• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with rescued young House Sparrow (1 Viewer)

stew the smew

Registered User - but trying to quit.
I've just had to rescue a young house sparrow which is well feathered but not enough to have fledged yet as it can't fly yet.

It had fallen out of its nest in the privet hedge next door onto a main road. The mother was close by as was the nest. I understand you're supposed to leave them but it really didn't stand a chance.

I have it in a box an would welcome any advice on what to with it.

If anybody with an avery or pet birds would be able to look after it until it is able to fly that would be great. I'm in the Newcastle/South Tyneside area.

Regards,

Stew

Hi Stew,

You may already read it thought,
the top thread of this forum would be help of you. Its gidlines for the birds in the case.
I'm searching more pin-point info.

Yuko

Can't you out it back in the nest? If you can reach, that's the best bet.

If not, you're going to have to feed it, by force, or it will starve to death in a few hours.

If you want to start feeding it, mix up and egg yolk with a little flour and make up an omelette/pancake type thing. When cool, cut it into tiny pieces (about 3 x 3 mm). You then need to force feed it. Get someone to hold it gently but firmly in one hand, while someone else opens the bill. A small nail/tack will be handy for this. When the bill is open, use your finger to brace it open, and use the nail to pop some of the pancake titbit into the mouth, at the back, beyond the tongue. Poke it right in. Then let go of the bill til it swallows. Give it about 5 pieces every hour. And dip every other piece in water, shaking off the excess.

That will do as a stop gap, but you need to get some mealworms (from livefood.co.uk). Cut their heads off, cut them in half, and feed them with the nail, as before.

Next step is the fledge it after another 10-15 days or so, but I'm guessing it will be dead by morning (they often are). So will wait and see before wearing my fingers out.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back