• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terns, terns and more terns from Vic, Australia. (1 Viewer)

Tiraya

San Diego CA
United Kingdom
I've had these images for a long time now since the time I found the Arctic, and have still not been able to identify them. I have had several mixed views on the topic, and would really like a definite answer on them. The argument comes down between White-fronted and Common.
The first 3 images are Tern A, the next 2 are Tern B.

Tern B might be the same bird as Tern A but I am not sure. After that, with the images on the second post, the terns were flying off, coming in and moving around all over the place so I can't be sure of which ones were the same.

Tern A and B are from the same day, and C+ are from the week after.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Tern A img1.jpg
    Tern A img1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Tern A img2.jpg
    Tern A img2.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 116
  • Tern A img3.jpg
    Tern A img3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Tern B img1.jpg
    Tern B img1.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Tern B img2.jpg
    Tern B img2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Here are Terns CD and E and F.

Attachments

• Tern CD img 1.jpg
    Tern CD img 1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Tern CD img 2.jpg
    Tern CD img 2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Tern E img 1.jpg
    Tern E img 1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Tern F img 1.jpg
    Tern F img 1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 100
Due to the lack of dark edging to the primaries on the under wing - I think White-Fronted is the most likely. The edging is very minimal on the 1st & 4th pictures, and I believe Common would show a broader edging in all ages.

Due to the lack of dark edging to the primaries on the under wing

The last 2 birds in the second post had dark edging, if this changes anything (though they all show the white edge on the primaries as JanJ says above). See attachment. Should have added that one in the first post.

Attachments

• Tern E img 2.jpg
    Tern E img 2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 88
I think we can safely assume that they are not Common Terns, meaning the ones in pic. 1-5 & pic 2-4 in post 2 but White-fronted on the features that has been suggested here.

JanJ

Thanks all.

Its bad news because I have to take Common off my Australia list, but good because White-fronted is a lifer.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back