• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Traveller BGA's (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
Has anyone tried these? They look incredibly compact, come in 6x32, 8x32 and 10x32, and are reasonably priced. The 8x is only 98mm in height! BAK4 prisms & the whole nine yards. Narrow FOV maybe?

I've got a pair of the 8x32s and am very impressed with them. Field of view is fine on the 8x (111m), though I found it to be very poor on the 10x (90m) model - I also found the short eye relief to be an issue on the 10x.

The close focus is excellent at 1.5m, the small size and weight make them ideal bins to take everywhere. The focus wheel is at the back, which takes a little getting used to, but is fine.

Given the small size and weight, the stunning close focus, good quality optics and very reasonable price (not to mention the 30 year warranty), they are well worth a good look.

Sancho
I've been using the 8 x 32's for over a year now. Overall I'm very pleased with them, especially low weight waterproof etc.
Very close focus is another bonus. I do find the dof a bit lacking - but I can't say whether they are any worse than others. also on my pair the pop out eyepieces are a bit of a pain - very stiff to set - this is only an issue if you wear glasses.

The locking idea for the interpupillary distance is a good idea in theory but in practice the locking ring slips very easily so its really a bit of a gimmick.

Overall I don't think there's much to touch them at the price so I don't think you'll be disappointed.

John

Thanks, PostcardCV and John, got the Travellers yesterday, used them in the field (Kilcoole Marsh) today, very impressed. Great Optics, genuinely compact 8x32, locking ring a bit pointless but no problem, I don´t find the DOF any problem, FOV could be wider but the nearest "compact" 8x32 with a wider FOV costs an extra 1,000 euro and isn´t actually compact. Which defeats the purpose. All in all, great value for money, really usable pocket bins, thanks again for the advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back