• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 300mm Prime Lens (1 Viewer)

LensNV

Hi, I could do with some advice. I'm looking to upgrade from my Canon 100-400mm lens and wondered what the opinion was on the Sigma 300mm Prime lens and whether anyone on here had any experience of it. Ideally I would have liked the Canon 300mm but that's a little to expensive to justify. I am fussy about image quality so I'm not sure the sigma lens will do it for me and I find my current 400mm maximum reach just short for most situations.

If anyone could advise then that would be appreciate as I'm in the market for a new lens at a reasonable price with cash ready to go !

Thanks

Simon

Last edited:
I've just moved back to Nikon from Canon and sold my Canon 300mm f2.8.
I am now using a Nikon fit Sigma 300mm f2.8 and I can't see any difference in sharpness although AF is slightly slower. There is some CA apparent in out of focus areas but nothing that can't be corrected in Photoshop. Overall I'm happy with the new set up and it cost a lot less than the Canon equivalent.

Thanks, I would want to use it with a 2x converter. Do you know how it performs under these conditions. I've also heard the 120-300mm with os is good as well. Is this better than the prime in terms of IQ.

Last edited:
Thanks, I would want to use it with a 2x converter. Do you know how it performs under these conditions. I've also heard the 120-300mm with os is good as well. Is this better than the prime in terms of IQ.

I've used mine with the Sigma 2x which gives f5.6 wide open, results are better stopped down to f8. Some pics in my Flickr link where there's a set taken with the lens. I've also read that the 120-300 OS is slightly better but have no experience with it. i've added comments to shots taken with the 2x on Flickr, the rest are taken with the 1.4x

Last edited:
Simon
if the reach of the 100-400 is just a little short for you then maybe you need a baghide...just a thought.

I have a lot of experience with the Sigma 300 prime. At 600mm you will not have the quality of a bare Sigma prime and sometimes not the quality of a Canon equivelant at the 600 range when viewed 100% but I can assure you that you can still do large quality prints. I did one recently and cropped about 50% and still got an A4 print that would be of publishable quality no sweat, and I am sure could have been printed larger. If you pixel peep you will find fault with any lens and that includes the new Canon 400f2.8 Mk2!

You don't state your budget but it would seem to me that if you cannot get a Canon second hand then you may have little option but to go for the Sigma 300 f2.8/ Sigma 120-300 OS if possible or consider a 50-500. Aside from IQ there is focus to consider and the Sigma prime does not have focus limiters. Now this can be a bummer but with anticipation and good practice you can minimise the effect by pre-focus which is a sinch.

On other forums I have found comments on cameras and lenses to be a complete and utter joke...I have never read so much tosh and rubbish in all my life regarding focus acquisition of lenses and cameras...shots of lumbering cranes and eagles blah blah blah to justify the latest camera or lens, it makes my blood boil! If you need state of the art equipment for these birds then I would give up. If a sad old amateur like me can nail peregrines diving at me with an old Sigma stuck on a 20D body then anything is possible...so do not feel disheartened by the fact that you may have equipment that is 'inferior' to the 'gold standard equipment' users. The Sigma 300 f2.8 will in my view be an upgrade for you but it is an entirely different beast to what you have been used to. You may need a good tripod with a good head and give yourself time with the learning curve. If you can afford the Sigma 120-300 OS then that is the one to aim for but if you cannot get it then don't ever think that you cannot get cracking shots with the alternatives because you can.

The attached is a woodpigeon taken recently , jpeg capture (no in camera sharpening) Canon 7D , Sigma 300 f2.8 ,420mm, ISO 500 , f5.6 no post processing or sharpening other than resizing and compressing for the web which has induced compression artifacts. It follows that the original will be sharper and sharper still when sharpened.
The Iris was taken with a 2X converter and lifted off my gallery so is processed.

Finally, if you do go for the set up, based on my experience, there is a quality upstage by using a Canon 2X MkIII converter, there is certainly less chromatic aberation than there is with the Sigma and Kenko converters that I have used.

Attachments

• Peregrine mating day 19th February 12th 2012 081a.jpg
    Peregrine mating day 19th February 12th 2012 081a.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 735
  • Algarve_Portugal_birds_2010_A_Dancy_cr_No_3_1572_copy.jpg
    Algarve_Portugal_birds_2010_A_Dancy_cr_No_3_1572_copy.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 493
Thanks very much for the very detailed reply. Ok, well I invested in a one man bird hide about a month ago. It's very good and have to date only used it in the garden. Indeed, it does bring me closer to the birds, but not used it out in the field yet. To be honest, I've always found my copy of the 100-400 to be quite soft, so I've never really been happy with it from day one really. So I'm in the market for a new lens for a number of reasons, not only the need for the extra reach but basically I want to upgrade and take my bird photography further. I have about £2000 a £2500 to spend and as much as I'd like the canon 300mm f2.8 I don't think they're available for that money. I've since read very good reports on the new Sigma 120-300mm OS lens and seen some superb images taken using this. I think despite this being another zoom lens it does give me the option of 600mm on my 7D. Is the general feeling that this would be an upgrade?

I've also looked at the Canon 600mm non IS prime lens second hand as well, but I worry that these aren't supported anymore if anything goes wrong with a oldish lens. So, my current thoughts is the Sigma option is the best. I hope I'm right in that.

Any more thoughts and if there's someone selling an old canon 300mm or 400mm f2.8 and a good price then get in touch.;)

On other forums I have found comments on cameras and lenses to be a complete and utter joke...I have never read so much tosh and rubbish in all my life regarding focus acquisition of lenses and cameras...shots of lumbering cranes and eagles blah blah blah to justify the latest camera or lens, it makes my blood boil! If you need state of the art equipment for these birds then I would give up. If a sad old amateur like me can nail peregrines diving at me with an old Sigma stuck on a 20D body then anything is possible...so do not feel disheartened by the fact that you may have equipment that is 'inferior' to the 'gold standard equipment' users. The Sigma 300 f2.8 will in my view be an upgrade for you but it is an entirely different beast to what you have been used to. You may need a good tripod with a good head and give yourself time with the learning curve. If you can afford the Sigma 120-300 OS then that is the one to aim for but if you cannot get it then don't ever think that you cannot get cracking shots with the alternatives because you can.

Adrian,

You know what, this is one of the best comments I have read about photography, and has given me the encouragement to stop having "gear envy" & just persist & get the best out of what I've got!!

I can't afford £1,000s on new gear just now, so wil just have to get the best out my little old Canon 450D & Tokina zoom!!

Richard

Simon
if the reach of the 100-400 is just a little short for you then maybe you need a baghide...just a thought.

I have a lot of experience with the Sigma 300 prime. At 600mm you will not have the quality of a bare Sigma prime and sometimes not the quality of a Canon equivelant at the 600 range when viewed 100% but I can assure you that you can still do large quality prints. I did one recently and cropped about 50% and still got an A4 print that would be of publishable quality no sweat, and I am sure could have been printed larger. If you pixel peep you will find fault with any lens and that includes the new Canon 400f2.8 Mk2!

You don't state your budget but it would seem to me that if you cannot get a Canon second hand then you may have little option but to go for the Sigma 300 f2.8/ Sigma 120-300 OS if possible or consider a 50-500. Aside from IQ there is focus to consider and the Sigma prime does not have focus limiters. Now this can be a bummer but with anticipation and good practice you can minimise the effect by pre-focus which is a sinch.

The attached is a woodpigeon taken recently , jpeg capture (no in camera sharpening) Canon 7D , Sigma 300 f2.8 ,420mm, ISO 500 , f5.6 no post processing or sharpening other than resizing and compressing for the web which has induced compression artifacts. It follows that the original will be sharper and sharper still when sharpened.
The Iris was taken with a 2X converter and lifted off my gallery so is processed.

Finally, if you do go for the set up, based on my experience, there is a quality upstage by using a Canon 2X MkIII converter, there is certainly less chromatic aberation than there is with the Sigma and Kenko converters that I have used.

Thankyou for having the guts to stick your head above the parapet & say this,as there is a lot of brand snobbery out there.

Steve.B :)

Simon

:t::t::t:

Often the 'softness' of the lens means that it may need some focus microadjustment. If the OP has a Canon 7D, 5D or 1D series, perhaps it is a good thing to give it a try.

i know this is probably not much help, but if possible see if you can stretch to the sigma 500 4.5. I recently did and its just incredible, find it allot quicker, sharper and better contrast at 500mm than a mates 300 2.8 with a 1.4 or 2x converter. Plus i've also got the opportunity to add a 2x converter to make a 1000mm plus camera crop if i really needed!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back