• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Video capture advice (1 Viewer)

manxie

Hello everyone
Last year I set up my first bird box camera where I watched blue tits nesting and raising their young via my TV. Bit of a sad end really as the original brood of about 10 reduced daily until there were only 2 left, and then another bird got in the nest and killed them. I switched on literally as this other bird was finishing the massacre. Anyway it's not put me off and this year I've got 2 boxes up with cameras. I've not found a way of being able to feed both via a scart lead into the TV, so decided to use my laptop/pc as well. I thought this would also let me record things during the night.

Anyway, the problem I have is knowing what video capture device (or other device) I need. I did buy an easycap thing off EBay, but it doesn't seem to work, and in trying to find answers via the internet I note that loads of people seem to have problems with easycap and their drivers.

My laptop and pc both run on windows xp. Can anyone please give me some advice on what systems they use to get pictures onto their pc's, or what might work for me?

Many thanks

Hello everyone
Last year I set up my first bird box camera where I watched blue tits nesting and raising their young via my TV. Bit of a sad end really as the original brood of about 10 reduced daily until there were only 2 left, and then another bird got in the nest and killed them. I switched on literally as this other bird was finishing the massacre. Anyway it's not put me off and this year I've got 2 boxes up with cameras. I've not found a way of being able to feed both via a scart lead into the TV, so decided to use my laptop/pc as well. I thought this would also let me record things during the night.

Anyway, the problem I have is knowing what video capture device (or other device) I need. I did buy an easycap thing off EBay, but it doesn't seem to work, and in trying to find answers via the internet I note that loads of people seem to have problems with easycap and their drivers.

My laptop and pc both run on windows xp. Can anyone please give me some advice on what systems they use to get pictures onto their pc's, or what might work for me?

Many thanks

I use the easycap to get my CCTV into my laptop and it works fine, have you tried the software which is supplied with the unit? Mine came with MultiViewer software and it does everything which I need it to do. Mine is only on test indoors at the minute but I don't see what difference putting the cameras outside will make.

At a guess I would say keep trying what you have got and do it inside until you know that it works then site everything where you want it.

I currently have CCTV cameras which I used on an old system which was very limited. I have since purchased new cameras and they work very well. I'm going to try to alter the leads on my old cameras to also get them to work and then I might mount a camera inside of a nest box and possibly mount a camera next to my pond so that I can watch my fish from indoors.

I use the easycap to get my CCTV into my laptop and it works fine, have you tried the software which is supplied with the unit? Mine came with MultiViewer software and it does everything which I need it to do. Mine is only on test indoors at the minute but I don't see what difference putting the cameras outside will make.

At a guess I would say keep trying what you have got and do it inside until you know that it works then site everything where you want it.

I currently have CCTV cameras which I used on an old system which was very limited. I have since purchased new cameras and they work very well. I'm going to try to alter the leads on my old cameras to also get them to work and then I might mount a camera inside of a nest box and possibly mount a camera next to my pond so that I can watch my fish from indoors.

Thanks for this Mick. Sorry for the delay in replying but I've been away. I've also just bought a new CCD camera which is supposed to give sharper pictures, and I've bought a new Easy Cap system, so fingers crossed. For the time being though I'm going to back to using the TV for viewing until I'm sure I've got occupants in the bird box. I've also bought a switcher box (gone mad on the purchasing side recently!!!!) that lets me play up to 3 cameras through one scart lead on the TV. Previously I had to keep unplugging and replugging leads to check the cameras in the 2 boxes I now have up which was a bit of a nuisance. So all I need now are the Blue Tits. They're coming to my bird feeders but not to my box!! I'm thinking of putting up a sign like they do in hotels and eateries along the lines of 'for residents only'.

I like the idea of you using the CCTV outside. I suppose if I don't get birds in the box I could move a camera to the bird feeder. Good luck with yours.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back