• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi-MD for sonogram analysis (1 Viewer)

Terpsiphone

Dear Forum members,

Are the Hi-MD recorders adequate for scientific sonogram analysis? I am studying song birds in the tropical forest, therefore portability is an issue. I am overwhelmed by the diverse SONY Hi-MD products. Could someone share some experience? Any suggestion is deeply appreciated.

Hi,
If you want to record and listen or play the songs you have recorded then I guess most of the Hi-MD recoders would do. If you want to study the sonograms in detail then only the Hi-MD MZ-RH1 is of sufficient quality. This is the last recorder in the Hi-MD line, and it is the only one that produces files in the uncompressed PCM format. In practice PCM is identical to WAV format. All other Hi-MD recorders use ATRAC lossy compression, which destroys parts of the signal. You should double check if the Hi-MD is really servicable before you get one. It may not be any more.

If you get a Hi-MD note also that the mic should have its own battery (power source) and a 3.5mm stereo jack. A XLR connector does not fit directly to a Hi-MD.

Harry

Hi,
If you want to study the sonograms in detail then only the Hi-MD MZ-RH1 is of sufficient quality.....and it is the only one that produces files in the uncompressed PCM format.

Not true.

I also use a Sony MZNH900 and this, and other Sony recorders record in uncompressed linear PCM. I also have the MZRH1 though have only used this to archive my older recordings straight to computer.

For what it's worth, I have recorded in ATRAC mono and produced perfectly readable sonograms where the calls are no different in structure except for less overall bandwidth resolution.

Hi-MD with mic and PCM

I also use a Sony MZNH900 and this, and other Sony recorders record in uncompressed linear PCM.

Dear Bombycilla,

Thanks for correcting me on this. As this questions seems to pop up every now and then, I have did some further background checking. In principle all the minidisks that can use Hi-MDs have also PCM. At least the following models can record PCM and have a mic input. They seem OK in these respects MZ-RH1, MZ-M100, MZ-RH10, MZ-M10, MZ-RH910, MZ-NH1, MZ-NH900, MZ-NHF800, MZ-NH700. Make sure to read carefully the specifications of the recorder before you get one.

regards
HarryJ

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back