• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hide Clamps (1 Viewer)

Steviepix

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these to use with a Canon 7D and 100-400 zoom lens. I use a Manfrotto 055 magfibre tripod.

My research so far is leaning me towards either a Velbon Hide Clamp HC-25/28 or a Manfrotto 349 Aluminium Hide Column Clamp.

Does anyone have any experience of using a hide clamp and/or either of these clamps? Any problems with them carrying the weight of the kit?

Many thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,
I've used the Manfrotto 349 with the aluminium centre column from a 055 tripod and the same camera / lens combination as yourself. The clamp itself doesn't weigh very much, so the majority of the weight is that of your existing column / head combination. As for the clamp itself, it holds the centre column very firmly, and the "jaws" have a good range of adjustment to cater for differing thickness hide window shelves. The jaws also have angled notches which allow the clamp to be mounted to rounded or circular items such as railings or branches. Obviously it isn't as rigid in use as a tripod, and raising the centre column in the clamp to get your lens above the window sill of a hide introduces a certain amount of whipiness into the system. That said, it is much easier to use in a hide than a full tripod, and less awkward to carry. I've been pleased with mine.

Scrapper

Hi Steve and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've had a hide clamp for several years now and am delighted with it. Unfortunately I can't remember the make now (it's in the car). It uses the centre column of a Manfrotto scope.

I purchased it from an In Focus shop at one of the WWT reserves. It might be worth your while seeing if there is a shop near you where you can try it out with your kit and see if it suits your needs.

Good luck.

I also bought a hide clamp from the InFocus shop at Martin Mere which I have used with the centre column of my Manfrotto 055 carbon fibre. It works very well and comes with two sleeves to cater for different tripod columns. I have the larger 090 Manfrotto as well and it fits that centre column too. I tried the 7D with 100-400 and a large Opticron 82mm scope with no problems.

My only wish is they would make a hide clamp that would work with a monopod.

If you already have a Manfrotto tripod it makes sense to go for the Manfrotto hide clamp as it will work with the central column of your tripod meaning a minimum amount of additional weight to carry. That said I would not recommend one for use with a camera. Everytime someone moves in the hide it will cause vibrations, and odds on someone will lean on the hide shelf just as you line up the shot you want.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. Good point by Keith and PostcardCv about the "wobble factor".
Some food for thought and I will let you know in due course what I decide upon - or not!
Thanks again,
Steve

just an extra thought on the ones you have researched. They are great value but my only gripe is the jaw width. Its 45mm which for most hides is ok but I have found an annoying few that are just beyond that by a mm or two. Pound to a penny it will at the place where you find great pictures to take. I personally would try to adjust to the vibration as clamps really help cut dowm on the weight you have to lug about and for their price are well worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back