• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

London Birding. (1 Viewer)

London Birder

Much the same as other recent threads, thought I'd start this one for the London recording area (20 miles in every direction from St. Pauls Cathedral) ... sightings, info exchange, site gen etc ...

sightings from yesterday (May 25th) include:

*possible Great White Egret (not confirmed nor relocated) east over Chafford Hundred at 06.51hrs.

*Osprey south over The Wetland Centre at 11.20hrs.

*Garganey at Valentines Park.

Last edited:
London Birder said:
Much the same as other recent threads, thought I'd start this one for the London recording area (20 miles in every direction from St. Pauls Cathedral) ... sightings, info exchange, site gen etc ...

sightings from yesterday (May 26th) include:

*possible Great White Egret (not confirmed nor relocated) east over Chafford Hundred at 06.51hrs.

*Osprey south over The Wetland Centre at 11.20hrs.

*Garganey at Valentines Park.

Hobby on Beddington SF last night
Greenshank on Beddington SF last night

Nice one, Des. About time too.

Look forward to being gripped off wholesale on my old stamping ground. Since I've moved there have been Waxwings just by my old house (doubtless in or over the garden!) and the recent Staines Bluethroat was quite painful.........

Gavin Haig said:
Nice one, Des. About time too.

Look forward to being gripped off wholesale on my old stamping ground. Since I've moved there have been Waxwings just by my old house (doubtless in or over the garden!) and the recent Staines Bluethroat was quite painful.........

you're not wrong Gavin, couldn't get out for it myself and still need the beasty for London ..

edit: one or two faces you may recognise in this Gavin, from a small soiree we decided to have last Saturday >

http://www.piczo.com/londonbirders?cr=6&rfm=y

Last edited:
London Birder said:
the Valentines Park Garganey is now thought to be an escapee !

not sure why
My dear boy are you sure that the people in the picture are not the escapees,rather than the bird.

POP

good quezzie POP ... I suppose said Garganey must be ringed or some such, don't remember any wildfowl collection there when RN Duck turned up ...

good site for LSW's

POP said:
My dear boy are you sure that the people in the picture are not the escapees,rather than the bird.

POP
Indeed!! Can't believe that any of this bunch of obvious reprobates could possibly be a birder. Where are their Barbour jackets??

Can't say I recognise any, officer, the light wasn't too good. 3:)

May 28th.
*Totteridge Valley > 3 Red Kite NE 09.05hrs.
*Finchley > Red Kite west 18.53hrs.
*Ingrebourne Valley > m Garganey.

May 29th.
*Sevenoaks Wildfowl Reserve > Golden Oriole.
*Warlingham > Red Kite west 08.12hrs.

Great thread - keep it coming, very useful for newcomers like me....... Full name of site would be useful though (if it's not a secret) - e.g. where is Beddington SF, Warlingham etc...

Last edited:
adw73uk said:
Great thread - keep it coming, very useful for newcomers like me....... Full name of site would be useful though (if it's not a secret) - e.g. where is Beddington SF, Warlingham etc...

...you'd be better off not knowing (bandit-country) ;)

plus it's hard birding in top hats and fog you couldn't see a Zebra in at 10ft

edit: adw, the kites were just flyovers but if you want site gen for anything on the deck let me know, I don't even charge much!

Last edited:
a quiet few days ...

June 1st.
*Yellow-legged Gull > a 2nd-s at the Wetland Centre ..

smattering of waders elsewhere, nothing earth shattering ..

June 3rd.
*Red Kite > north over Dagenham 10.10hrs.
June 4th.
*Montagu's Harrier > at Rainham Marshes, not heard much more on detail as yet, think it's a fem.

Birdguides reported a Nightjar churring and showing well in Teddington last night!!

Regards

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back