• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GS scopes? (1 Viewer)

Have anyone any experience with the GS series from Opticron. I am interested in non-expensive, smaller scope in 60-65 mm with 35x eyepiece. I therefore looked at the: GS 665 GA on Opticrons site. I have not had the oppotunity to test it jet.
Is the scope worth the money or should I look for other brands (Kowa for example)??!

regards
Anders
;)

Anders Bræstrup said:
Have anyone any experience with the GS series from Opticron. I am interested in non-expensive, smaller scope in 60-65 mm with 35x eyepiece. I therefore looked at the: GS 665 GA on Opticrons site. I have not had the oppotunity to test it jet.
Is the scope worth the money or should I look for other brands (Kowa for example)??!

regards
Anders
;)
Anders,
This new 'scope series seems like good value, but as they are not due to be available until October this year, we must wait until they can be tested before (preferably personal) opinions are made. On the Opticron web-site they sound quite interesting.

Roger

Your right. I missed the release date. Anyway I am still looking for a smaller scope in the same price scale as the 'GS' scope. I look forward to test the GS scope, but I will also look for other brands and models.
Anders

I noticed Warehouse Express have started advertising this new range. The 81.5mm model plus HDF zoom is about £450 which seems good value. No mention of whether these GS scopes have ED glass or not. Anybody else know?

Des.

ed version

I was talking to Opticron reps at bird fair,an ED version is due late spring next year.Seems odd to issue the standard version first.I had a look through the 66 mm scope and it was excelent. Price at warehouse express £259

norman said:
I was talking to Opticron reps at bird fair,an ED version is due late spring next year.Seems odd to issue the standard version first.I had a look through the 66 mm scope and it was excelent. Price at warehouse express £259

Hi Norman.
What eyepiece was on the new 66 mm scope? Could you make a more detailed describtion on your impression of the GS 665 scope :)
Anders

Hi Anders
I had both the HDF zoom and theHDF 40858(cat No)35x on the scope,I was intending to buy the 62mm LEICA but not now I will wait for the ED version of the GS scope,quality comes close to the none ED leica sharp to the edges and very bright.

norman said:
Hi Anders
I had both the HDF zoom and theHDF 40858(cat No)35x on the scope,I was intending to buy the 62mm LEICA but not now I will wait for the ED version of the GS scope,quality comes close to the none ED leica sharp to the edges and very bright.

Thank you norman!
I am still looking forward to try it my self as soon as it is possible. I was also thinking of a combination of GS 665 and the 35x eyepiece. I hope I will find the current GS 665 model good enough - my budget won't allow me to go the step further with the comming ED version.

Opticron GS-665

Hello, i recentry own an Opticron GS-665, non ED, with a 40810 HDF eyepiece ( x20) and a DTL eyepiece (x9,5 very large eye relief) for digiscoping with large lense digital camera (nikon coolpix 5400).
The overall quality is very good, made in japan, two focus knobs (one for fine focus). This scope is very bright and sharp, and the eyepiece have large eye relief and lens diameter, so digiscoping and visual are very easy.
I enjoy to use my Coolpix with, and i hope have some pics in a few weeks.
Have a good job with, i think the ED version of the GS 665 is good for high magnify (X35 and more).
Yves Lafont

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back