Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - A window to the world of birds

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 30th July 2017, 09:13   #251
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

I'm thinking of visiting Warburg Reserve in the next few days. Are the narrow-lipped orchids - and the other 'specials' especially yellow birdsnest - easy to find?

Regards

Steve

@SteveBabbs
Old Monday 31st July 2017, 08:46   #252
bustersymes

Hi Steve

I have no recent info from Warburg - so others please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - but based on timings of other things this summer I suspect you may be on the late side for Narrow-lipped (and suspect also they may not have had a very good year).

When I went last year I found the staff at Warburg's visitor centre very helpful and willing to give good directions to any orchids etc that are currently on show. You could also try ringing the centre in advance in case they can tell you if it's worth a visit for the specialities you're looking for.

Good luck!

Cheers
Andy
Old Monday 31st July 2017, 08:53   #253
muba

I was disappointed by Warburg last week. One NLH had flowered and gone over, and a few BLH around. The centre was open, but no-one on hand. There was a reserve map with orchid locations on the desk though.
Old Monday 31st July 2017, 12:42   #254
toby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Babbs View Post
I'm thinking of visiting Warburg Reserve in the next few days. Are the narrow-lipped orchids - and the other 'specials' especially yellow birdsnest - easy to find?

Regards

Steve
They've had a very bad year for Helleborines at Warburg. Only two NL when I went on 16/07. I can give you the grid reference if you PM me but I'd be very surprised if they're worth looking at now. Probably best to email the trust instead. They were very helpful when I spoke to them and should be able to give you the latest. - Toby
Old Monday 31st July 2017, 12:52   #255
muba

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
They've had a very bad year for Helleborines at Warburg. Only two NL when I went on 16/07. I can give you the grid reference if you PM me but I'd be very surprised if they're worth looking at now. Probably best to email the trust instead. They were very helpful when I spoke to them and should be able to give you the latest. - Toby
Thanks for the offer Toby, but back home in N. Wales now. Another year perhaps.

Steve
Old Monday 31st July 2017, 16:10   #256
Yashca

I'm going to be in Dorset on Wednesday/Thursday. I don't know if it's a bit late, but will Bog Orchid still be in flower?

If anyone can recommend a site (preferably with incredibly specific directions to the exact spot) I'd be delighted.
Old Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 16:27   #257
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Thanks Toby. It'll be waiting for another year anyway as I had to cancel the trip.

@SteveBabbs
Old Wednesday 2nd August 2017, 17:23   #258
leptochila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Babbs View Post
Thanks Toby. It'll be waiting for another year anyway as I had to cancel the trip.
I also saw the plants. Pretty disappointing show!
Old Friday 4th August 2017, 17:41   #259
muba

Strange BLH

Has anybody seen this before? Its a BLH in bud but the buds are large, swaolen and globular. I tried to examine one, but could not make much out apart from the lip. Will they eventually open, and will the flowers be normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blobs.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	635037  
Old Friday 4th August 2017, 20:36   #260
muba

New site for BLH

I was rather pleased on a return to a new BLH site to find them much more numerous and extensive than on our first visit. The clump shown below contained many more spikes than we saw at Warburg last week in total. Many of the spikes were above waist height.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nyf1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	495.4 KB
ID:	635075  Click image for larger version

Name:	nyf2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	635076  Click image for larger version

Name:	nyf3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	635077  Click image for larger version

Name:	nyf4.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	635078  
Old Thursday 10th August 2017, 06:49   #261
jeffnsue

Violet Helleborine

Thanks to a tip off from Muba I knew this variant of Violet helleborine was growing in the colony at Coalbrookdale and thanks to his excellent directions I managed to find it growing on a precipitous slope in the depths of the beech woodland. This variant lacks chlorophyll and but is able to flower and fruit successfully and must depend entirely on its fungal partner for nutrition. This is not the pinkest plant Ive seen posted but nevertheless I was pleased to see it as it was the first of this variety Ive seen.
Jeff Hodgson
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E purpurata rosea Plant 01.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	635770  Click image for larger version

Name:	E purpurata rosea Spike 01.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	635771  
Old Thursday 10th August 2017, 08:51   #262
rmielcarek

What a lovely looking plant Jeff

Rich
Old Thursday 10th August 2017, 09:18   #263
jeffnsue

Yes it stands tall doesn’t it Rich, so many rosea seem to be bent over, almost distorted. Wish it had been a bit brighter pink though, still, can’t have everything.
Jeff
Old Friday 11th August 2017, 08:02   #264
jeffnsue

Broad-leaved Helleborine - Epipactis helleborine

Went to Minera Quarry yesterday with old chum Clive as it had been reported that Autumn Gentian were in flower. That will require another visit, plenty of plants but few in flower as yet. There were also plenty of Broad-leaved Helleborine, most of which had gone over, but some still in flower. This plant was growing under the quarry face: its leaves are much lighter green than one would expect to see, almost yellow, and most of the plants in this area were similar. Some had leaves which were deeply keeled too, whereas other plants growing in the wood had the normal dark green, flat, almost leathery leaves.

(Later, looked at Harrap, could this plant be what he calls a ‘Young’s type’, which he says occurs in many large colonies, though he is sceptical about v youngiana itself, given the wide varaition in E helleborine)

Later bumped into Muba at another BLH site, look out for his photos on his Twitter feed here: https://twitter.com/SteveTandy3

Jeff Hodgson
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E helleborine Plant Minera 01.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	635890  Click image for larger version

Name:	E helleborine Florets Minera 01.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	635891  

Last edited by jeffnsue : Friday 11th August 2017 at 08:42.
Old Friday 11th August 2017, 12:20   #265
leptochila

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnsue View Post
Thanks to a tip off from Muba I knew this variant of Violet helleborine was growing in the colony at Coalbrookdale and thanks to his excellent directions I managed to find it growing on a precipitous slope in the depths of the beech woodland. This variant lacks chlorophyll and but is able to flower and fruit successfully and must depend entirely on its fungal partner for nutrition. This is not the pinkest plant I’ve seen posted but nevertheless I was pleased to see it as it was the first of this variety I’ve seen.
Jeff Hodgson
Hi Jeff (and Steve)

I don't wish to rain on the parade but when I first found this plant in 2015 it did have some areas of chlorophyll at the leaf bases. If you look closely at the ovaries, there is a greenish tint as well so I'm not sure it's the full monty rosea. I sent the record to the county recorder (Sarah Whild) as 'near rosea'. Will post some pics later. This does not of course detract from it's beauty!

Mike

P.S. If any of the Wales/Midlands contingent wish to check a Worcs rosea site - I did see a definite plant there in 2013. Message me for site details if you wish to have a look.

Last edited by leptochila : Friday 11th August 2017 at 12:29.
Old Friday 11th August 2017, 12:28   #266
muba

I sort of concur with Jeff on those Minera BLH. Here's apicture which shows that, while they are associated with bushes below the quarry face, they are growing openon all sides. I have seen these growing there since the mid 80s but the fence and falling rocks notices have meant I have been a good boy until last week when the urge to look was overwhelming. They also grow within the woodland above the quarry face and there they have typical leaves. And those probably supplied the seed for those in the open below. Hence likely same populations
I wouldn't go as far as to venture Young's Helleborine - unless one decides to extend the habitat range those are found in. Perhaps a review of this eco-type is needed.

Good to meet up with you Jeff and thanks for the plug.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	minqopen.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	635930  
Old Friday 11th August 2017, 12:47   #267
jeffnsue

You’re quite right about the tinges of green on the ovaries Mike, and it could be that that hint of green is also diluting the ‘pinkness’ of this plant, which is not as bright as I’d expected. Nonetheless it’s a step on the way for me, as I’d not even seen a ‘near rosea’ before
Jeff

Last edited by jeffnsue : Saturday 12th August 2017 at 08:07. Reason: Spelling error
Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 16:48   #268
Phil Bishop

For what its worth, I happened to be in the area so popped into Warburg for an hour or so. The visitors centre map has Narrow Lipped (crossed out) and a few Broad Leaved Helleborines.
The Broad Leaved have all been eaten, presumably by deer-we found about a dozen plants in total. The Narrow Lipped/Violet cages were largely empty apart from three containing a few tiny plants.
Added to which there seemed to be few Gentians this year-small numbers of Autumn (masses of those at Aston Rowant) and no Chiltern, though perhaps we were a bit early.
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 21:12   #269
leptochila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bishop View Post
For what its worth, I happened to be in the area so popped into Warburg for an hour or so. The visitors centre map has Narrow Lipped (crossed out) and a few Broad Leaved Helleborines.
The Broad Leaved have all been eaten, presumably by deer-we found about a dozen plants in total. The Narrow Lipped/Violet cages were largely empty apart from three containing a few tiny plants.
Added to which there seemed to be few Gentians this year-small numbers of Autumn (masses of those at Aston Rowant) and no Chiltern, though perhaps we were a bit early.
Yeah..... I had an equally disappointing trip there in July. There are better places for Narrow-lipped helleborine.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: