we did have some screaming around Porvoo on Sunday, so that's one place where summer has arrived in Finland!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back