• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BV or BVII or zen-ray 2010 ZRS HD (SUMMIT) 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Jerome10

First post, and I have to be upfront in that I'm here because I can't find the info I'm looking for but this forum seems to be full of bino info.

I want to buy my first, and likely, only pair of binoculars. I plan to use it sparingly, though I do have an Alaska cruise soon which is the primary reason for ordering now. Figure every house needs a pair anyway, so now a good time. other than alaska I only grab binos if I know I will use them (eagle watching) or if something interesting going on and I want to spy. ha. really I think I just want a nice, clear, crisp image with wide view (field of view?). easy to follow moving objects, etc.

With my rookie knowledge, I've narrowed it to Minox BVII at $289, Zen-Ray 2010 ZRS HD Summit at $205 or Minox BF (essentially old BV but in black and not green) at $139. I'm tempted to do the BF based on price, but I want a good solid pair for a fair value first of all. under $300 with low $200s my sweet spot.

So my main Qs are, what makes BVII better than the BV/BF? they look nicer style wise for sure, but is the image noticeably better for the cost? Compare that with the zen-rays, which everyone seems to rave about. But I get the impression lack of raving for the Minox isn't because they're bad binos its just that nobody owns them! the few reviews on the minox indicate lots of satisfaction but nobody seems to ever have compared with summit.

so which one? any other considerations such as better strap, better/easier to hold, better warranty, better fog/temp resistance, better caps/covers? special deals from dealers? I don't wear eye glasses, this is an area I hear minox is indeed better? but doesn't matter to me.

I'm very stuck. any info, especially for the original BV/BF or the BVII, is greatly appreciated. summits I really have enough info on. other thing is I can't find places that carry any of these. so can't try them!

thank you in advance.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back