• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepiece (1 Viewer)

myoudale

Hi

Do Kowa do a 20x60 zoom eyepiece which is a wide angle like the 30x
I have searched everywhere and just cant seem to find the details. I know they do a 20x60 but there is no description of if its a wide angle.
This will be to fit a TSN-2

Cheers

since no one else is posting to help you here I would suggest your best option is the opitcron HDF 20-60 but you will need a washer of some sort to make it a nice fit. they are the same thread and will definately fit.

Hi

Do Kowa do a 20x60 zoom eyepiece which is a wide angle like the 30x
I have searched everywhere and just cant seem to find the details. I know they do a 20x60 but there is no description of if its a wide angle.
This will be to fit a TSN-2

Cheers

As a previous user of a Kowa TSN-3, I think the short answer is no.

For a decent zoom I think you have 2 choices. The new(ish) Kowa zoom with a twist-up eyecup, or the one that Paul mentions. Be aware though, that the Opticron screws onto the external screw thread on the scope body (designed for attachment of a lens cap over the eyepiece) rather than using the bayonet fit of Kowa's own eyepieces. Personally I'm not sure how this works, or if it has a tendency to unscrew when zooming.

I suppose most zooms can be described as wide angle in a sense at 60x, as they typically then have a field of view of around 60 degrees. However, at lower mags the FOV then constricts (in terms of degrees, though you can see more ft or metres at 100yds/metres at the lower power because of the reduced magnification). Confusing, I know!

The only real wide zooms that I am aware of are the new ones from Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss are also due to release a new one soon.

If wide angle is a priority you should consider getting the 45x wide EP designed for the small polycarbonate bodied scopes. I haven't seen it personally, but reviews are good. It's in the region of £300 I think, and was the most expensive spotting scope eyepiece of any maker when first introduced, but most of the market leaders have now overtaken its price in recent years.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back