• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (8 Viewers)

I'd go for the Solitary Sand! Jacks are a lot easier to connect with that Solitary Sands.

Andy what did you connect with on Scilly - you got the Waterthrush and the sandpiper - any other biggies?

Also interested to know the logistics if you don't mind sharing - how did you get there, length of time on the islands, cost etc.

I know it's not Yorkshire, but is relevant on a Yorkshire thread for birders needing to travel from Yorkshire.

Andy what did you connect with on Scilly - you got the Waterthrush and the sandpiper - any other biggies?

Also interested to know the logistics if you don't mind sharing - how did you get there, length of time on the islands, cost etc.

I know it's not Yorkshire, but is relevant on a Yorkshire thread for birders needing to travel from Yorkshire.

Hi Steve,

Waterthrush and Solitary Sand were the biggies though Red-eyed Vireo was high up there. Other goodies included Lesser Yellowlegs, 2 Buff-breasted Sand (including a self-found on at St Just), 3 Pectoral Sandpipers, Ortolan Bunting, Woodchat Shrike, Wryneck, Icky, Balearic Shearwater, Leach's Storm Petrel, Minke Whale, Common Dolphin, Sun Fish.

Went with Dave and drove through the night. The plan was to fly there and back (c£65 each way) but weather foggy so we got the boat back (was a good turn of events really). We had 3 nights in a B&B, fairly reasonable prices at this time of year c£35 a night. No boats/flights on/off on sunday which is a shame and enforces a long-weekend.

Anyone interested in the Waterthrush will need to stay overnight as the best times to see it are evening before it goes to roost and first thing in the morning. The views of it, and all the other birds in my list above showed incredibly well which made it even more enjoyable.

Dave and I are heading back down there again for the 3rd week of October, hoping for some more goodies! Just about to upload some pictures of the Waterthrush to my blog

Hope this helps, Andy

Pleased to find this just off the beach at Filey today. More pics of the Filey birds & other more distant species listed on the blog

Attachments

• 05-10-11RTDiverFiley.jpg
    05-10-11RTDiverFiley.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 125
I'm visting Scarborough on Sunday for a few days. Any suggestions for good birding sites?

If you are restricted to just scarborough then anywhere on the sea front, cliffs, beach, rocks, harbour. Also the bushes and trees up around the castle area have potential at this time of year.

Yes Trystan, the British list is usually the most important to birders, (each to their own though). Don't regret it later - you could be years waiting for another Solitary, or have to travel to Ireland or Scilly etc. to catch up with one - this is on your doorstep.

Jack Snipes are annual if you want them to be.

Think thats the way I will be going unless things change on Friday.

Anyone know if the toilets are working yet in the Bluebell car park, Kilnsea? Need to let my 'students' know if they have to bring along some extra receptacles!

Any sign of easterlies? Quietest autumn I can remember so far in Yorkshire

No sign, westerlies blasting across scandinavia as well so doubt whether many eastern birds will get to the North sea let alone cross it. Never mind, save a bob or two. Government inspectors in on Tuesday so may have to give it a miss this weekend in any case.

Probable Adult Bonaparte's Gull reported at Tophill Low NR flying from Watton NR at 09.25. Will there this afternoon. Check out the Jack Snipe for the 3rd day as well.

I've been told there is/was a reliable jack snipe location near home. I've never had one but I haven't really tried as it involves a possible trespass and the cows might not like my presence either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back