• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are BF (optics) Posters Representative of Birders Generally? (1 Viewer)

Honestly this is the big thing for me. I have no problem with people who buy alpha quality binoculars, no matter their skill level nor reason for purchase. But for me, the quality you can get at the 400-600 & 800-1200$ price ranges are so high that it ia difficult for me, as someone who uses binoculars near daily for both personal and professional use, to even justify looking above that, even if I did have infinite disposable income.
What's your age?

What's your age?

Not sure why that matters, but 25.5. But I've birded since I was 12 and have owned everything from my first hand-me-down 7x35 military issue porros to cheap Bushnells to Swarovski ELs to (currently) the Kowa Genesis.

I've compared my Kowa to SVs to FLs to UVs, and optically, I cannot say I'd prefer any of those. The main reason I'd purchase an alpha is ergonomics, as there aren't a whole lot of lightweight options that rival the optics of the Kowa aside from the 8x32 Victory FL and the 8x32 Swarovision.

I use an alpha because of my deep respect for fast-moving raptors and I think it's an insult to observe them with anything less than a prestige binocular.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Binoculars-Vintage-Prestige-with-Peach-Case-/221847328134?hash=item33a7219586

:-O I think the poor owner of that binocular was the victim of "alpha shaming" while birding because he/she appears to have covered the brand name "Prestige" on the prism housing with a piece of duct tape. I can hear it now:

"Oh look at Mr. high-and-mighty status seeker. Carrying around a "Prestige" binocular. I can see as many birds as he can, just you wait. Look at him craving status, flaunting his money like that. Heck, my cat knows Empidonax as well as he does. Hmmph!" ;)

Last edited:
It's up to us binonerds to help the viewing public, so do your part!

LOL! Apparently so. Even though I would give eyecup adjustments the same degree of difficulty as adjusting the rear view mirror in a vehicle, or perhaps turn signals.

Oh wait, there's a bunch of people who don't know how to use those either... LOL!

:-O I think the poor owner of that binocular was the victim of "alpha shaming" while birding because he/she appears to have covered the brand name "Prestige" on the prism housing with a piece of duct tape. I can hear it now:

"Oh look at Mr. high-and-mighty status seeker. Carrying around a "Prestige" binocular. I can see as many birds as he can, just you wait. Look at him craving status, flaunting his money like that. Heck, my cat knows Empidonax as well as he does. Hmmph!" ;)
Mark,
OT, but I'm going to have to take issue with your use of he/she. Please see:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nts-stop-using-switch-xe-zir-xyr-instead.html

And we're arguing about the "prestige" associated with optical tubes with pretty birds on them.

B :)B :)B :)

Last edited:
Mark,
OT, but I'm going to have to take issue with your use of he/she. Please see:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nts-stop-using-switch-xe-zir-xyr-instead.html

And we're arguing about the "prestige" associated with optical tubes with pretty birds on them.

B :)B :)B :)

Hey, maybe I can get duct tape in olive drab. I think I'd use it to cover the birdies. Who needs the scrutiny? :smoke:

:-O I wouldn't worry about that language. The gender neutral recommendations will go over like a lead balloon. Well, actually the students will find a way to make a semester-long joke out of it, guaranteed.

Hey, maybe I can get duct tape in olive drab. I think I'd use it to cover the birdies. Who needs the scrutiny? :smoke:

:-O I wouldn't worry about that language. The gender neutral recommendations will go over like a lead balloon. Well, actually the students will find a way to make a semester-long joke out of it, guaranteed.

They are already a laughing stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back