• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron ESGA and Lumix TZ3 Vignetting - advice please (1 Viewer)

Perry Grin

Opticron HDF zoom and Lumix TZ3 Vignetting - advice please

Hi All,

Firstly, I'm not into digiscoping big time, but always like to try and take a couple of record shots every now and then and obviously want them to be as nice as poss. Secondly I'm assuming vignetting is the term to describe the effect when your picture is blacked out except for a circular view in the middle which had your subject in it!

Currently I have the Lumix TZ3 which I am using hand held against the lens. With my opticron IS60 scope the shots I get are fine - no vignetting, but as this is a non-ED scope overall quality is not great

When I use the camera with my Opticron ESGA (ED glass) and HDF lens I get quite a lot of vignetting. I've tried zooming in and out with scope and camera but without much luck.

Are there any tricks of the trade or is this simply something that should be dealt with by cropping?

Thanks in advance

Perry

Last edited:
Perry, have you checked out the digi-scope forums ,there,s more info in their than I will ever know.

Yeah, I have had a brief look around. Seems that the eyerelief/lens diameter/focal length doesn't quite match up. There are a few photoshop fixes suggested but I've got too much vignetting for that. Think I'll just try to crop out the vignette and see if the resolution holds out.

I only posted this in case someone had a magic fix!

Cheers

Perry

Ideally, the lens diameter of the camera lens should be smaller than the lens of the eyepiece. Also I prefer non-zoom eyepieces and really like the Pentax XL series.

I use the ES80 GAED with HDF Zoom lens.
With my Canon Powershot A95, Zooming out on the camera to x2 gets rid of vignetting.
I have just started using the A640 ( much larger lens and is x4 zoom ), and vignetting is always there, but it doesn't matter as its 10MP so I just crop!.

Don't know the spec of your camera, its possible you are always going to have this problem!.

I use the ES80 GAED with HDF Zoom lens.
With my Canon Powershot A95, Zooming out on the camera to x2 gets rid of vignetting.
I have just started using the A640 ( much larger lens and is x4 zoom ), and vignetting is always there, but it doesn't matter as its 10MP so I just crop!.

Don't know the spec of your camera, its possible you are always going to have this problem!.

Yeah! It looks like I am just going to have to get used to this. I'm getting best results by zooming in a touch (about 1.5x) and then cropping. Images aren't great, but I'm only really trying to get reasonable record shots and they are more than adequate for that.

Cheers

Perry

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back