• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon HG L 10x32 (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I have found at a good price (almost half of its value) a Nikon High Grade Light 10x32, since I am looking for a small binocular, you think it may be a good choice? I have heard they have an exceptional contrast ....
greetings and thanks
Wachi

Nikon HG L 0x32

I think the Nikon 10x32 HG L is an excellent binocular. I no longer have the one I used to own, but I enjoyed using it very much. It had a very quick focus action.

John

I have this binocular which I have used often but not so often lately since I got the new Nikon 10x32 EDG. Like John Frink says, it is an excellent binocular and very well built. It has a very large sweet spot almost to the edge of the view with a tiny bit of pin cushioning. It also has 16mm of comfortable eye relief. I does have a very fast focus but it is exceptionally smooth and very well damped. It also weighs 23 ounces and is large as 32mm binoculars go. In its day it was an Alpha and it is still near being one IMO.

You can find a review of it in this test of 10x binoculars in ALULA magazine. It scored very well. It notes that its "Contrast is superb."

http://www.lintuvaruste.fi/hinnasto/optiikkaarvostelu/optics_8_Leicaultravid_GB.shtml

Bob

Last edited:
Thank you all response!!
It have black out ?? a very serious question for me..as i had a Nikon 10x42 SE but impossible to look trought,
thanks
Wachi

No. No blackouts with the HG Ls.

Those on the SEs can be worked around using a special technique given the name MOLCET by Brock. MOLCET means "Mooreorless Ceasar's Eyebrow Technique."

What you do is brace the eyecups of the SE binocular up against and just under your eye brows and then very slightly tilt the binocular upward while using it. The blackouts, also called "kidney beaning," will go away. It works for me, aka "Ceasar" and Steve aka "Mooreorless."

Bob

Last edited:
No. No blackouts with the HG Ls.

Those on the SEs can be worked around using a special technique given the name MOLCET by Brock. MOLCET means "Mooreorless Ceasar's Eyebrow Technique."

What you do is brace the eyecups of the SE binocular up against and just under your eye brows and then very slightly tilt the binocular upward while using it. The blackouts, also called "kidney beaning," will go away. It works for me, aka "Ceasar" and Steve aka "Mooreorless."

Bob

Bob:

I agree with you and your technique.

You and Steve are famous on Birdforum in a special way. ;)

Merry Christmas to everyone here on Birdforum.

Jerry

Hello Wachi. My experience is with the 8x32 HG L, and despite its age I think it is a very usable binocular. The excellent contrast comes from its ability to handle stray light really well. About black-outs, I've found the 8x32 HG L's black-out characteristics to be similar to the 8x32 SE. I would not be surprised if they used essentially the same ocular optical design. But having said that, the HG L benefits from having very nice twist-up eyecups which makes it easy to find the correct eyepoint to avoid the dreaded black-outs.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you too, Peatmoss!

I also have the Nikon 8x32 LX L and I agree that it is still a very usable binocular. In fact, I preferred using it over my Swarovski 8x30 SLC B. I never experienced any blackouts with the Nikon 8x32 LX L although I did have them with all 3 of my Nikon SEs.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure from my extensive use of both the LXLs and the SEs that they do not have the same ocular design. I never had to take any unusual care with how I positioned the binoculars at my eyes with the LXL's like I did with the SE's.

There was a technical name for the type of blackout that the SEs were prone to which I can't think of right now.

Maybe Steve Moore remembers it? Or maybe Brock will come out of hibernation to tell us what it was. ;) (Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to both of you!o:D )

What it did was cause an odd type of blackout best described as "Kidney Beaning" because it was shaped like a kidney bean.

Bob

Last edited:
Merry Christmas Bob! A few years ago, folks coined the term "spherical aberration of the exit pupil", but I just call them black-outs. It's easier to type! I managed to solve the black-outs with my SE's by rolling down the eyecups just halfway. The eyecups have been in that position for so long that they've essentially been frozen in place and I don't have to worry about them anymore. Maybe someday Santa will bring me an SE with nice twist-up eyecups! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back