• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (13 Viewers)

I'm off to Norfolk tomorrow. Hope to try for the Monty's and visit Titchwell on the first day then head down to Lakenheath on Saturday. The last few posts have really whetted my appetite. Bring it on!!!

Sue - Don't forgot to look out for the Yellow nosed Albatross on your travels, seen in Lincolnshire recently!!!!!!!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Cor.......wouldn't that be nice Penny? Luckily for me I saw a Yellow-nosed Albatross as I was heading for the Falkland Islands in 1998. All Abatrosses are wonderful. But to see one in Norfolk would be fantastic!
Sue

A Dark-eyed Junco in Norfolk! A bit unexpected for the time of year. Thanks to the residents of Langham for putting up with us all and letting us into their gardens. I am afraid I only got a poor shot of the bird facing away from me as it only sat briefly, I felt obliged to leave to let others into the garden who had not seen it. Hope you all did.
Sue

Attachments

• Dark-eyed-Junco-(1)-Langham.jpg
    Dark-eyed-Junco-(1)-Langham.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 147
Managed to see the Dark-eyed Junco at c. 6:30 and again at c. 7:00 pm. Was in Wiltshire when news broke so relieved to see it to say the least. A pleasant affair as well that seemed to run very smoothly, not what I expected in terms of parking/pushing/angry neighbours etc...

cheers, you did well to get a pic at all Sue, i'd be very happy with that

Connor

Saw the bird at 6.30pm too at No 10 (NEW TICK!!!!!) - brilliant views in sunshine, thank you to the owners of the house - hope they made lots of money for RSPB:t: :t: :t:

Roseate Tern on the beach yesterday (Sea Palling)

Little Gull reported this morning

been a few Manx and Arctics passing last few days, along with Gannets, good numbers of Sandwich Terns etc and the odd Kittiewakes and Fulmars

Whimbrel passed by this evening - sat on the beach with a bottle of wine, the missus and dog as the sky slowly turned blood red

might be arsed with the junco at some point tomorrow perhaps, long time since the Hants bird / Naumann's Thrush day!

Roseate reported again this morning briefly (6.05-6.15)

several Arctic Skua passing, and an ad YLG

better day to look for Rosy today - beach will be very quiet with the sun in

Anyone know what the Nightjar situation is around Kelling and Salthouse heaths at the moment?

Probably going to Cley for a few hours monday, looking at the maps etc Kelling and Salthouse look like a 'doable' walk on my way back to sheringham station, would be plenty of time as the last train leaves just after 23.00!

Matt

Possible Dark Eyed Junco at Waxham, just west of dunes. Flew into Willows. Another one!

Any news Tim?

Jason

Edit: not Sea aPalling. Sorry.

Last edited:
Very quiet at Strumpshaw yesterday apart from probably the best views I have ever had of Marsh Harriers with two female and one male flying about and finally perching on a tree about 100 metres away. It gave me a chance to try out my digiscoping technique with my new Nikon ED50 scope (three photos attached.)

I also nearly fell over a Grass Snake which was basking at the side of the path. We noticed each other at the same time when I was about a metre away and it dived into the reeds and disappeared at an amazing speed.

Ron

Attachments

• Harrier 1 small.jpg
    Harrier 1 small.jpg
    648.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 2 Harriers 2 small.jpg
    2 Harriers 2 small.jpg
    703.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Harrier silhouette 1 small.jpg
    Harrier silhouette 1 small.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 87
Ron - were there many Butterflies about, esp Swallowtails? and what about Dragonflies?

Did a dragonfly workshop at Strumpshaw today. Not the best of weather, but we managed Red-eyed, emerald, blue-tailed and azure damsels, 4-spot, Southern, Common/Ruddy (fleeting sighting) and three Norfolk hawkers.

No swallowtails - but we were in the wrong end of the reserve, but good numbers of freshly emerged peacocks, along with red admiral, brimstone, meadow brown, speckled wood and all 3 whites.

After yesterday's Mega Twitch and then racing back to Lynn to watch Heather Small (M People) singing at Festival Too in King's Lynn market place (with a few thousand people) and going round friends for beers after (cracking day all round), decided to have a chilled day birding at Holme!!!

Arrived at 8.50am (hour late for tide!) and did some seawatching: 4 turnstones, 2 common terns, 2 little terns, 11 sandwich terns, 1 great black backed gull, 8 immature gannets plus 4 adults (at least - but a long way out), 2 imm. black headed gulls on shore, 4 black headed gulls. Walked over to observatory and had good views of sparrowhawk plumuting through pines! Great Spotted woodpecker heard in pines, 1 broad bodied chaser, gatekeepers, meadow browns, 2 ringlets and 2 avocets flew over broadwater, 1 ruddy duck. Walked back to carpark and saw a lesser whitethroat whilst having a lovely picnic and 40 winks! on carpark in sunshine.

Parked half way down Firs road and went round the forestry, looking very beautiful with lots of flowers out, but not alot else!!! oh apart from a linnet and a few magpies!!!!

Popped in parents for tea and chinwag and then went to Holme Marsh Bird Reserve to see a female tufted duck, heron, 20 black tailed godwits, few lapwings and not much else.

Brilliant weekends birding.

obvious passage of Sand Martins south this morning and early afternoon. Seemed to be coming through in little bursts

no sign of 'possible' DEJ at Waxham, or the finder.

Sandwich Terns numerous now at Sea Palling and the first returning Sanderlings on the beach tonight. Couple of Kittiwakes, few Gannets, 17 Common Scoters north. Only a couple of Common Terns and no sign of the Rosy this evening.

Tim

A Dark-eyed Junco in Norfolk! A bit unexpected for the time of year. Thanks to the residents of Langham for putting up with us all and letting us into their gardens. I am afraid I only got a poor shot of the bird facing away from me as it only sat briefly, I felt obliged to leave to let others into the garden who had not seen it. Hope you all did.
Sue

I think I was there at the same time as you Sue (looks like I missed a BF200 tick). I spent an hour there and saw the bird for all of ~6 seconds! Cracking little bird though, I managed a single frame on it! Just a shame I had to go back to work and couldn't spend more time there.

So is this going to be classed as a first for Norfolk? I know there was the bird in 1980 that was released at Holme, but looking back at old records it doesn't seem to be classed as a Norfolk record..?

Attachments

• darkeyedjunco_140707_0001.jpg
    darkeyedjunco_140707_0001.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 109
I was there at around the same time as Penny, PostcardCV, so looks like I missed out on a bf tick as well! Was sitting in front of the conservatory of garden no. 10 on the right hand side!

Connor

I think I was there at the same time as you Sue (looks like I missed a BF200 tick). I spent an hour there and saw the bird for all of ~6 seconds! Cracking little bird though, I managed a single frame on it! Just a shame I had to go back to work and couldn't spend more time there.

So is this going to be classed as a first for Norfolk? I know there was the bird in 1980 that was released at Holme, but looking back at old records it doesn't seem to be classed as a Norfolk record..?

Sorry I missed you. I was there from around 1.45pm (ish) sitting by the pond at no.10 (near Steve Gatlett) and then moved to sit on the front edge of the patio at number 6 after Dave told us that it had been showing there. Steve Gantlett came to sit near to me there too. You got a lovely photo. I wish I could have stayed longer but didn't feel it fair when others were waiting.

Be good to say hello at next twitch!

I am sure we all give thanks to the householders who so generously let us invade their privacy.

Sue

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back