• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another South Africa in September (1 Viewer)

GTeig

These were taken at noon on 5 September in Rietvlei Nature Reserve near Pretoria about 10 seconds after a Cape White-eye in the same tree. It looks similar to a Yellow-throated Woodland Warbler but I don't think that is it

Attachments

• What_3034.jpg
    What_3034.jpg
    837.3 KB · Views: 33
  • What_3035.jpg
    What_3035.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 52
  • What_3037.jpg
    What_3037.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 48
I wish I could answer this, but I can't. However, it looks like someone with more knowledge of the area ought to be able to get this, so I'm bumping it.

You say that it looks like Yellow-throated Woodland Warbler, but this has a dark cap and a pale bill, as well as a yellow eyebrow.

In photo two, what looks like a brown cap is actually a branch which in front of the top half of the head of the bird, I think. And the seeming beige patch behind the eye is part of this branch also. We can see from photo three that the cap is the same olive colour as the back of the bird, and not brown as photo two seems to suggest. At least I think so.

We can see that the legs are black and so is the bill and the upper side of the tail. But we can't clearly see any of the area around the eye, but we can see the eye itself, which seems not to have an eye ring.

It looks like there's enough for an ID, but I can't get anything to fit. I thought it might be an eremomela, but none in the area seem to be OK. I thought the green might be a colour cast, and I de-greened the photo showing the head in Photoshop, but it seems that the green of the bird is genuine.

Well, I hope someone from the area will see this bumped post.

We can see that the legs are black and so is the bill and the upper side of the tail. But we can't clearly see any of the area around the eye, but we can see the eye itself, which seems not to have an eye ring.

MacNara, you mentioning that we can see the eye itself let me questioning what I ment to see. Actually I think we can't see the eye as it would be a slightly awkward position on the head. In fact it must be a the end of the broken twig. So we can't be sure there is no eye-ring. The bill is actually is a perfect fit for Cape White-Eye as are the rather strong greyish legs and all other features. So IMO just another individual as the one 10 sec before?

Compare with this: https://johncaddick.co.uk/photo/cape-white-eye-4/?pageno=1&photoid=12948&search=

So we can't be sure there is no eye-ring. The bill is actually is a perfect fit for Cape White-Eye as are the rather strong greyish legs and all other features. So IMO just another individual as the one 10 sec before?

Compare with this: https://johncaddick.co.uk/photo/cape-white-eye-4/?pageno=1&photoid=12948&search=

Well, I have to be honest, that's what I thought at first! And it's true that nothing else fits. But I did think we'd be able to see the eye-ring in the photo with the bill, so I thought this didn't fit either. And although GTeig specifically mentioned the White-eye, I guess he thought it was probably this also. I looked up some photos of this particular White-eye species and the eye-ring does seem to be strong enought that you could see it in that photo. But, if not, that's great.

Thanks to both of you. I probably realized that when I took the picture but by 9 weeks later had forgotten. As I look at the pictures after you comments I see a Cape White-eye.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back