• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 120-400 or 150-500mm (1 Viewer)

Shaggy2070

I'm wanting a big lens to go with my Canon 450D. Money is a bit of an issue so it would take me another year (it's taken a year to scrape £600together) to save for the Canon lens I would really like (400 f5.6 prime):-C.

So I'm thinking of one of the following; the Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM or the Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM.
Has anyone had experience with both these lenses and can say which they would recommend of the two and do both these lenses have a noisy OS system?

Also shots from both lenses would be appreciated :t:.

Shaggy.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you also saving for a 400 5.6 L, and just trying to decide against these lenses? I have the 150-500 and like it very much, but I often wish I had spent a few extra months saving for the 400 5.6 L since they are not in the same league regarding IQ, IMO. If you are going to decide between the two Siggy zooms I recommend the 150-500 simply because it will give you the reach you need. As far as IQ and AF speed there is little between them. The only time I would suggest the 120-400 is if the 150-500 is too heavy for you.

Just my two cents...or pence?!?

Never mind, I just figured out what you are saying. You don't want to take the extra time to save up for the 400 L, so in that case my vote goes to the 150-500.

I do really want to continue saving for the Canon 400 prime, but the thought of struggling on with a 210mm lens for another year is a bit depressing:-C.
That's why I was thinking about making do with one of the Sigma lenses...

...Then I can start saving for a Macro lens;):-O

You said you had £600 your nearly there for a used one, keep saving, sell the Mrs or something, get your stuff on ebay that you don't use, you can do it :t:

I'd strongly suggest keep saving a bit longer for a s/h Canon lens. Buy one of the Sigmas and you'll never be happy in my opinion. Its a compromise and you'll end up selling the Sigma possibly at a big loss some time in the future to buy the lens you wanted in the first place.
A s/h quality lens makes far more sense to me than a new inferior lens. And that is the voice of bitter experience, and badly dented bank balance ;)

I've the 150-500mm and use it in preference to my Canon 100-400mm - better OS, faster AF and easier to carry. One day I may get something like the 400mm but it's not a priority to me (I'll get a 300mm f/2.8 first! ;))

Thanks for the advice about waiting for the Canon 400mm. I had to borrow some money off my wife but I got a second hand one today:t:.

I must say first impressions of it are great, can't wait to learn how to use it properly now:king:.

Here's a couple of my first attempts:t:.

Attachments

• Ringed Plover.jpg
    Ringed Plover.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 991
  • Rock Pipit.jpg
    Rock Pipit.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 621
  • Sleepy.jpg
    Sleepy.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 573
Thanks for the advice about waiting for the Canon 400mm. I had to borrow some money off my wife but I got a second hand one today:t:.

I must say first impressions of it are great, can't wait to learn how to use it properly now:king:.

Here's a couple of my first attempts:t:.

Looking great, glad you sold the wife now, better find a two legged Plover next time. :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back