• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

Arctic Skua and a few Gannets heading south this afternoon and we managed a Norfolk Hawker very close to my house today...

beer festival tops last night, me, holly and Ilya off there again shortly! Showler 'tired' after last night!

Might be worth trying a few likely spots (Strumpshaw or Hickling say) for Spotted Crake? We managed Savi's earlier in the year. But not visible. Difficult situation and i sympathise greatly Rural but it's the done thing not broadcast sites of this species though. PM me next year!

Wandered for a lunchtime pint with the better half and the dog down to the Star at Lessingham noting on the way a dark Marsh Harrier being mobbed by a Carrion Crow over Happisburgh. There's been a good hatch of Ringlets along here too....

James

I had a good day at Strumpshaw today and managed to miss all but one shower.

A Barn Owl was hunting at 10.30 in the morning and it was possible to see its chicks peering out of the front of the nest box. There was some good Marsh Harrier action, especially between a male and female at one point and being mobbed by gulls for much of the time. A Cuckoo was still calling for much of the day from the Rockland side of the river.

I saw three Grass Snakes, a couple of Norfolk Hawker dragonflies and quite a few Reed Buntings (one of my favourites). One highlight for me was a couple of beautiful Bullfinches in the trees near the little pond by the Reception.

There were also two Pipits perched on gate posts near the river. They were in exactly the same place when I was there three weeks ago. I couldn't decide if they were Meadow Pipits or Tree Pipits although they seemed to fit the Tree Pipits in my guide: yellowish tinge to the breast with dark brown flecks on it. They would fly off in a jerky flight pattern, do a very large circle and land back in the same place. Anyone with any tips on how to tell the difference?

I had great fun playing with my new Nikon ED50 scope purchased from Cley Spy yesterday. Very nice.

Ron

Last edited:
I saw three Grass Snakes, a couple of Norfolk Hawker dragonflies and quite a few Reed Buntings (one of my favourites). One highlight for me was a couple of beautiful Bullfinches in the trees near the little pond by the Reception.

Would be interested to hear roughly where you saw those grass snakes, I've
never seen them on this reserve before!!

Nic read btw, though the trouble I find with strumpshaw is I always feel compelled to walk to buckenham and look for waders by the old pump house - takes up a bit of time on foot but there is usually something milling about.

Matt

Would be interested to hear roughly where you saw those grass snakes, I've
never seen them on this reserve before!!

Nic read btw, though the trouble I find with strumpshaw is I always feel compelled to walk to buckenham and look for waders by the old pump house - takes up a bit of time on foot but there is usually something milling about.

Matt

It's where the path divides for the flower meadow or the Fen hide. On the triangle between the paths there are two heaps of straw or hay and I have seen them basking there several times. I was actually looking for them today. I have also seen one swimming in front of the Tower hide and it was a surprisingly accomplished swimmer.

Ron

Hangover birding with Tim this weekend inbetween attending Happisburgh beer festival. Arctic Skua and a few Gannets on Saturday. Eventually caught up with my first Fulmar of the year after a bit of seawatching at Waxham on Sunday too before driving to Great Ryburgh for the Honey Buzzard, which put in a brief appearance after a rain shower.

Ruralchill - I believe I recall Andy Cotton saying on the sufbirds county yearlist site that he'd moved to Cambridgeshire

It's where the path divides for the flower meadow or the Fen hide. On the triangle between the paths there are two heaps of straw or hay and I have seen them basking there several times. I was actually looking for them today. I have also seen one swimming in front of the Tower hide and it was a surprisingly accomplished swimmer.

Ron

Thanks for that, know exactly where you mean ~ will keep my eyes open for next week!!

Matt

Alpine Swift at Hunstanton this morning 8.21am and still this evening at 8.10pm, by the lighthouse - not sure if this was the same one that was seen at Titchwell yesterday.

Little Bittern seen again this morning at Titchwell and this afternoon at 3pm.

Last edited:
Had super views of Alpine Swift till 9:00pm this evening at least, coming really close at times right over our heads.

Little Bittern still calling at Titchwell at 8:15pm but refusing to show itself.

Cheers,

Connor Rand

Thanks for that, know exactly where you mean ~ will keep my eyes open for next week!!

Matt

As well as the old hay piles (where we had three grass snakes on Saturday) I also had one at the other side of the reserve hiding in amongst the old railway sleepers piled at the side of the path between the tower hide and the railway line. These were also home to over ten common lizards basking in the sun.

We managed 14 species of butterfly on the saturday on the moth and butterfly day, and the moth trap produced some magnificent specimens - eyed hawk, small elephant, popular hawk, rosy footman, buff ermine, burnished brass, bufftip... Worth catching the next moth event
http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/s/strumpshawfen/events.asp?id=tcm:9-161774 - they really are amzing insects.

Best bit though was watching the hobby catching dragons in front of the tower hide in the afternoon - smashing views - really close.

These were also home to over ten common lizards basking in the sun.

Best bit though was watching the hobby catching dragons in front of the tower hide in the afternoon - smashing views - really close.

Wow, I'll definately be checking for those lizards next visit ~ thanks for the info :t:

Regarding Hobby's, I seem to find them a little thin on the ground this year?
So far have only seen one at Buckenham marsh RSPB ~ usually have seen two or three by now even out in the backwater!!

Matt

Wow, I'll definately be checking for those lizards next visit ~ thanks for the info :t:

Regarding Hobby's, I seem to find them a little thin on the ground this year?
So far have only seen one at Buckenham marsh RSPB ~ usually have seen two or three by now even out in the backwater!!

Matt

Hi Matt
Just had one over the house!
Sue

Couple of Arctic skuas south past Waxham on Sunday with Ilya,one pale phase, one dark phase. Three Sand Martins south at Eccles / Sea Palling

Had an amazing c.800 Swifts (in ten minutes!) heading south through Sea Palling and Waxham ahead of heavy cloud and rain

Tim

Dipped massively on the White Winged Black Tern at Cley, arrived 7.35pm Coastguards (Tuesday eve) and at 7.25pm it had bombed down Blakeney Point to roost!!!!!!! BOTHER!!!!!! Never mind!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back