• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best IS Bino - ? (1 Viewer)

payj

I have decided on either an 7 or 8x for a standard bino.

I think it would be fun to have my next bino be IS and am deciding on which one.

I have been reading and it does not seem like the quality of the Canon stays the same with clarity and stabilization the further you move up. So I was thinking of the 15x50 I see they just came out with a new 12x36 as well.

So what would you guys suggest? Also any other quality brands? Price does not matter.

Thanks!

general use?
birding?
astronomy?

this is a hard question for me, and apparently others as no responses yet

for astronomy-definately the 15x50
for general use-probably the 10x42 but extra weight an issue
for birding-the 12x36 compliments your 7-8x binoculars ; but 15x gives more reach on distant birds; 10x has waterproofing

edj

I didn't bother to read the thread because I expected 10 persons would jump in and say "the 10x42" of course, although mention of the Fuji 14x40 was expected too.

Well, let's talk about Canons (the only ones I know).

8x25 and 10x30 (I didn't bother having them) are in the compact traditional binoculars area. They have magnifications that don't need IS that much and they are more fragile and complicated than traditional Porros and Roofs, without being waterproof.

12x36 II (I have it) has a magnification that makes it different than the usual handhelds. It is light and a joy to use. Very good for birding of pelagic birds and raptors (daytime). I have it and consider it the first option since it has the same body and exit pupil as the 10x30 but gives you something the regular 8-10x30-42 don't. Main problems: Not sufficient short focus and a yellow color aberration at the edge of high contrast targets.

10x42 (I don't have it yet) is different than the others. It doesn't follow the ~3mm exit pupil but is a hybrid of IS and a birding binoculars, with better glass and a price between a Zeiss Conquest HD and a Zeiss Victory HT. But as a hybrid it is heavier than roof 10x42s. But if batteries die out you can still hold it and continue.

15x50 and 18x50 (I have the 18x50) are heavy binoculars. You have to use a wide Neoprene band to save your neck. It is difficult to take them for birding walk, but if you are on a shore or a chair you may enjoy it on distant birds and even more distant stars. The Moon is thrilling with 18x50. They have better glass than the 12x36 (UD) with less of the same yellow CA. They are water resistant (not -proof) and a nice alternative to a spotting scope, if you mainly use that at low magnifications.

Overall, the most balanced is the 12x36 I think.

I have decided on either an 7 or 8x for a standard bino.

I think it would be fun to have my next bino be IS and am deciding on which one.

I have been reading and it does not seem like the quality of the Canon stays the same with clarity and stabilization the further you move up. So I was thinking of the 15x50 I see they just came out with a new 12x36 as well.

So what would you guys suggest? Also any other quality brands? Price does not matter.

Thanks!

If stability is what you want, the 10x30 IS is the best in that regard. It's also much lighter than the 10x42 and much less expensive, but even the 10x30s do vary in stability from sample to sample. I had the best out of five samples tested and it worked well except occasionally when following fast birds such as swallows, which would create streaks. A friend also had a 10x30 IS, and the image in his tended to "swim" around the FOV, which made me nauseous unless I was seated.

There are not many other companies that make IS bins, and the Fuji and Nikon are made for boatings, so they correct a different kind of motion (roll) than the Canons (microvibrations).

If I were going to buy one now, and could afford it, I would buy the 12x36 IS II, because I can hold some 10x bins fairly steady when seated but 12x shakes too much, and it would truly give me the extra reach that my 8x bins couldn't, and because it now has ED glass, which reduces CA.

The 10x42 IS probably gives a better image with it's "L" glass, but it's too heavy for all day field use unless you've got biceps like Arnold.

Brock

Brock,

I am reading on the 10s and like you sort of mention they may not be enough to justify not just buying 10x standard binos.

I want IS to truly reach past the 7x8x threshold by hand. It sucks that canon did not make the L model 12x36, I would ponder that for the extra $$$ as it is also waterproof, uses better glass and from what I am reading is better built?

To truly compliment NOT compete with the 7x I am thinking of getting either the 12x or 15x. The 15 being much bigger and heavier. Not sure if its worth it.

Sorry, general use, whatever comes my way!!!! :)

I am not a birder, though I hike, hunt, and just mess around in the wild! Haha

Just want something for some extra reach that my 7x will not provide.

Packing out I will likely just bring my 7s.

Sorry, general use, whatever comes my way!!!! :)

I am not a birder, though I hike, hunt, and just mess around in the wild! Haha

Just want something for some extra reach that my 7x will not provide.

Packing out I will likely just bring my 7s.

Extra reach beyond a 7x for general "messing around" in the woods could be gotten by going to a 10x42 without IS. Drop the IS and you should shed some weight, save some money and won't have to worry about batteries dying in the field. 15x bins are going to have a pretty narrow field of view and may not be that useful in woodland settings.

IS is most useful when you need to extract that last bit of detail for bird identification, splitting stars, etc. It should be easy to hand hold a regular 10x for most observing.

Last edited:
I would be buying 12X + I would not buy the 10x i have decided. Like you say, I should just buy non IS for that.

I think the IS would be cool for looking more in the open at our beach house at boats etc. Or just off in the distance somewhere.

In the woods camping, i will bring my 7x Leica. More versatile, wateproof and far superior in low light, etc.

This IS will be more niche purpose driven.

12x36 seems a reasonable choice

pros
-lighter weight
-cheaper price
-better compliment to the 7-8x

cons
-not waterproof

edj

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back