• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just what to choose ! (1 Viewer)

chigman

England
Hi Guys - first time poster, so hello to all.

Been interested in wildlife and especially birds all my life, and now swiftly approaching 50|:mad:|, I feel the need for a spotting scope. The trouble is, I think I have nailed it down to two, but cant decide which way to turn. This is where I think the forum can help:t:

Its these two... Can anyone shed any info on either of the two scopes please?

Helios Fieldmaster ED82DS 20-60x82 ED Spotting Scope
or
Celestron Regal M2 80/ED XLT Spotting Scope

Appreciate any help. Thanks guys.

Steve

I would go for the Celestron. Its lighter and has good reviews.

I don't know how long the Celestron warranty is in the uk but I believe that the Helios is only one year. That's not good enough as far I am concerned. Not at the price it's selling.

Also the close focus distance of the Helios is twice that of the Celestron.

Piggybacking on this thread.

I'm looking at the same ones, well almost... Celestron Regal M2 80 is out of my budget (€690 cheapest) but the Helios Fieldmaster 80ed I can find for €420... That's against the Regal M2 65 I have my eye on, which I can buy from a physical store for €559... With the great reviews for the Helios Fieldmaster 60ED (also still on my list for a meager €230...) Will the Regal 65 offer more than twice the quality of the Helios 60ED? Will it even surpass the €130 cheaper Helios 80ED in optical quality?!

I'd like as much quality for my budget (€600 is tops) but if such a lower price can offer (almost) similar performance... Anyone?

The quality in the Celestron appears to be a bit hit or miss from what I read online. I bought a used M2 100ED and so far it looks exceptional through the zoom and fixed power 15mm/36X & 7mm/77X. I have a 5.5mm/98X on order and to push the envelope a 4mm/135X.

But, I also bought a demo 100mm Trailseeker another Celestron offering in the same 45* angle & 540mm fl. It does fine up to 45X. After that it slowly loses detail whilst starting to blur. This was a two day, NEAF Vendors & Exhibitors astrological expo that included 120 vendors, demo warrantied for one year.

When I contacted the vendor that I purchased from for replacement all I received was, "so sorry, but we do not have another demo & can only offer refund". In spite of this allegedly being inspected by Celestron and allegedly coming w/one year warranty.

As it begs the inquiry, What exactly are you warrantying agin? I bought the 100mm model to resolve at highest magnification and 45X isn't nearly enough. I've since lodged a complaint w/Celestron.

We'll see what steps they take and I'll report back to the forum. Now, had I bought w/o demo discount, paid $350 for the Trailseeker, they would've exchanged allegedly. The vendor claimed to have be in business for around 14-15 yrs if memory serves.

B&H currently has that scope for 474.99 w/Free $30-45 Essential Accessory, 1-3 Day Delivery. I've no idea what the "essential" acc. consists of in this marketing spiel.

My reasoning in warranty is the oem zoom is 22-67X for a 45X differential of which at 22-45X, 23X is roughly half. The second hand M2 100ED had no problem w/skinny zoom rendering resolution through 67X w/o losing detail or blurring. At the very least the Trailseeker should have the ability to resolve through the 67X on the oem zoom w/o incident. Sixty-seven X out of an 100mm objective is not much of a hurdle to clear.

If I were to make another purchase I would do me best inspect the scope at a brick n mortar dealer/vendor. And bring an assortment of 1 1/4" eyepieces w/at least one close to 100X and a tripod. Though not a traditional refractor telescope, due to upright prism, you still should be able to resolve at least to one power/X for every MM of objective lens diameter.

I have no idea how many out of 100 would or would not and as a rule people are more likely to post about a product if they are unhappy. The moon at 77X is exceptionally sharp in a "budget/one up upgrade" Celestron Luminos 82* eyepiece when looking through the M2 100ED.

I bought the M2 online, sight unseen w/o so much as an inquiry unto the seller.

Pot luck and I was lucky on that buy.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back