• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragon ID,please (UK) (1 Viewer)

Mick Harris

United Kingdom
Taken earlier today in the Ashdown Forest in the company of lots of Darters.
The only one of these to settle I saw coming from 25 yards away straight towards me landing 2 feet away on the lakeside vegetetion far too close for my lens to focus on so this and 4 or 5 other flying shots are all I have to go on.
Some kind of Hawker but which?

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_8030.jpg
    IMG_8030.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 99
Thanks to you both ...maybe a cert. ID will follow if there's enough to go on.
Today was my first time to get results with flying shots and a very frustrating business it was trying to track and focus etc. and cursing as the most stationary hoverer was much too close for my 400 mm.

Thanks Clare....funnily enough yesterday a Dragonfly was flying around our backroom...a female SH.
A first for me and easy to identify having caught it in a large jar before releasing it.

Thanks again

Mick

Hi Mick, Clare is spot on, male Southern Hawker, If you look at the two last blue bands on the abdomen, this denotes a Southern, if you look carefully at the thorax behind the head you can just make out a thick yellow stripe, migrants are very much smaller and lastly those lovely almost fluor, green bands & bi-coloured eye (blue/yell) confirm a Southern.Cracking shot.!!! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back