• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Zeiss victory 8x20 and 10x25 victory phase corrected? (1 Viewer)

nyatt

I have been wondering this for a while. The Design Selection compact binoculars from Zeiss clearly state that they have T*P* coatings for transmission and phase correction, but the Victory compacts with the same form factor but pull down eyecups state only T*. Does that mean that they do not have phase corrected coatings on the prisms? Seems strange. Or has Zeiss just decided not to show the P* any more.
Thanks!

They are phase corrected. Sometime after Zeiss stopped selling roofs with phase-correction, they dropped the "P".

Hermann

They are phase corrected. Sometime after Zeiss stopped selling roofs with phase-correction, they dropped the "P".

Hermann

Herman is absolutely correct apart from a slip of the keyboard: the reference to P* faded away after Zeiss stopped selling roofs without phase-correction.

Catalogues as far back as 2005 do not refer to P* and FLs do not carry a reference to it and neither do HTs, which are not marked with T* either.

Lee

Thank you. I figured it was some reasoning along those lines, but it is nice to read it from informed folks.

They are all phase-coated, but for anyone buying used, note that early production (first few years?) was not dielectric coated, but everything since has been. If I remember correctly, the switch to dielectric coating coincided with the addition of the molded-in Victory Compact name to the rubber armor near the hinge.

--AP

They are all phase-coated, but for anyone buying used, note that early production (first few years?) was not dielectric coated, but everything since has been. If I remember correctly, the switch to dielectric coating coincided with the addition of the molded-in Victory Compact name to the rubber armor near the hinge.

--AP

Hi Alex

That's a neat bit of info!

I have a copy of a 2005 brochure which refers to the new dielectric coating being available from May that year. The pics don't show the moulded name next to the hinge in the brochure but this doesn't mean much.

Lee

Herman is absolutely correct apart from a slip of the keyboard: the reference to P* faded away after Zeiss stopped selling roofs without phase-correction.

Thanks ... :)

One point to note is that some early phase-coated roofs don't have the "P" on the body of the binocular. Zeiss used all the old bodies and just put a sticker with the "P" on the box. I still have an 8x30 BGAT that *is* phase-coated even though it doesn't say so on the binocular itself.

Hermann

Thanks ... :)

One point to note is that some early phase-coated roofs don't have the "P" on the body of the binocular. Zeiss used all the old bodies and just put a sticker with the "P" on the box. I still have an 8x30 BGAT that *is* phase-coated even though it doesn't say so on the binocular itself.

Hermann

That's an interesting observation Hermann. This probably happened at the same time Zeiss was trying to decide whether to call the phase-correction coating P or P*. Zeiss used both but the coating was the same.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back