• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma Lenses (1 Viewer)

Filters;

you love or hate em', and I'm with the hate em' bunch when it comes to cheap filters,
I use Hoya, though I may be tempted to spend a bit more and go for the Sigma filter that is designed for the Bigma if I can find it a bit cheaper when I (hopefully) visit the US later this year.

Like I said earlier, the only reason my 50-500 hasn't got one is the price.

bkrownd said:
IQ be damned, I'm wearing a protective filter on my lenses.
With respect, that's nuts!

;) ;) ;)

I simply fail to see the logic in spending a hill of money on expensive lenses precisely for their image quality, and then chucking all that money away by sticking a piece of crappy glass in the image path.

Been there, done that. Never again.

So, no filters for me. I just make sure I'm careful with the kit.

Keith Reeder said:
I simply fail to see the logic in spending a hill of money on expensive lenses precisely for their image quality, and then chucking all that money away by sticking a piece of crappy glass in the image path.

If I were actually using "crappy glass", you'd actually have a point.

Thanks for the input on Filters. I will probably stay away from them because I would rather not spend the extra money for a "good" filter.

I notice on Sigma4less that there is both DG and non DG versions of both the 50-500mm and 170-500mm. Is the DG the way to go for use with the Pentax K100D?

Also, if using the non DG versions are OK, what are your opinions of buying used off of EBAY? I thought I would watch ebay for a good deal, but what I am seeing is that they are not the DG versions coming up for sale.

Thanks again for all of the help and advice everyone is giving me. It is a big help.

Matt

Matt Palmquist said:
I notice on Sigma4less that there is both DG and non DG versions of both the 50-500mm and 170-500mm. Is the DG the way to go for use with the Pentax K100D?

I've used DG and non-DG lenses on my Canon DSLRs and have noticed not difference. The only difference (as I understand it) is tha the DG lenses have a different coasting on the rear element, not worth the extra money to my mind.

Manual focus 400mm or 500mm lenses

I have just ordered a Pentax K100D with a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5, and a Sigma 70-300mm Apo, both with MC filters, all sight unseen, and have no more money to spend on a very expensive longer zoom.
I am therefore looking around for a good quality, Pentax mount, manual focus lens, 400 or 500mm, to fit on this camera.
Is it possible to find such a thing?, at a reasonable price ?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

impotentspider said:
Filters;

Some arguments claim the filter can do more damage to the front element by breaking, my argument is, if the impact is hard enough to break the filter its going to screw up the front glass anyway if the filter wasnt on.

I have been using UV filters/Skylight filters on the front of lenses for about 30 years. I have had scratched filters but never a scratched lens. I have dropped lenses and had to send them back because the focus feed had cross threaded but not one broken peice of lens glass. I am sure you are right.

Len

bestboat said:
I have just ordered a Pentax K100D with a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5, and a Sigma 70-300mm Apo, both with MC filters, all sight unseen, and have no more money to spend on a very expensive longer zoom.
I am therefore looking around for a good quality, Pentax mount, manual focus lens, 400 or 500mm, to fit on this camera.
Is it possible to find such a thing?, at a reasonable price ?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Such lenses do exist, but they are pretty rare. Keep your eye on ebay, one will come up eventually. The good thing is that few people want MF lenses, so you should be able to get one quite cheap when it does appear. Bear in mind that the Pentax dSLRs can use the old M42 threaded mount (with a suitable adaptor). A Pentax M42 lens will certainly not be commanding a high price, even though the launch of the K10D has generally pushed up the 2nd hand prices of vintage Pentax glass.

Using any MF lens will be possible, though for the M42 and PK-M lenses you will be limited to manual exposure mode, and having to manually take an exposure reading whenever the light has changed. So, it's probably not ideally suited to wildlife photography, but it can be done. Using a PK-A lens will allow the full range of exposure modes. You pays your money, you takes your choice. I'd also advise using a genuine Pentax M42-PK adaptor as some of the pattern items have been known to jam, apparently.

BTW, I agree with Keith and Pete regarding use of filters. Used them for best part of 20 years, never had any damage. Took them off and realised just what I'd been missing for all of this time. Won't ever use a filter purely for protection again.

Regards,

Duncan

Last edited:
Hi all,
New to bird.net and happened accross this posts and since I'm a Pentax DSLR user I thought I'd chime in. The 50-500 has much better image quality then the 170-500. As someone mentioned the 50-500 is Sigma's EX line, which is there higher quality line of lenses. I know its a little backwards, typically the smaller zoom range lens would provide higher IQ but not in this case.

If you'd like to see some great example of what the 50-500 can do on a Pentax camera hope over to dpreview.com and look at any of the posts by a poster called the_hotel in the Pentax SLR forum. Great hawk/owl/Bald Eagle photos, and he doesn't use a tripod, just braces against what ever is handy at the moment. Gotta love the SR bulid into the pentax cams.

Anyway not sure if that helps, good luck.

John

Lenses for Pentax

Yelvertoft said:
Such lenses do exist, but they are pretty rare. Keep your eye on ebay, one will come up eventually. The good thing is that few people want MF lenses, so you should be able to get one quite cheap when it does appear. Bear in mind that the Pentax dSLRs can use the old M42 threaded mount (with a suitable adaptor). A Pentax M42 lens will certainly not be commanding a high price, even though the launch of the K10D has generally pushed up the 2nd hand prices of vintage Pentax glass.

Using any MF lens will be possible, though for the M42 and PK-M lenses you will be limited to manual exposure mode, and having to manually take an exposure reading whenever the light has changed. So, it's probably not ideally suited to wildlife photography, but it can be done. Using a PK-A lens will allow the full range of exposure modes. You pays your money, you takes your choice. I'd also advise using a genuine Pentax M42-PK adaptor as some of the pattern items have been known to jam, apparently.

BTW, I agree with Keith and Pete regarding use of filters. Used them for best part of 20 years, never had any damage. Took them off and realised just what I'd been missing for all of this time. Won't ever use a filter purely for protection again.

Regards,

Duncan

Thanks for your very helpful advice Duncan, I appreciate it.
In relative terms, it is not so long since we were all using manual-focus lenses.
Bestboat

bestboat said:
Thanks for your very helpful advice Duncan, I appreciate it.
In relative terms, it is not so long since we were all using manual-focus lenses.
Bestboat

I have no idea about shipping/taxes/duties but if your looking for older manual focus lenses keh.com gets them in regularly. The typically underrate their lenses and few people ever have a problem with them. I have no idea if its economical to ship overseas though.

John

Keith Reeder said:
Hi John, and welcome to Birdforum.

I wouldn't rule out the 170-500mm without first looking at the earlier work of "Psilo" (and more recently her 14 year old son, "sonofpsilo").

These pictures were all taken handheld with the 170-500 and no stabilisation, in camera or in lens, and - honestly - they're hard to fault.

For example:

Not much wrong with this lens in the right hands..!

;)

Yup can't fault any of those :). I think everyone has a different level of "whats good enough" when it comes to photos and if a lens can produce good images in your eyes then its the perfect lens for you :).

Its too bad there isn't an easy way to "try before you buy" with camera lenses.. they are such a large investment it would be nice to know your getting what you expect. Anyway I don't think the OP can go wrong either way as long as they post some photo's with their new lens!

John

palmor said:
I have no idea about shipping/taxes/duties but if your looking for older manual focus lenses keh.com gets them in regularly. The typically underrate their lenses and few people ever have a problem with them. I have no idea if its economical to ship overseas though.

John

Thanks, I'll have a look. Shipping to Europe seems to be $ 28-38, which seems reasonable, but Duty and Taxes may be the Killer.

Regards, Bestboat

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back