• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood/Green Sandpiper (1 Viewer)

puffinboy

Dear All

Lovely walk/birdwatch near Pett Levels in East Sussex..

The wardens have flooded an area north of the Royal Military Canal/Pannel Sewer and this has attracted many waders/gulls/ducks and tens of sand martins...

Managed to get an hour there this afternoon - I did read on the Sussex Ornithological Website reports of Green and Wood Sandpiper - also Greenshank, Ruff and Black Tailed Godwit...

Now Black Tailed Godwit I did see and Greenshank and Ruff but the Sandpipers are causing me consternation...!

I have attached a montage of a unknown sandpiper (there were at least 3 of them) of the freshwater edge of the aforementioned flooded area...

I would be delighted to receive comment... - I think wood sandpiper -but I'm not sure.........

Cheers Tom

see also - www.susos.org.uk

Attachments

• Sandpiper_Montage.jpg
    Sandpiper_Montage.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 270
Top left looks like a Wood Sandpiper... top right is a Common Sandpiper... charming view of the one on the bottom, couldn't figure it out.

Hi Tom,
While it is very difficult to be sure of the ID from these photos, the bird (are these all of the same individual?) seems to be a Wood Sandpiper to me. Green Sandpiper would be darker on the upperparts, and structurally is more like a large Common Sandpiper. This bird is more of a typical Tringa in structure, a bit like a small Redshank, with longer legs than a Green and also a prominent supercilium (think I can make this out in the second and third pics). Can be aged as a juvenile based on the regular spotting of the upperparts, adults being more worn at this time of year.
Harry

Hi talons
You can click on those thumbnails to make them bigger. Then you would see that by no stretch of the imagination could that top right bird be a common sand.
i`m quite happy that it is a wood sand.

hi Puffinboy
Are you sure that all three pictures are of the same bird? I say this because, whilst i am happy with the top right pic being of wood sand, the top left looks to be of a Greenshank. The neck looks longer,darker and paler chinned. There seems to be more contrast with the primaries and coverts; the underside appears wholey white. (wood sand are never that clean). and the bird is wading quite a way out from the bank. (a feature more consistant with Greenshank than wood sand).
The third shot i am not brave enough to comment on.

Hi Tom,

I certainly wouldn't call any of the three a Common sandpiper and I'm presuming pic 2 & 3 are the same bird which looks good for Wood sandpiper. However, i'd be reluctant to call the bird in the first pic. Superficially, it doesn't say Wood sandpiper to me whether due to photographic effect or what i don't know but it appears too grey for Wood Sandpiper.

Hi Mícheál,
I share your concerns about the first pic, but admit that it doesn't really seem to be a Greenshank on structure etc, and perhaps it is just due to a photographic effect?
Harry

To be honest, greenshank was my first thought but, the bill is putting me off more than anything...appears too short! But, surely too strong and overall too bright a bird to be the same bird as in pics 2 and 3??

Can't be convinced of Wood sand at all...may be very wrong but the bird seems too strongly built and bright overall to be typical Wood Sand! Not convinced of Greenshank either but what else could fit??? Bloody cameras.. ;)

Hi again Tom,

Having seen the bird, can you give any additional info? Was the bird different to that in the other 2 pics? Did it appear this grey or was it darker in real time? Any hints you could give might encourage a more appropriate ID as at the moment, I have a feeling the quality of the photo is going to leave the true ID in doubt.

Thank you all for your comments - very interesting - I'm sorry that one of the pics caused such issues - I agree!! - I did take other pics of a Greenshank but the montage was of the same bird - I suspect a trick of the light - Cameras can cause such annoying problems I know.......!

This was first time I have seen the presumed Wood Sandpiper - and having seen the Greenshanks on the same afternoon I would be pretty confident of telling them apart..

There were at least 3 of the said pipers in that area - so the comment regarding juveniles could be relavent...

Hope to revisit the area soon so hope for more pics.......

Cheers Tom

The right hand and bottom pic.. givene a choice betweemn Green Sand and Wood Sand.. yes Wood, though I'm not sure they are identifiable without restricting the cboice.

Like others I am having trouble identifying the top left bird though it reallly doesn't look like a Wood Sand to me.

Hi Harry
You say that the (first pic doesnt look like a greenshank on structure etc). In what way?. And what does The (etc) mean, is it something that you have identified over and above structure?
M Cowming says that he was happy, but for the Bill. Apparently too short and too strong. I think the reason it looks short is due to the angle of the bird. But having said that (juv) greenshank`s bill is shorter than adult anyway.

Hi M Cowming
When i first came accross this thread and clicked on the thumbnail, my first impression was of Greenshank for pic(1) and Reeve for pic(2). But was happy with the concensus of wood sand, having read the mail.
I showed the pics to a friend who,without any prompting from me,came up with the same ID.
I think it is important that we all lose interest in this thread and move on!

Hi Roger,

There are times, such as this one, where certain photographed birds will never be conclusively identified. I still stick by my guns and disapprove of Pic 1 being a Wood Sand and most likely a Greenshank. I appreciate that camera angle etc. can "alter" features to such a degree that it can actually stump the best of birders.

"I think it is important that we all lose interest in this thread and move on!"

While I can understand what would urge you to make this comment, I think it's important to scrutinise such pictures not least if to learn a little more about bird identification. Since I've joined this forum, i find such debates as this the most healthy and informative. I consider myself a decent birder and have even gotten the simplest of ID's wrong on here myself...aswell as witness others who i consider to "know their stuff" suffer the same embarrassment.

My point is, it's a great tool to improve our identification skills and the more "dodgy" photographic contributions we have, the more we will learn.

Good to hear your comments though!!!

Best regards,

Hi M Cowming
The statement of (i think we should lose interest and move on) was a joke!
However i refer you you a previous mail where you say that (you arent convinced of greenshank either) So which guns are you sticking to ?

Hi Roger,

I think I've clearly stated that I "think" the bird may be a Greenshank and have never said that it IS a Greenshank! The mail where I said I wasn't convinced about it being a Greenshank either was due to reason stated; ie apparent short bill but I also stated "what else could fit?" I think I reserve the right to question my own thoughts on the bird's ID. I also think the sum of my contribution clearly state that I think the bird is "probably" a Greenshank. Is that not sticking to my guns?

By the way, you have commented that Greenshank juveniles posess shorter bills than adults in one of your previous posts which seems to be one of your reasons for keeping with Greenshank ID. I'm just curious as to where you found this piece of info. Personally, I have never noticed this feature and to quote "Collins", the juvenile Greenshank's bill is "long, stout, slightly upturned".

Anyway, as much as I think it MAY be a Greenshank, it seems we are both wrong to think so as the thread starter has clearly stated, "the montage is of the same bird". This would indicate that it is infact a Wood Sandpiper and not a Greenshank or Reeve or anything else!

Like I said, bloody cameras! ;)

Have a nice day,

Last edited:
Hi M
Collins
Look at the text and dont just look at the plates.
the caption next to the juv doesnt mean that it is exclusively for juvs.
In the text there is no mention of this feature for separation of juv/ad.
Dont just make stuff up to win a debate.
But having said all that:- Have a nice day.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back