• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mealy Redpoll West Mids (1 Viewer)

Some thoughts on the Marsh Lane ‘Arctic –like’ Redpoll.

My understanding has been informed, partly, by finding an apparent Arctic Redpoll in South Yorkshire a couple of years ago, which caused quite a few headaches, of the same nature as the Marsh Lane bird is causing, and it lead to much investigating and carefully examination of many Redpolls (including over 100 Mealy Redpolls) in the UK over the next few months. I went to see the Marsh Lane bird on 2nd and 3rd January and came to the conclusion that the plumage and structure of this bird was outside of my understanding of the range for Mealy Redpoll. I was particularly interested to test the idea that had already been promoted that the bird might be an Icelandic Redpoll. By seeing the bird in the field, especially in regard to its size, I feel that such a claim, while entirely understandable may be something of a distraction (although others will no doubt disagree!). I conveyed to Chris Batty at RBA on the 3rd that I certainly felt that in my experience it was not simply a ‘pale Mealy’ and while I did not know for sure what it was, I felt it fit the ‘exilipes Arctic box’ much better. I said the same to Nick Barlow (site manager at Marsh Lane) a couple of hours later. I think the bird is probably a 1st winter based on the tail feathers shape, wear/ pattern on the small tertials, and possibly some moult contrast in the greater coverts (though I am not totally convinced of the latter) and some pink in the cheeks. I definitely think there were two birds (the second, a fairly ‘normal’ Mealy Redpoll) due to a number of clearly observable differences in the photos taken on 27th Dec and all other photos of the ‘target bird’. It is also conceivable that some of the Lesser Redpolls may be of Scandinavian origin.

The issues I have with the Marsh Lane Redpoll are as follows:

1) The ‘rump patch’ (which really includes the lower back and small uppertail coverts) can be described, based on field views as an overall fairly extensive white patch (more so than some normal Arctic Redpolls). Often through binoculars at reasonable range it looks pretty much plain white. In flight it is quite striking and again extensive looking. At closer range the dark bases to some of the rump feathers are visible producing a vaguely grey streaked effect. The lower section of the rump/ upper small uppertail coverts has a tawny wash. My experience and understanding is that this pattern is within normal range for Arctic Redpoll (including the pattern of streaking) for female/ immature birds, The presence of greyish streaking ‘showing though’ the white rump area on some Arctic Redpolls is normal and has been well documented for some time e.g. “Many but not all adult female and immature exilipes have lightly streaked rumps” (from ID of Arctic Redpoll. BB. Vol. 84, No.2) and from BWP: 37% of 1st winter males examined and 49% of first winter females have rumps with 1-2 cm of “white with dusky streaking”. This is usually most apparent in the hand, but with the particularly close views and the quality of photos which can now be obtained of birds like this; enables such be seen in the field and recorded. So I would call the rump area of this bird overall an ‘Arctic Redpoll-like rump’ Conversely I haven’t seen a Mealy Redpoll with a rump like it apart from adult males, which are also aged and sexed by obvious reddish tones over the rump and breast; nor have I encountered any data that suggest that Mealy Redpoll in non-adult male plumage could have such a rump pattern. I have heard lots of anecdotal evidence about people seeing ‘pale Mealies’ with a rump pattern like this but as yet this is not backed up by convincing photographic evidence or data showing such birds exist. That is not to say they don’t of course, but real hard data would be good. The photos of the bird’s rump on the Internet are variously both over exposed/ under saturated and under-exposed/ over saturated, bringing some confusion especially for those commenting on the photos that have not seen the bird.

I will post some photos showing the bird’s rump. There are plenty of Arctic Redpoll rumps illustrated on the Internet, compare the Marsh lane bird, for example with this one:

http://www.pbase.com/upupa/image/65586144

and here:

http://www.praktejder.se/images/0411...1MN-041106.htm (scroll to bottom)

One specific feature in relation to the overall ‘rump pattern’, which has not been discussed, is the small uppertail coverts. Most Redpolls show a set of long rather dark brown feathers with thin pale fringes immediately adjacent to the tail. These are the 'long' uppertail coverts. Then there are a number of small uppertail coverts (which I find it hard to know where they end and the rump feathers begin). There are some general differences (maybe not diagnostic but perhaps indicative) between most flammea and exilipes in the colour and pattern of the first row of small uppertail coverts next to the long dark uppertail coverts.

In flammea the pattern is of buff feathers with a generally large dark feather centres. This makes the region of small uppertail coverts look clearly rather dark with obvious buff/ brown fringes and blackish feather centres.

In exilipes the first row of feathers is white, with more limited blackish feather centres (thus making the white rump area appear 'larger').

The Marsh lane bird has first row of feathers white with limited blackish centre, than next row of feathers more buff tinged, but lacking the stronger brown and buff effect with larger dark centres usually found on flammea.

2) The undertail covert pattern is seemingly within the normal range of variation for Arctic Redpoll albeit at the more strongly marked end. It may also be within range of pattern for non-adult male Mealy Redpoll. I don’t know. Adult male Mealies can vary from well marked to unmarked undertail coverts. The COMBINATION, however of rump and undertail coverts is, I would argue is of Arctic, rather than Mealy type combination. Again, it would be interesting to see hard data, which demonstrates that Mealy Redpoll in non-adult male plumage can show such a rump pattern/ undertail covert combination.

3) The flank streaking is quite extensive and dark, though I think within the range of variation for exilipes Arctic Redpoll. A minor observation is that in the field was that the streaks (overall) tended to appear as rather isolated, thickish ‘wisps’ and apart from the upper breast sides (tawny washed), on a relatively white background. While variable, typically on Mealy Redpoll the flanks streaking is more joined together in longer ‘cat’s claw’ streaks with a black feather centre on dark brown background. Again Mealy may appear like this but overall I felt the flank pattern was reminiscent for an Arctic type, albeit at the heavily streaked end.

4) The bill is undoubtedly at the larger end of the scale, though also quite deep-based and is not the somewhat caricatured tiny ‘pushed in’ bill of many Arctic redpolls. That some Arctic Redpolls do have larger bills very similar to this bird is also not in doubt as can be seen in photos of bird taken in Scandinavia (see also BB Vol 84 plate 40). Also check out the variation and especially the last bird on this page as others have indicated:

http://web.telia.com/~u15702529/falt...nas_nabbar.htm

and the second bird down on this page

http://www.tarsiger.com/gallery/inde...iva+DESC&sel=2

5) The scapulars in the field are of a tawny/ sandy tone, at the pale end of the range for many Mealies, and I would say within normal range of many Arctic Redpolls. The colour of the upperparts of the Marsh Lane bird as represented in a number of the photos on the Internet is too monochrome/ grey/white…though they are amazing photos!

6) The wing bars are generally very white looking, though with slight tawny wash on outer greater coverts. I think notably the white tips of the median coverts are particularly broad and clean white, perhaps more Arctic-like than Mealy like in width and whiteness, though the point is probably debatable.

7) Icelandic Redpolls. The bird could be an Icelandic Redpoll. For that matter almost any white-rumped, streakier Redpoll seen in Britain could be promoted as a pale Icelandic Redpoll. However I do have reservations about this argument:

a) I don’t think the bird was ‘long-bodied enough’ for typical North Western Redpoll, though some pale Icelandic Redpolls are arguably smaller.
b) The streaking was too ‘wispy’ lacking the more typical 3 lines of ‘cat’s claw’ streaking of (even most pale) North Western Redpoll
c) My main reservation is that there is no evidence of the normal plumage types of e.g. rostrata reaching well inland in England. The vast majority of NW Redpolls reaching the Northern Isles do not look like this bird. Many are also particularly large and would be noticeable in the field and in the ringer’s bag. None have been recorded inland ever in England as far as I know. Further the plumage of the Marsh Lane bird seems exceptional even for some pale Icelandic Redpolls according to both Icelandic and Shetland observers. I think I would rather work with the more likely scenario, that this is a bird lies in the ‘problem zone’ between Mealy and Arctic. There have been 2 other claims of Arctic Redpoll from late autumn in England, both apparently photographed: at Berwick-on-Tweed, Northumberland on 15th November and at Langham, Norfolk on 18th November (the latter with Lesser Redpolls only).

In summary I sympathise with the ‘pale Mealy’ view because of the streakiness and particularly rather large looking bill and sometimes I do feel like throwing in the towel and just calling it a pale Mealy! However I am unable to demonstrate that Mealy Redpolls in 1st winter plumage can show the rump pattern like this bird in combination with this undertail covert pattern. A number of other features of the bird including its bulkiness, upperparts tone, width and whiteness of wing bars and (to a limited extent) flank streaking have, for me, an ‘Arctic Redpoll- like’ aspect to them. Like most other commentators I don’t like the bill for Arctic. If the bill was small and ‘pushed in, would it not be just passed off fine as an Arctic?

I think I can demonstrate that all of the features which my be construed as extreme can nevertheless be found on examples of Arctic Redpoll, including the bill, flank streaking, rump pattern and undertail coverts. The unanswered question for me is whether they can all be found in one individual, such as this one!

Still learning ‘bout Redpolls!

Martin

P.S. will try (with Jane Turner's help!) and post some photos showing the rump, which I feel portray reasonably accurately its appearance in the field.

Fascinating read Martin - you certainly highlight essential considerations and just as there appear to be reasons why it is likely not to be exilipes, there appear to be perhaps stronger reasons why it is unlikely to be flammea.

In summary I sympathise with the ‘pale Mealy’ view because of the streakiness and particularly rather large looking bill and sometimes I do feel like throwing in the towel and just calling it a pale Mealy! However I am unable to demonstrate that Mealy Redpolls in 1st winter plumage can show the rump pattern like this bird in combination with this undertail covert pattern. A number of other features of the bird including its bulkiness, upperparts tone, width and whiteness of wing bars and (to a limited extent) flank streaking have, for me, an ‘Arctic Redpoll- like’ aspect to them. Like most other commentators I don’t like the bill for Arctic. If the bill was small and ‘pushed in, would it not be just passed off fine as an Arctic?

thanks for your thoughts martin i went to see this bird on 31 dec and alot of your views is what i have said myself, after alot of investigating i have found alot of arctics which look like this bird but not any mealies that are as pale as this?
another photo of the marsh lane

Attachments

• DSC_01379568_filtered_filtered.jpg
    DSC_01379568_filtered_filtered.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_01699600_filtered_filtered.jpg
    DSC_01699600_filtered_filtered.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 64
Pheeeeew, is this thread still going!! Think I'm just giving up Redpolls and stick to something a bit simpler.........like Scottish Crossbill.;)

John.

I've been asked to post this on behalf of Martin Garner

Some thoughts on the Marsh Lane ‘Arctic –like’ Redpoll.

My understanding has been informed, partly by finding an apparent Arctic Redpoll in South Yorkshire a couple of years ago, which caused quite a few headaches, of the same nature as the Marsh Lane bird is causing, and it lead to much investigating and carefully examination of many Redpolls (including over 100 Mealy Redpolls) in the UK over the next few months. I went to see the Marsh Lane bird on 2nd and 3rd January and came to the conclusion that the plumage and structure of this bird was outside of my understanding of the range for Mealy Redpoll. I was particularly interested to test the idea that had already been promoted that the bird might be an Icelandic Redpoll. By seeing the bird in the field, especially in regard to its size, I feel that such a claim, while entirely understandable may be something of a distraction (although others will no doubt disagree!). I conveyed to Chris Batty at RBA on the 3rd that I certainly felt that in my experience it was not simply a ‘pale Mealy’ and while I did not know for sure what it was, I felt it fit the ‘exilipes Arctic box’ much better. I said the same to Nick Barlow (site manager at Marsh Lane) a couple of hours later. I think the bird is probably a 1st winter based on the tail feathers shape, wear/ pattern on the small tertials, and possibly some moult contrast in the greater coverts (though I am not totally convinced of the latter) and some pink in the cheeks. I definitely think there were two birds (the second, a fairly ‘normal’ Mealy Redpoll) due to a number of clearly observable differences in the photos taken on 27th Dec and all other photos of the ‘target bird’.

The issues I have with the Marsh Lane Redpoll are as follows:

1) The ‘rump patch’ (which really includes the lower back and small uppertail coverts) can be described, based on field views as an overall fairly extensive white patch (more so than some normal Arctic Redpolls). Often through binoculars at reasonable range it looks pretty much plain white. In flight it is quite striking and again extensive looking. At closer range the dark bases to some of the rump feathers are visible producing a vaguely grey streaked effect. The lower section of the rump/ upper small uppertail coverts has a tawny wash. My experience and understanding is that this pattern is within normal range for Arctic Redpoll (including the pattern of streaking) for female/ immature birds, The presence of greyish streaking ‘showing though’ the white rump area on some Arctic Redpolls is normal and has been well documented for some time e.g. “Many but not all adult female and immature exilipes have lightly streaked rumps” (from ID of Arctic Redpoll. BB. Vol. 84, No.2) and from BWP: 37% of 1st winter males examined and 49% of first winter females have rumps with 1-2 cm of “white with dusky streaking”. This is usually most apparent in the hand, but with the particularly close views and the quality of photos which can now be obtained of birds like this; enables such be seen in the field and recorded. So I would call the rump area of this bird overall an ‘Arctic Redpoll-like rump’ Conversely I haven’t seen a Mealy Redpoll with a rump like it apart from adult males, which are also aged and sexed by obvious reddish tones over the rump and breast; nor have I encountered any data that suggest that Mealy Redpoll in non-adult male plumage could have such a rump pattern. I have heard lots of anecdotal evidence about people seeing ‘pale Mealies’ with a rump pattern like this but as yet this is not backed up by convincing photographic evidence or data showing such birds exist. That is not to say they don’t of course, but real hard data would be good. The photos of the bird’s rump on the Internet are variously both over exposed/ under saturated and under-exposed/ over saturated, bringing some confusion especially for those commenting on the photos that have not seen the bird.

One specific feature in relation to the overall ‘rump pattern’, which has not been discussed, is the small uppertail coverts. Most Redpolls show a set of long rather dark brown feathers with thin pale fringes immediately adjacent to the tail. These are the 'long' uppertail coverts. Then there are a number of small uppertail coverts (which I find it hard to know where they end and the rump feathers begin). There are some general differences (maybe not diagnostic but perhaps indicative) between most flammea and exilipes in the colour and pattern of the first row of small uppertail coverts next to the long dark uppertail coverts.

In flammea the pattern is of buff feathers with a generally large dark feathers centres. This makes the region of small uppertail coverts look clearly rather dark with obvious buff/ brown fringes and blackish feather centres.

In exilipes the first row of feathers is white, with more limited blackish feather centres (thus making the white rump area appear 'larger').

The Marsh lane bird has first row of feathers white with limited blackish centre, than next row of feathers more buff tinged, but lacking the stronger brown and buff effect with large dark centres usually found on flammea.

Links to photographs of Artic Redpoll photos showing rump patterns:bird 1, bird 2 another.

2) The undertail covert pattern is seemingly within the normal range of variation for Arctic Redpoll albeit at the more strongly marked end. It may also be within range of pattern for non-adult male Mealy Redpoll. I don’t know. Adult male Mealies can vary from well marked to unmarked undertail coverts. The COMBINATION, however of rump and undertail coverts is, I would argue is of Arctic, rather than Mealy type combination. Again, it would be interesting to see hard data, which demonstrates that Mealy Redpoll in non-adult male plumage can show such a rump pattern/ undertail covert combination.

3) The flank streaking is quite extensive and dark, though I think within the range of variation for exilipes Arctic Redpoll. A minor observation is that in the field was that the streaks (overall) tended to appear as rather isolated, thickish ‘wisps’ and apart from the upper breast sides (tawny washed), on a relatively white background. While variable, typically on Mealy Redpoll the flanks streaking is more joined together in longer ‘cat’s claw’ streaks with a black feather centre on dark brown background. Again Mealy may appear like this but overall I felt the flank pattern was reminiscent for an Arctic type, albeit at the heavily streaked end.

4) The bill is undoubtedly at the larger end of the scale, though also quite deep-based and is not the somewhat caricatured tiny ‘pushed in’ bill of many Arctic redpolls. That some Arctic Redpoll do have larger bills very similar to this bird is also not in doubt as can be seen in photos of bird taken in Scandinavia (Websites mentioned by Jan J and others see also BB Vol 84 plate 40).

5) The scapulars in the field are of a tawny/ sandy tone, at the pale end of the range for many Mealies, and I would say within normal range of many Arctic Redpolls. The colour of the upperparts of the Marsh Lane bird as represented in a number of the photos on the Internet is too monochrome/ grey/white…though they are amazing photos!

6) The wing bars are generally very white looking, though with slight tawny wash on outer greater coverts. I think notably the white tips of the median coverts are particularly broad and clean white, perhaps more Arctic-like than Mealy like in width and whiteness, though the point is probably debatable.

7) Icelandic Redpolls. My reservations about it being an Iceland Redpoll are:

a) I don’t think the bird was ‘long-bodied enough’ for typical North Western Redpoll
b) The streaking was too ‘wispy’ lacking the more typical 3 lines of ‘cat’s claw’ streaking of (even most pale) North Western Redpoll
c) My main reservation is that there is no evidence of the normal plumage types of e.g. rostrata reaching well inland in England, and the plumage of this bird seems exceptional even for some pale Icelandic Redpolls according to both Icelandic and Shetland observers.

In summary while I sympathise with the ‘pale Mealy’ view because of the streakiness and particularly rather large looking bill. Sometimes I feel like throwing in the towel and just calling it a pale Mealy! However I am unable to demonstrate that Mealy Redpolls in 1st winter plumage can show the rump pattern like this bird in combination with this undertail covert pattern. A number of other features of the bird including its bulkiness, upperparts tone, width and whiteness of wing bars and (to a limited extent) flank streaking have, for me, an ‘Arctic Redpoll- like’ aspect to them. Like most other commentators I don’t like the bill for Arctic. If the bill was small and ‘pushed in, would it not just be passed off fine as an Arctic?

Conversely I think I can demonstrate that all of the features which my be construed as extreme, can nevertheless be found on examples of Arctic Redpoll, including the bill, flank streaking, rump pattern and undertail coverts. The unanswered question for me is whether they can all be found in one individual, such as this one!

Attachments: 4 more photos of Marsh Lane bid, taken by Martin, and a composite showing the rump in comparison to two known Arctics.

Attachments

• Marsh Lane 1.jpeg
    Marsh Lane 1.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 76
  • marsh Lane 2.jpeg
    marsh Lane 2.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 73
  • marsh lane 3.jpeg
    marsh lane 3.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 74
  • marsh lane 4.jpeg
    marsh lane 4.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 84
  • marh lane 5.JPG
    marh lane 5.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
I am surprised your thoughts have not provoked more discussion, expected to come home to read counter-views.

Perhaps this illustrates that your views are extremely sound Martin!

Arctic Redpoll (exilipes) it probably is!

I am surprised your thoughts have not provoked more discussion, expected to come home to read counter-views.

Perhaps this illustrates that your views are extremely sound Martin!

Arctic Redpoll (exilipes) it probably is!

I don't think it is as black and white as that! In conclusion, the question was, can all the "within the variation" plumage/structure features be expected in one Arctic Redpoll. Or, if you flip the coin over, could these pro-Arctic feature be found on a Mealy Redpoll. I (and I'm sure others) still believe this bird may be best left unidentified.

Last edited:
I don't think it is as black and white as that! In conclussion, the question was, can all the "within the variation" plumage/structure features be expected in one Arctic Redpoll. Or, if you flip the coin over, could these pro-Arctic feature be found on a Mealy Redpoll. I (and I'm sure others) still believe this bird may be best left unidentified.

I accept that Mark, just trying to re-ignite this thread altho i accept many will think it has come to its inconclusive conclusion.:gn:

PS Cheers for the alternative info Tim.:t:

Well if those rumps ARe arctics, then this bird probably is too.

Martin you are an extremely thorough, experienced and well-respected birder. As such, I am not qualified to counter your comprehensive arguments for the case or Arctic.

Might I just respectfully request, like Tim A, that the Surfbirds forum is worth a look (I know MG has contributed too).

In my humble opinon, this bird IS a mealy. The comparitive photos swung it for me, proving that all photos of the bird that appear to show the bird as a grey and white creature wth white rump are misrepresenting the bird itself.

I was originally in the Arctic camp too.

I don't think Arctic is a good species anyway, and I also don't think this bird is a clear-cut enough individual.

Now, onto the gull thread for the Dix pit Thayer's type....

Sean

GV - seems like you have one foot firmly in each of the following camps!

The bird is probably an Arctic - I think it is a Mealy - I don't think it is identifiable.

The contradictory statement of the the thread? ;)

GV - seems like you have one foot firmly in each of the following camps!

The bird is probably an Arctic - I think it is a Mealy - I don't think it is identifiable.

The contradictory statement of the the thread? ;)

Hi Mark,

Sorry, not contradicting myself, just explaining myself badly. To clarify:

1. If the photos of Arctics rumps in Martin's post Are definite Arctic, then this bird is too. But I'm not sure where they came from or who identified them.

2.I think it is a Mealy now - though originally thought it was Arctic. There are two photos of the bird on the Surfbird thread which prove that all the photos showing the bird white and grey with a white rump do not represent the true appearance of the bird. Given the actual appearance of the bird I think it is Mealy now.

3. By "not a clear-cut enough individual" I meant not clear cut enough to be an Arctic.

But the caveat for me is, although I believe it to be a Mealy, those photos of Martins (the like of which I've never seen within the range of Arctic) maybe prove otherwise - but that amount of streaking on the rump of an Arctic is new to me and pushes the boundaries of the species.

In fact, they push the boundaries so far as to almost PROVE that Redpoll is one big clinal species, just like Chiffchaff! QED??

Sean

In fact, they push the boundaries so far as to almost PROVE that Redpoll is one big clinal species, just like Chiffchaff! QED??

Well, no. In fact, the taxonomic situation is extremely complex and fascinating.

For starters, flammea and exillipes are not "clinal", as they breed sympatrically throughout much of their range. The zone of sympatry varies in line with periodic northward eruptions by flammea - sometimes they are wholly sympatric during the breeding season.

Basic logic tells us that if two apparently stable forms breed sympatrically throughout their range, they must be good BSC species. However, the situation is a bit more complex than that...

There is virtually no mtDNA divergence between flammea and exillipes - see this paper by Seutin et al.

The authors suggest that the lack of difference in DNA means either that the two forms diverged very recently, or they are not fully reproductively isolated, such that some hybridisation is occurring.

Various studies have analysed differences in morphology, aiming to determine whether the two forms are fully diagnosable using in-hand biometrics, plumage and skeletal differences. Some were successful, e.g. this one and this one, others less so, e.g. this one.

Most of the detailed studies found that a proportion of individuals are intermediate in morpholgy (including skeletal structure), and this has prompted some authors to suggest that they should be lumped, e.g. Troy (1985).

However, the fact that they breed sympatrically across huge parts of the range, and yet remain apparently stable (i.e. they do not degenerate into a massive hybrid swarm) suggests this would be unwise.

This is a fascinating and possibly unique situation. We know that stable hybrid zones can exist in the contact zone between two recently diverged species (e.g. hooded and carrion crow), but these tend to be in small, temporally static areas. In the redpolls, the zone of potential hybridisation is huge, and varies from year to year. If hybridisation can occur, why has it not swamped the variation between the taxa across the whole of the range?

Presumably there must be some level of reproductive isolation. This could be through different vocalisations, as in the crossbills, or through differences in breeding phenology (timing, habitat etc.). Apparently Arctic Redpolls breed earlier than sympatric Commons, and have different nest construction. There may also be consistent plumage or morphology differences that are percieved by the birds better than they are by us.

I suspect there is great potenial to learn more about the process of sympatric speciation using these Redpolls, as they present an amazing study system - abundant within range, easy to catch and apparently living in a biogeographical paradox... Anyone out there want to write a grant proposal?!

Last edited:
Fascinating stuff 'roy. For me, the basic problem is trying to figure out what out of range birds are. We can make educated guesses, but actually knowing the truth is a different matter. As has been said on the Bird ID frontiers website, it would be highly desirable to have a modern study done on the northern wintering grounds of exilipes when there are no flammea present. This is the only reliable way of sorting out the defining features and seeing the true extent of variation in exilipies. The only problem with this is that its bl**dy cold up there in winter!!

Oh, and sorting out what is going on in Iceland!

Another possible point is that as global warming takes hold, exilipies will presumably be pushed ever northwards and altitudinally upwards until the inevitable happens - the taiga spreads north and they get outcompeted by flammea. Maybe.

Hi 'roy,

Fascinating insight, and a shining example of the difference between a knowledgeable well reasearched posting and an off-the-cuff one.

You make some very valid points, and I agree that these types of species groups could teach us something about how to go about defining what is a species. Our eyes and certain types of DNA analysis are simply not sufficient for this kind of thing.

At risk of sounding like an Orchid bore, a similar situation exists within the British Butterfly orchids; there are two long-recognised species, they tend to occupy different ranges and (specific) habitat types. Occasionally they share sites.

In almost every case it is possible to identify the two species on a number of average characters, but there is only one consistent diagnostic one. This supposedly dictates each species' pollinator and prevents cross-fertilisation and therefore hybridisation.

Bizarrely, however, apparent hybrids (or more specifically intermediate plants) do occur where the two species occupy the same site. They are impossible to prove as hybrids, however, as there are no consistent genetic differences between the two species at all. Not a single one!

This tells me that they are either not good species or there is much more to them than we think. An ongoing comprehensive study is aking place and the results will be a lesson to all taxonomists I suspect.

When the paper is produced I'll put a link on for those interested in the wider subject of taxonomy - it applies to all forms of life!

Sean

Hi Mark,

Sorry, not contradicting myself, just explaining myself badly. To clarify:

1. If the photos of Arctics rumps in Martin's post Are definite Arctic, then this bird is too. But I'm not sure where they came from or who identified them.

2.I think it is a Mealy now - though originally thought it was Arctic. There are two photos of the bird on the Surfbird thread which prove that all the photos showing the bird white and grey with a white rump do not represent the true appearance of the bird. Given the actual appearance of the bird I think it is Mealy now.

3. By "not a clear-cut enough individual" I meant not clear cut enough to be an Arctic.

But the caveat for me is, although I believe it to be a Mealy, those photos of Martins (the like of which I've never seen within the range of Arctic) maybe prove otherwise - but that amount of streaking on the rump of an Arctic is new to me and pushes the boundaries of the species.

Sean

You mention Chiffchaff, what is the chance of the subject redpoll being some sort of intergrade sub-species , in the same way that "fulvescens" western range sibe chiffchaff is "suspected" of lying somewhere between "Abietinus" and true Sibe "tristis"?

Some more pics of the Marsh Lane Redpoll taken yesterday.Don't know if they help at all with the ID.Some of the birders watching it yesterday were of the opinion it was an Arctic. Wishfull thinking?

Max.

Attachments

• IMG_7474 (Large).jpg
    IMG_7474 (Large).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_7543 (Large).JPG
    IMG_7543 (Large).JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_7544 (Large).jpg
    IMG_7544 (Large).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 156
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back