• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is your favorite 10x? (1 Viewer)

Thought seriously about a 15x56 Meopta HD as well Bryce, but with all the praise reaped upon the SV, especially, as you said, on a tripod, which I do quite often anyway........My 54 yr old eyes need all the help they can get.

Thought seriously about a 15x56 Meopta HD as well Bryce, but with all the praise reaped upon the SV, especially, as you said, on a tripod, which I do quite often anyway........My 54 yr old eyes need all the help they can get.
The 10x50 SV is weird. For some reason you can hold it pretty steady for a 10x. It is balanced nicely and it seems the extra weight helps you hold it steadier. You might not need a tripod. Try it first.

So you are a dedicated 10x fan. Why do prefer them over 8x?

Mainly because that is what I used mostly out in Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, Montana, and such big game hunting. Used the heck out of the SLC and Geovid, which is optically better than the SLC. If one is interested in details, I feel magnification is where it's at paired with quality optics.

I even use 10X while birding the most. I can't imagine using anything less than 10X while looking at waterfowl. Also during the fall, winter, and spring 10X is huge with the foliage gone.

In the summer months I've been known to carry two pairs of binoculars. I used to carry the 10X42 AND 7X42 SLC….now THAT'S a LOAD! Currently the 10X42 HT and one of my smaller 8X32s are more manageable.

IMG_1109.JPG

How does the EL 10x42 compare to the HT 10x42? Those two seem redundant. Does the HT offer something the SV doesn't? Brightness with the AK prism?

Yeah I guess it is. I bought the HT because I wanted the absolute best when light transmission is concerned. Ended up buying both with the intent of selling the one I like the least. How in the heck does one like either of those the LEAST?

Mainly because that is what I used mostly out in Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, Montana, and such big game hunting. Used the heck out of the SLC and Geovid, which is optically better than the SLC. If one is interested in details, I feel magnification is where it's at paired with quality optics.

I even use 10X while birding the most. I can't imagine using anything less than 10X while looking at waterfowl. Also during the fall, winter, and spring 10X is huge with the foliage gone.

In the summer months I've been known to carry two pairs of binoculars. I used to carry the 10X42 AND 7X42 SLC….now THAT'S a LOAD! Currently the 10X42 HT and one of my smaller 8X32s are more manageable.

IMG_1109.JPG
I can understand your feelings about detail with a 10x. It is definitely the most popular magnification out here in Colorado especially with hunters. Is the HT significantly brighter than the EL. Is that the only advantage of the HT?

I can understand your feelings about detail with a 10x. It is definitely the most popular magnification out here in Colorado especially with hunters. Is the HT significantly brighter than the EL. Is that the only advantage of the HT?

"Brightness" has always played a pretty big role in optics for me. Shouldn't we all want a pair of binoculars that features 100% transmission? So much wildlife is at their best before sunrise and after sunset. So many fine binoculars are 100% perfectly adequate outside of that time period. I wanted THE 10X42 binocular that had no compromises at any time of the day. I feel the HT is it for now. I'd have to say the HT is VERY slightly brighter than the SV, but usually I can't tell ANY difference and that's well after sunset.

I LOVE that big 'ol focus wheel of the HT. Plenty of room for two-finger focusing and one can really get it RIGHT with it. Ergonomically, it's a fine binocular. If laying in the truck seat and I reach for the HT….my hand lands right to the perfect place.

Are you thinking of buying a new pair of 10X42s?

"Brightness" has always played a pretty big role in optics for me. Shouldn't we all want a pair of binoculars that features 100% transmission? So much wildlife is at their best before sunrise and after sunset. So many fine binoculars are 100% perfectly adequate outside of that time period. I wanted THE 10X42 binocular that had no compromises at any time of the day. I feel the HT is it for now. I'd have to say the HT is VERY slightly brighter than the SV, but usually I can't tell ANY difference and that's well after sunset.

I LOVE that big 'ol focus wheel of the HT. Plenty of room for two-finger focusing and one can really get it RIGHT with it. Ergonomically, it's a fine binocular. If laying in the truck seat and I reach for the HT….my hand lands right to the perfect place.

Are you thinking of buying a new pair of 10X42s?
I am considering a lot of different 10x's. I have the Canon 10x42 IS-L and I really like it. The HT looks really nice and ergonomics look great on it but is hard to tell without trying it.

Although the question was not addressed to me, I will barge in with my usual response.

"Not once, have I wished for a smaller image."
I understand your feelings. I have always used 8x but I have been using a Canon 10x42 IS-L for birding lately and I come home thinking that it is the best view I have ever had. I think I am becoming a 10x convert. The big image is nice.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have and use a Sw. Habicht 10x40 W GA and a Zeiss Victory HT 10x42. I like both. But use mainly the HT. The optical quality is almost perfect but it has a big plus for me: the ergonomics. The position of the focus wheel is perfect and natural!!! Is a pleasure to put your hands on the binocular and the finger land instantly in the wheel...No other binocular has it, as far as I know...well, the SF, yes.

PHA

Hi,

I have and use a Sw. Habicht 10x40 W GA and a Zeiss Victory HT 10x42. I like both. But use mainly the HT. The optical quality is almost perfect but it has a big plus for me: the ergonomics. The position of the focus wheel is perfect and natural!!! Is a pleasure to put your hands on the binocular and the finger land instantly in the wheel...No other binocular has it, as far as I know...well, the SF, yes.

PHA
How is the focus on the Habicht? I had the 8x30 and the focus was too tight for me. The 10x40 sounds interesting though and I notice you can buy them from Germany. Habicht's have awesome optics for sure. The focus wheel does look well positioned on the HT and that big size is nice.

Last edited:
Funny you should say that. I just bought another Canon 10x42 IS-L. I have had it before and got tired of the weight but I bought another one because the view is so darn good and it is so nice to push that IS button and get rid of the shake. I know they are big, boxy, heavy and they have uncomfortable eyecups but I use it a lot because it gives you an amazing rock solid view. It is sharp to the edge, bright, controls CA great and has excellent optics. I have tried the rest of the Canon line and although the optics are good on the whole line they are not quite up to alpha standards but the 10x42 is really close to the alpha's. They are great for astronomy also giving really pinpoint images of the stars.

Dennis,

You are totally exalted by the SV 10x50 and still get a Canon 10x42. When SV 10x50 is so supreme and works good at free hand, how do you justify to get the Canon as well? Just curious...

Patric

Dennis,

You are totally exalted by the SV 10x50 and still get a Canon 10x42. When SV 10x50 is so supreme and works good at free hand, how do you justify to get the Canon as well? Just curious...

Patric
I actually had the Canon 10x42 IS-L before looking at the Swaro. I got a deal on the Canon. Not near the moola of the SV 10x50 and it is fun to mess around with. Even though I can hold the SV 10x50 steadier than any 10x50 I have tried the Canon is rock solid with the IS engaged and it has pretty good optics. It gives me a 10x among all my 8x32's(SV 8x32, Nikon 8x30 EII, Leica Trinovid 8x32 BA) to use when I want something for long distance higher power viewing. I have never used a 10x that much but I am beginning to appreciate their reach for hawks and eagles and distant wildlife viewing. You do get a little more detail which is nice. Kimmo has shown in his testing of the Canon 10x42 IS that a 10x binocular loses about 30-40 % resolution versus tripod mounted and the Canon 10x42 only lost 8% resolution versus a tripod with the IS engaged. So that's a 30% resolution advantage over a hand held binocular even without the optics coming into play. Also, Kimmo showed that the Canon 10x42 IS even out resolved the Nikon 10x42 SE WITHOUT the IS activated so it has pretty good optics even without the IS being used.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=297776

Last edited:
Hi Dennis,

The ergonomics of the Habicht is very good for me. Like many Porros, the grip is very confortable and the wheel is well located. The stiffness is, in my oppinion, over exagerated. Even at below 0 degrees (Celsius).

PHA

I have no 10x that's worth mentioning. I have the Canons 12x36 and 18x50 though and appreciate higher magnification, so a 10x roof is in the buying queue. But since Alphas are painfully expensive, Canon 10x42 and Conquest 10x56 are my candidates.

it's nice with easy questions, without hesitation the 10x42 SF, it is the new standard in birding binos, as the 8.5x swaros was before, the Zeiss SF has huge FOV and whooping 66° AFOV, best ergonomics yet seen in any binocular, the balance, grip and smoothness of the quick and precise focuser are all you can ask for, and I can hold 10x as stable as any 8x for the first time, and thus see more, pin sharp edge-to-edge view with no CA also helps, plenty eye relief and comfortable eye cups is also welcome,
excellent transmission and 4 mm exit pupil combined with 10x is enough also in low light, better twilight factor than my old abbe-koenig 7x, I have no complaints on the SF, probably the first time that has happened to me buying new a new binocular or scope, well, hmm, I guess the price, but perfections does not come for free.

Last edited:
I have no 10x that's worth mentioning. I have the Canons 12x36 and 18x50 though and appreciate higher magnification, so a 10x roof is in the buying queue. But since Alphas are painfully expensive, Canon 10x42 and Conquest 10x56 are my candidates.
You would probably like the Canon 10x42 IS-L as a 10x. You already appreciate the IS system and the optics in the 10x42 are a step up in quality because of the L designation on the optics which is Canon's best. The 10x42 is brighter also than the other Canon's because of the 4.2mm exit pupil. I would consider it an alpha binocular for sure.

it's nice with easy questions, without hesitation the 10x42 SF, it is the new standard in birding binos, as the 8.5x swaros was before, the Zeiss SF has huge FOV and whooping 66° AFOV, best ergonomics yet seen in any binocular, the balance, grip and smoothness of the quick and precise focuser are all you can ask for, and I can hold 10x as stable as any 8x for the first time, and thus see more, pin sharp edge-to-edge view with no CA also helps, plenty eye relief and comfortable eye cups is also welcome,
excellent transmission and 4 mm exit pupil combined with 10x is enough also in low light, better twilight factor than my old abbe-koenig 7x, I have no complaints on the SF, probably the first time that has happened to me buying new a new binocular or scope, well, hmm, I guess the price, but perfections does not come for free.
I wonder how the 10x42 SF and 10x42 HT Zeiss would compare side by side. I would like to try those two. It would probably be big FOV(SF) versus brightness(HT). What is more important to you?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back