• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grist to the Anti-raptor Mill (2 Viewers)

Ah, so getting married on the island and being a godfather to the kids makes you see things to do with eagles that other 'proper' scientists can't...hmmmmm. This thread reminds me of the man with the giant ravens.....! Please, print your book. I'd love to read the reviews....

Do we look for it in the fiction or non-fiction section though?

Sounds very much like a small amount of anecdotal evidence + a large amount of hearsay= '(fact)' in some people's eyes.

Torn between not feeding the troll and getting the popcorn out and watching the show.......

Eaglet reared on ground

Sounds very much like a small amount of anecdotal evidence + a large amount of hearsay= '(fact)' in some people's eyes.

Torn between not feeding the troll and getting the popcorn out and watching the show.......

Young eglet reared on ground, after eirie had fallen to ground.

Last edited:

whats this picture fact or fiction, you tell me where i can see the same type anywhere

Last edited:
Perhaps its because they have not been bothered to look at the full picture, walked the hills, talked to the farmers, got married on the island, been god farther to some of the kids on mull Yes I find if very frustrating with the so called bird people, when all they want to hear is where can i put another tick in my box, all this is making me more determined to get my book printed, I will never forget the day I found the remains of one of the few females that regulaly reared two young. Or the time we got the news that an eagle eirie had fallen to the ground, by the time we got there the parents had been back and rebuilt the eirie aroung the young eglet,and ended up rearing it on the ground, fantastic, all in my book.

Not sure what info about eagles can be gained by getting married or having godchildren, but when talking to farmers don't you think they might be slightly biased against eagles?

Dear eagle golden man,

I am sure that you have something interesting to say, but unfortunately it gets lost by "shouting" about it. I am sure if you discussed the issues on this thread showing a little more respect for the collective lifetimes of experience here you could really contribute something of value.

Not sure what info about eagles can be gained by getting married or having godchildren, but when talking to farmers don't you think they might be slightly biased against eagles?

Despite the fact that the vast majority of lamb deaths are caused by exposure to bad weather, disease and general poor husbandry - many farmers would rather blame any number of other convienient scapegoats for all their perceived ills:-C

Despite the fact that the vast majority of lamb deaths are caused by exposure to bad weather, disease and general poor husbandry - many farmers would rather blame any number of other convienient scapegoats for all their perceived ills:-C

I think the plot has been lost, to the original post, has anyone been in touch with the newspaper to challenge the original picture, and the fact that it may have been doctored.

I think the plot has been lost, to the original post, has anyone been in touch with the newspaper to challenge the original picture, and the fact that it may have been doctored.

Not sure, but I doubt the Daily Mail cares whether it is doctored or not.

In any case, no-one doubts that golden eagles can carry dead lambs so it makes no real difference whether its fake or real.

Things may have gone a bit off topic, but I think most people are probably more interested in your tales from Mull and whether you can provide anything other than anecdotal evidence than in whether the Daily mails pic is real or fake....

I suppose the eight foot Golden Eagles they talk about in the fact panel in the article would need to reach 100mph to catch the tortoises, which they probably then drop on the lambs to kill them. As for the lamb sticking the nut on the eagle, well, this is normal juvenile behaviour we all know and love in Scotland.8-P And they seriously believe people to believe this drivel?

Andy

I suppose the eight foot Golden Eagles they talk about in the fact panel in the article would need to reach 100mph to catch the tortoises, which they probably then drop on the lambs to kill them. As for the lamb sticking the nut on the eagle, well, this is normal juvenile behaviour we all know and love in Scotland.8-P And they seriously believe people to believe this drivel?

Andy

Funnily enough I did once witness a Peregrine bomb a small party of ducks using a freshly caught pigeon as the bomb. I don't think it was intentional though.....

Not sure, but I doubt the Daily Mail cares whether it is doctored or not.

In any case, no-one doubts that golden eagles can carry dead lambs so it makes no real difference whether its fake or real.

Things may have gone a bit off topic, but I think most people are probably more interested in your tales from Mull and whether you can provide anything other than anecdotal evidence than in whether the Daily mails pic is real or fake....

You will have to read my book ???

agreed, the eagles left foot appears to be sticking through the lambs body. Also, look closely and you will see a slight 'glow' coming from the lamb. Something is dodgy here

This picture is obviously not a fake. The corona effect/chromatic aberration you mention is evident on the top of the eagle's head/neck. I can spot photoshop jobs a mile away--if this image is doctored, it's the work of an absolute master.

This picture is obviously not a fake. The corona effect/chromatic aberration you mention is evident on the top of the eagle's head/neck. I can spot photoshop jobs a mile away--if this image is doctored, it's the work of an absolute master.

I agree it has been done by a clever person, but nevertheless it is a fake.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back