Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 30th June 2014, 22:22   #101
Borjam

I just bit the bullet and purchased the 13 mm. Baader Hyperion.

WOW! I don't have complaints against the quality of the provided zoom at the price, but the view at about 30x (assuming that the 65 mm. Regal M2 has a focal length of 384 mm) goes to the next price level, certainly. At 120 euro it's a really worth upgrade.

The image is much brighter (I would dare to say a whole f-stop, but it's a rough estimate, I didn't made any measurements) and the contrast is certainly better.

And for watching distant shore birds when you will be keeping the magnification to the maximum, so I don't think I will miss the zoom.

I guess I will dare to try one of the larger magnifications, the result has been really encouraging.
Old Tuesday 1st July 2014, 21:07   #102
Lord Muck
Fortune does not change men, it unmasks them.

Has anyone compared the Celestron Regal M2 80ED to a Pentax PF-80 ED spotting scope..?
Old Tuesday 1st July 2014, 22:06   #103
jogiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Muck View Post
Has anyone compared the Celestron Regal M2 80ED to a Pentax PF-80 ED spotting scope..?
I have the 100mm Celestron F-ED and I like using my Pentax 20mm Pentax XW eyepieces in both. I like the view a little better in the in the Pentax with higher contrast but I also like the angled Celestron . Here is a photo of them side by side with 20mm Pentax XWs in each and a video of the Celestron.
https://vimeo.com/38310601
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7716985166_168d424537_b.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	503765  
Old Tuesday 1st July 2014, 22:57   #104
Lord Muck

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
I have the 100mm Celestron F-ED and I like using my Pentax 20mm Pentax XW eyepieces in both. I like the view a little better in the in the Pentax with higher contrast but I also like the angled Celestron . Here is a photo of them side by side with 20mm Pentax XWs in each and a video of the Celestron.
Thanks Jogiba,
I own a Celestron M2 80mm scope and have been offered a new Pentax 80ED for a very low price. I was thinking of getting my dad the Pentax, but if it is better than the Celestron, then he can have the Celestron scope with a new BH 17mm eyepiece .... ( great video by the way )

Last edited by Lord Muck : Wednesday 2nd July 2014 at 00:07.
Old Tuesday 1st July 2014, 23:08   #105
Lord Muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
One other thing,.. when you attach the 20mm XW eyepiece on to the Pentax scope, how sharp would you say the views are beyond say 300 meters..? As Id like some advice on the best Pentax eyepiece to use for long distance birding, scanning hikers and raptors on the nearby mountains, with the Pentax 80ED scope.

Last edited by Lord Muck : Tuesday 1st July 2014 at 23:32.
Old Monday 7th July 2014, 23:22   #106
NatureLvrCanada

I have used this scope off and on this spring and summer. I am very happy with the quality and understand the good reviews this scope has received. The view is sharp and bright. I do not see the purple fringing that I saw when looking at bright snow in the winter. I am sure it is still there under the same conditions but I am happy with the scope overall. I paid around $500 for the Regal M2 80ED (I forget now if it was a Black Friday special or some Christmas special).

I am getting great close-up looks at bald eagles on the nest and peregrine falcons from far away. The view is great. As I am looking thru the scope and the quality, I keep thinking about doing some digi-scoping. Is the Celestron Universal adapter the best tool or are there other options? I plan to use small point and shoot cameras like the Panasonic LX-7.
Old Thursday 10th July 2014, 15:16   #107
Jonathan Avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureLvrCanada View Post
I have used this scope off and on this spring and summer. I am very happy with the quality and understand the good reviews this scope has received. The view is sharp and bright. I do not see the purple fringing that I saw when looking at bright snow in the winter. I am sure it is still there under the same conditions but I am happy with the scope overall. I paid around $500 for the Regal M2 80ED (I forget now if it was a Black Friday special or some Christmas special).

I am getting great close-up looks at bald eagles on the nest and peregrine falcons from far away. The view is great. As I am looking thru the scope and the quality, I keep thinking about doing some digi-scoping. Is the Celestron Universal adapter the best tool or are there other options? I plan to use small point and shoot cameras like the Panasonic LX-7.
I appreciate that this thread is about the Celestron Regal M2 ED series but I wonder if anyone has been able to compare the Celestron M2's to what must be a close competitor, the Hawke Endurance ED series - 68mm and 85, also built in China for a European company, UK this time not US. Both brands are in the same middle sector of the market.
Old Friday 11th July 2014, 08:27   #108
Lord Muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Avery View Post
I appreciate that this thread is about the Celestron Regal M2 ED series but I wonder if anyone has been able to compare the Celestron M2's to what must be a close competitor, the Hawke Endurance ED series - 68mm and 85, also built in China for a European company, UK this time not US. Both brands are in the same middle sector of the market.
Hi Jonathan,
Ive not been able to compare my Celestron Regal M2 ED 80mm against a Hawke Endurance ED scope, but Im sure someone on here will have.
On a side note, I have a Hawke rifle scope on my .22 Weihrauch air rifle and the view is always very sharp.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: