• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (5 Viewers)

Our Survey Said (yet again)...........

Andrew - I was at the place I pm'd you about yesterday this morning. Crossbill, Buzzards, Peregrine and 1 U/K (too fast and too many trees), bits and NO GOSHAWKS! You can't do any worse. At least I am consistent!

Andrew - I was at the place I pm'd you about yesterday this morning. Crossbill, Buzzards, Peregrine and 1 U/K (too fast and too many trees), bits and NO GOSHAWKS! You can't do any worse. At least I am consistent!

What time did you get there?

We arrived at about 11am and I picked up a large female Goshawk and my friend picked up what we said was a male. So we had 2 Goshawk at that place as well as 2 Sparrowhawk, and loads of Buzzards. Also a male Common Crossbill was a life tick for me!:t:

Also we went to another watchpoint and toward the very end of the day I picked out another large female Goshawk (just slightly smaller than a buzzard) way off in the distance.

No great views but at least I saw 3 Goshawks.:t: I must have got about a 30 second view of the Goshawks at the watchpoint you sent me.

What not to see next?

Harwood Forest - where do you enter it? What's the floor like (wellies or hikers)? Tutehill Moss appears to be burried in the middle. Am I right? Any assistance would, as ever be welcome.

I would park near Harwood village and walk north up the track from there. It's all forest roads that are well used by the logging wagons, so walking boots should be ok, although I have never been as far in as Tutehill moss.

Matters Meteorological

Some very interesting weather Tue and Wed - strong and very strong Northerlies and Easterlies, and a beautiful day on Thursday to tick all that the winds bring in!

Big Sparrowhawks

If you do go for the GGS, keep an eye out for big Sparrowhawks. ;)

...worth keeping your eyes open around the cramlington area also. as my mate and me discovered on our way up to druridge on saturday :)

cracking afternoon at harwood today. no raptors of note this time but the shrike was showing superbly.

Could I ask where is the best place to park and walk to see the Great Grey Shrike? Also is it a long walk to go and see the Shrike or just a short walk from where you park? The only reason I ask is because of time.

I might try and persuade my Dad to take me to see it on Firday or Saturday, I really like these college holidays.

Thanks,
Andrew K

Could I ask where is the best place to park and walk to see the Great Grey Shrike? Also is it a long walk to go and see the Shrike or just a short walk from where you park? The only reason I ask is because of time.

I might try and persuade my Dad to take me to see it on Firday or Saturday, I really like these college holidays.

Thanks,
Andrew K

Hi Andrew,

Park at Harwood village - it's 40 mins walk from here. Map & directions on my blog. Hope the weather improves for you.

http://wildupnorth.blogspot.com/2010/03/harwood-hike-to-take-butchers-at-shrike.html

Still there - see my blog.

Well done for spotting it in the first place Gordon, just reward for an extremely patient stake-out B :)
I haven't had many GGS in Northumberland, 4 now in fact, and this was easily the most unobliging of them all.
We never saw it again after AMc and and I saw it in flight. We gave up after 13.00.

Keith

Male Black Redstart in my back garden at 6.30pm. Stayed in the area for 10 minutes, but then disappeared towards the coast. I live in the Briardene Estate, right by Whitley Bay cemetry. Best garden tick ever for me, and my wife was almost as excited!

Far(ne) To Go

Wiser Birders - Farne Islands. Boat excursion, I presume. Any recommended providers and perhaps even a telephone number. Weather is (allegedly) crap today but much improved tomorrow and Friday, and with a week off work, and riding on the crest of a wave (great nautical pun, eh!) after the GGS, I may dabble (never seen a Bluethroat and there's one there today). Advice is, as always, much appreciated.

Wiser Birders - Farne Islands. Boat excursion, I presume. Any recommended providers and perhaps even a telephone number. Weather is (allegedly) crap today but much improved tomorrow and Friday, and with a week off work, and riding on the crest of a wave (great nautical pun, eh!) after the GGS, I may dabble (never seen a Bluethroat and there's one there today). Advice is, as always, much appreciated.

Billy Shiels is your man. His family run boat trips to the Farnes although you can only land on certain islands. Have a look at: http://www.farne-islands.com/

I think he starts his trips in April so you might be just in time - that's if the birds decide to hang around. NOTE the National trust charge a fiver or so as a landing fee when you arrive.

Holy Island may be a good bet for Bluethroat. If they're turning up on the Farnes then they sometimes get them here too.

Birdguides have just reported this !!!!! No it's NOT April 1st yet so I'm assuming this is genuine. Even if it's from one of the Scottish introductions, it's very tickable as these populations are self-sustaining. Cracking bird for the county though.

31/03 16:47 NORTHUMBERLAND : White-tailed Eagle, Prestwick Carr [A]
bird wearing two rings perched in bush at NZ192737 late afternoon (16:40)

June - I want to marry you and have your children!

Before updating my blog this afternoon, I looked at Birdguides and nothing overly exciting was there. After completing my labours, I checked this forum and saw your eagle reference. Fifteen minutes later, Lifer 248. I owe you big time. Had you not added the entry to the forum, I would have sloped off to make the kids' tea, ignorant of what I was missing (Vipers, your call was well received but if I had set off then, the bird would probably have gone).

June????

I couldn't ring you any sooner as I was hot footing it to Prestwick Carr, after passing there twenty minutes earlier on my way home from work.

It's now being reported wearing a radio transmitter, so may not be as wild as we hoped.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back