• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My "New" Studio (1 Viewer)

colleenc

I live in a small ( 300sq foot) cottage so my "studio" is a nook 6.5 feet by 8 feet. Recently I've gotten more commissions at once than I've ever hado:)

and had to figure out how to get an easel in the space as my shoulder, elbow and back were complaining about trying to work in an non ergonomic position...before I had one long 6 ' table and a table easel and stuff every where. Years ago in Hawaii I had designed and helped build a series of koa boxes that all fit together in various configurations ( my friend who helped me build them called it high class crate decor, and now koa is so rare and hard to find, then it was available all over the island) So desparate, I thought and spent endless time thinking about how to get it organized and working and get more space.

Just in case you are in a small space place thought I'd share the result, took one week and I just finished and it may never be this clean again:-O

I took out the table and put in a drafting table I cut down to 42 x 25. I will replace the wooden table easle with a Feather tripod that fits on a table or full size, I can use for plein air and take it off to have more space for watercolor. I used one of the koa boxes to lift the screen up, and store my mini mac so doubled that space, printer is behind that on more koa boxes that store books and pencils and on the bottom all the computer wires, surge protecter and stuff. Built a thin shelf to fit on the cross bar of the draft table which holds pallets and some pastel storage boxes., next to that is the new member of my family a real easel, where I can adjust to sit or stand work....made of sustainable Lyptus wood, made by Jack Richeson, and just over $100 at AWS, with free shipping !...very sturdy, but a little smaller foot print than most, and light enough I can move it.

On the other wall I put in a new book shelf(real cheapo) and anchored it to the wall, has 2 shelves that can hold 50# but probably exceeded that with the pastels and had 1 inch to spare, and restacked the koa boxes, and completely reorganized everything. The good part of that is doing it all at once I could really figure out where to put it in a way that works with how I use it. Like all the oil painting stuff in now in one area, same for pastel, watercolor, gouache, and sculpture.....yes All that in one little studio....too bad I dont have a yen for just one media. Pastels take up the most room.

Painting boards store in a crate that just fits between the cross bars of the easel, stacking slide out drawers on shelves hold paint tubes, and other small stuff. As you can see it's a dark cave, so I have 3 daylight balanced lights that make it work on dark days or at night.

The weird thing is with 5 new shelves, and and 10 new drawers I still could not fit in all the stuff I had before....at the very end I had one box of files, I figured since I hadn't seen them in a year, I'd just toss them without looking and see if the world ended.

Big plus now is I can take a step and and a half away from my work and not turn sidewise to get into the space... and I can work on 2 pieces at once to speed up production. Every inch is used, and flexible for whatever media I need.

I know this may seem weird to make a big deal of this , but in the tiny space I have here I've put out way more work and gotten more national and international recognition for my work than any other time in my art life, even when I had perfectly lit studios with 4 times the space and all the bells and whistles...in case your are wondering why I don't move....I love where I live, out in the country on a big property with horses, wild turkeys, bobcat, otter, and from my window I can't see any other building, or houses...but only 10 min from the grocery store etc....

Anyway after a week of cleaning, painting, patching lifting, sawing, sanding and changing things around several times, then taking half of it out again to put in a piece of plywood under the rug so my chair would roll, I was so tired and happy I decided to put it down for posterity... I'll be getting a bamboo bead fringe thing to hang in front of the shelves so I don't have all the clutter to see, yet reach through to what ever I need without doors or other hinderances.

Now after a week of hard work, back to painting again!

Attachments

• new-studio_2642.gif
    new-studio_2642.gif
    237.6 KB · Views: 82
  • new-studio_2643.gif
    new-studio_2643.gif
    242.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Oddly enough the weather was so hot here this week that I decided I might as well do some work, like redesign my studio and the room next to it. Much moving of furniture, books, etc. But the other room is still only half-done, with piled up books taking up 25% of the floor space.

I'm amazed though that you can work in such a small space. But as my old Latin teacher used to say "Necessity is the mother of invention."

your latin teacher was right, it has been an adjustment, but also fun...to live very effectively, ie using space for multiple uses. I'm an ADD kid, now adult, and one thing is a small space is easier to keep track of, tho I still lose things, like currently my coffee cup, there are fewer places to look:-O

The new studio set up is so easy, and feels so much bigger that I feel like I'm in a big room. This morning have done watercolor, and pastel slick as a whistle.

Very happy for you Colleen.

Am also a person who gets continually distracted and confused. I start knowing what I want to do, but at close of day, have ended up in a place miles away from my goal. And then have completely forgotten I even had that goal in the first place.

I am 48. So Demencia might be the cause. But this has been life-long. Drink is not the answer either. I do not get enough!

But the Art Forum has certainly helped me regain my focus!

Concentration is learnt here! With much gret help and direction focus from others!

here are some of the little things I use to overcome the attention wandering thing....Lists help a lot, a mantra "what is my outcome", white noise machine, more sleep, vitamins( gultamic acid) something playing in the background, a kitchen timer.

That said, I have no trouble concentrating on my painting, just when I have a sequence of things to do, or have to be in a group of people where a whole lot is going on at once that I'm not familiar with, or conversation I'm not interested in...then I get up and clean the table or serve some others cause movement helps me focus...thank god I got through school before drugging kids started, and my parents barely lived through my growing up, "pay attention I told you so and so 6 times" but I never heard it...:-O once I was reading a book absolutely everything out there disappeared, and only the story existed, sort of what happens when I paint.... nothing at all to do with dementia Phil, just a mind that is not rigidly fixed in place and feels free to roam the seen and unseen, I wouldn't trade it for anything like sequential thinking of one thing after another.

Beautiful studio.....

I am glad for you

and before i forget it ..........Gepard means cheetah

Demencia,too

friendly greetings Gaby

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back