• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TELECONVERTER FOR TAMRON 200-500 nikon fit (1 Viewer)

nez

Camera Gear Nikon D300 with 300 2.8 AFS VR lens
I have just decided to buy this lens after the great reviews i have heard on this site what i need to know is .Can a 1.4 kenko pro 300 dg teleconverter be fitted to this lens i know it will be fully manual focus im just a bit woried about the 6.3 f stop this lens has and what is the best f stop to shoot this lens with.Is it true the lens is very soft at its widest aperture,and does the lens have a zoom lock to prevent lens creep.I look forward to hearing your replies.

Thanks.

I think it's possible to put a Kenko 1.4x tc on this lens (I'm sure someone whoowns the lens can confirm), however I doubt it will produce great results. Out of interest why are you going for this lens? I would have thought that apart from being a bit longer there would be no advantage to this over your 80-400 VR. I would have thought the 80-400 was a 'better' lens.

postcardcv said:
I think it's possible to put a Kenko 1.4x tc on this lens (I'm sure someone whoowns the lens can confirm), however I doubt it will produce great results. Out of interest why are you going for this lens? I would have thought that apart from being a bit longer there would be no advantage to this over your 80-400 VR. I would have thought the 80-400 was a 'better' lens.

It is possible and it even autofocuses (slowly!) in decent light. Not so sure the 80-400 VR is a better lens!
Having said this, the results aren't great.

postcardcv said:

Thank you for your reply The reason i am purchasing this lens is for my dad to use i myself love the 80-400 vr lens wow its sharp at f8 also i own a nikon afs 2.8 70-200mm vr lens with a 1.7tce11 teleconverter which shooting birds in flight is a doddle wow its fast even with the converter the only drawback is the weight of the lens.What quality can i expect from the tamron in comparison to the 80-400 vr lens.

Thanks again.

rezMole said:
It is possible and it even autofocuses (slowly!) in decent light. Not so sure the 80-400 VR is a better lens!
Having said this, the results aren't great.

Hi rez mole im impressed with your web site but cannot find a link to your bird pics have you any pictures taken with the tamron lens.

Thanks

The Kenko 300 Pro 1.4 works fine if slower with the Tamron 200-500, the Tamron 1.4 works even better, although I believe it's a rebadged TelePlus (Kenko)? I think the same manufacturer makes just about all the independant teleconverters, they used to be made by Hoya and rebadged!

nirofo.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back