• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Penguin's Hello :) (1 Viewer)

Penguin

Hey BirdWatchers;),
Just coming in here to say a quick hello:). I'm unfortunately not a pro at any of this stuff...I merely just started getting interested in digiscoping and so forth... Probably because it's always been sooooo pricey :p.

But but but, I'm here to learn and help if I can offer any :). I've taken pics of mostly ducks and seagulls and the likes but never with a digiscope. I don't know much about it and am in fact still a bit confused about some aspects of it... with regards to compatibility etc. I myself am using a Nikon CP4500 as well, and when I found out how good it was for digiscoping, I was more than uplifted :D. But now when I look at the price for a decent scope... puuuh... it takes one's breath away haha.

I also take pics of different types of things... whatever I can find... whatever that's "inspiring". But there's still a lot to learn :S.

I guess that's my short hello for now :). Hopefully I'll get to know more about this stuff and you all in here:). :frog: <- HAHAHA, that's a cute one.:).

Hello from Northern Ontario, Canada where spring just refuses to show up! :(
I too would love to get into digiscoping but having just bought a new house and moved, it's out of the question for now!
I look forward to seeing some of your shots though. Hope you enjoy your time here. We all do! ;)

And welcome to Birdforum from Mexico. You'll find BF members of all levels of birding abilities here and all share the willingness to help others learn. Looking forward to seeing some of your pictures.

Hi Penguin, a warm welcome from all the staff here (though a penguin may prefer a cool welcome)
You don't really have to spend a fortune on a scope.... you'll see quite a few great digiscoped shots taken with lesser scopes. Have a look for a used scope, you can pick up some bargains and used scopes are reliable. Even if you're not a dedicated birder, a scope gives wonderful close-up views of all wildlife, so don't just think of it as a lens for your camera.
Regards,
Andy

Thanks for the warm welcome:). (even us penguins like to keep warm... that's what we have blubber for :D).

Tammie: Hehe. It'll show up soon and when it does, you'll be crying for the aircon haha. Extreme weathers in the Northern Hemisphere... what can we do about it? :D.

Dave: :). That's good. Then I won't feel too out of place in the beginning. I've read a few threads and it's been interesting :).

Andy Bright: Thanks. Yeah... it can be used for many other things too. I saw this one thread in here, where they posted a poll... haha 1% was used on girls LOL. But yeah, wildlife... that's another thing I hope to use it on as well. I've been looking for 2nd hand deals as well, although it's been difficult to find any deals... at least overhere. Accessories for the 4500 have been difficult to find. Besides digiscoping, I've been looking for 3rd party lenses as well, but I don't know of that many brands which are compatible with it. But I hope to find a scope some time brrrrrr :).

Michael - er i KBH. You're in Newcastle? Cool :).

A fellow Dane! Velkommen til BirdForum...
Må nok være ærlig at sige, at min viden om fugle-fotografering er noget begrænset... men jeg prøver da!

Last edited:
inexpensive scope

Check out kenkomall.com. I bought a 70mm scope on sale for $250 to see if i liked to do digiscoping. Its fine for a starter. You can always trade up. They also have an inexpensive adapter. Good place to start to try your hand at it first then buy much more expensive. I do realize a much better scope will make pics better but Ive had mine 6 months and really used it. I like it well enough that i am now ready to go higher.

Penguin said:
Hey BirdWatchers;),
Just coming in here to say a quick hello:). I'm unfortunately not a pro at any of this stuff...I merely just started getting interested in digiscoping and so forth... Probably because it's always been sooooo pricey :p.

But but but, I'm here to learn and help if I can offer any :). I've taken pics of mostly ducks and seagulls and the likes but never with a digiscope. I don't know much about it and am in fact still a bit confused about some aspects of it... with regards to compatibility etc. I myself am using a Nikon CP4500 as well, and when I found out how good it was for digiscoping, I was more than uplifted :D. But now when I look at the price for a decent scope... puuuh... it takes one's breath away haha.

I also take pics of different types of things... whatever I can find... whatever that's "inspiring". But there's still a lot to learn :S.

I guess that's my short hello for now :). Hopefully I'll get to know more about this stuff and you all in here:). :frog: <- HAHAHA, that's a cute one.:).

Tervetuloa to Birdforum, Penguin. Jag kan bara tala dålig svenska, men har blivit förstodd med det också i Danmark. Have visited Your country two times, seeing 52 species there. Last time I visited Denmark, I was interviewed in Your television...

Rasmus Boegh said:
A fellow Dane! Velkommen til BirdForum...
Må nok være ærlig at sige, at min viden om fugle-fotografering er noget begrænset... men jeg prøver da!

Hehe takker... det er ok... min er ikke eksisterende :p.
But we all gotta start somewhere :) :bounce:

tikey1949 said:
Check out kenkomall.com. I bought a 70mm scope on sale for $250 to see if i liked to do digiscoping. Its fine for a starter. You can always trade up. They also have an inexpensive adapter. Good place to start to try your hand at it first then buy much more expensive. I do realize a much better scope will make pics better but Ive had mine 6 months and really used it. I like it well enough that i am now ready to go higher.

Thx Tikey :). I'll take a look at that. Is the quality pretty good? What probs does it give etc. Not a lot of viginetting probs or any of the sort right? Brrrr, there's so much research to be done but price wise, it does seem like a decent place to start :). Now I know another brand that will fit a Nikon 4500 hehe.

I've also been looking at other types of lenses for the Nikon 4500 (telephoto, fisheyes, etc.), but I've been having trouble finding compatible ones. I've found Raynox, but for now, I've only managed to find the wide lens to fit the Nikon. Then the other ones I'm not sure of yet, e.g. Tamron... I haven't found any as of yet.

Which ever one comes first with a nice deal, I'll probably end up getting it hehe.

Karwin said:
Tervetuloa to Birdforum, Penguin. Jag kan bara tala dålig svenska, men har blivit förstodd med det också i Danmark. Have visited Your country two times, seeing 52 species there. Last time I visited Denmark, I was interviewed in Your television...

Hehe that's better than my Saami:D... Haha. Finnish is very interesting though... And the longest word in the lang (which doesn't really make sense until it's been broken down) is REALLY LONG! Haha.

Wow 52? Where abouts did you travel to see these? That's pretty neat :).
Interviewed? :D. Was it a program on birds? Or? Sounds pretty neat.

Michael Frankis said:
Davs Penguin,

Jeg har 195 arter på min Dansk liste: http://www.netfugl.dk/ranking.php?id=dk&mode=dklist&profile_id=955

Hvad har du set?

Do you know Utterslev Mose? That is where I first started birding, on holidays with my mormor & morfar, many years ago :D

Michael

Wow, det er sku' meget imponerende:).

Ja, jeg har hørt om Utterslev Mose... ud der i Søborg tror jeg. But I don't think I've ever been there yet. But I think that I'll put that down in the list of things to do in the summer :). Hopefully I'll find something to help me along the way to take pictures at the same time ;).

Hehe trips with grandparents are often some of the most memorable :). Life is filled with grand memories:D.

I just recently found the site that you're on too and bookmarked it but haven't gotten the chance to look through it yet.
The Kowa scope, how is it? It seems more affordable, according to a site I found... Around 499.69-600 US dollars :).

Hi Penguin,

Hope Utterslev Mose is still as good now as it was! Some good birds I have seen there: Sorthalset Lappedykker, Rørdrum, Sort Glente, Pungmejse, Skægmejse, Kærnebider. Where do you mostly go birding?

The Kowa scope is good, I got mine second-hand, so I don't know what the price is. Not really sure how well it compares with other scopes!

Michael

Michael Frankis said:
Hi Penguin,

Hope Utterslev Mose is still as good now as it was! Some good birds I have seen there: Sorthalset Lappedykker, Rørdrum, Sort Glente, Pungmejse, Skægmejse, Kærnebider. Where do you mostly go birding?

The Kowa scope is good, I got mine second-hand, so I don't know what the price is. Not really sure how well it compares with other scopes!

Michael

Darn! Will just have to keep looking myself :D Hehe.

I haven't really gone birding to that extent yet, but I'ev always gone down to the different lakes, parks, harbours and so on. I basically just keep my eyes open, with regards to animals :). I often carry the camera around so that if I ever find anything *STOOOOP* *CLICK CLICK* :p.
Okay, it doesn't always turn out well cause sometimes I just miss shots:(. Yesterday I saw 8 swans I think, flying about 10m away from me in their V formation... and I didn't manage to get a shot off that:(, the lighting was also poor at the time as it was raining haha.

Penguin said:
Finnish is very interesting though... And the longest word in the lang (which doesn't really make sense until it's been broken down) is REALLY LONG! Haha.
A funny example: I just one hour ago observed breeding Podiceps auritus. In Finnish it is mustakurkku-uikku (hey - there's only one letter more than in slavonian grebe!). In twitcher slang that is shortened as mukuru.
Penguin said:
Wow 52? Where abouts did you travel to see these? That's pretty neat :).
Mostly in Sønderborg og German border.
Penguin said:
Was it a program on birds? Or? Sounds pretty neat.
It was a newsflash over Baltic Sea Project, which I participated when I worked as a teacher last millennium.

Karwin said:
A funny example: I just one hour ago observed breeding Podiceps auritus. In Finnish it is mustakurkku-uikku (hey - there's only one letter more than in slavonian grebe!). In twitcher slang that is shortened as mukuru.
Mustakurkkur-uikku sounds nice :). Now I'm wondering if that's the sound the bird makes :).

Mostly in Sønderborg og German border.
Ahh Sønderborg... must be close to the place Michael was talking about, or at least in the neighbourhood:). That sounds good:).

It was a newsflash over Baltic Sea Project, which I participated when I worked as a teacher last millennium.
Hehe, was it a long interview? Got your 5 mins of fame right there? :p.

Penguin said:
Mustakurkkur-uikku sounds nice :). Now I'm wondering if that's the sound the bird makes :).

Hehe, was it a long interview? Got your 5 mins of fame right there? :p.
Mustakurkku-uikku translates as "black-throated grebe". -I am so famous nowadays that I don't count minutes - me count lightyears :D

Karwin said:
Mustakurkku-uikku translates as "black-throated grebe". -I am so famous nowadays that I don't count minutes - me count lightyears :D

Hehe :p.

Thx for the translation :). Musta... black... hmm, cool :).Kurkku sounds like a throat gurgling :p. Uikku just sounds like a bird of some sort :).
Cool stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back