• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrowhawk (1 Viewer)

mw_aurora said:
No..I wrote the words for a laugh...

So why is it so obviously a Hobby to your eyes?

Cheers Mark.

Its surely got to be juvenile peregrine. Breast streaking is too thin for hobby and there is a reddish tinge to the breast.

jonny h said:
mark, that is a hobby sat in a little decidous tree , probably hopped out of an old crows nest about 2 weeks ago as its a classic juv, its small and dainty, almost skinny! london birder right ya lookin too hard ! as for the big falcon well, i seen a white gyr once thank god coz the rest are too hard!!

The tree is coniferous (which doesn't proove much apart from the fact it makes me wary of your judgement) and juv hobbys have brown wash to their breast,

Last edited:
the tree is coniferous ya are right - i must spend too much time birdin! however hobby do not have a wash like ya collins guide shows. it just feels like a hobby. i seen em sat just like that at the nest. ya seen peg like that really?

jonny h said:
mark, that is a hobby sat in a little decidous tree , probably hopped out of an old crows nest about 2 weeks ago as its a classic juv, its small and dainty, almost skinny! london birder right ya lookin too hard !

It looks like a Coniferous tree to me not deciduous (but I think I know what you meant ;) ) and I am not sure why you are assuming the tree is small. Because of this I can not tell how big the bird is, only that it looks 'skinny'.
My first reaction was Hobby, but looking at the plumage details of the visible bird, the face pattern and breast did not 'ring true' to me, hence my previous comments and thoughts that it is Peg.

Cheers Mark.

ok we all agree that Janes bird is a hybrid of some sort .... unless someone would like to claim it's a forest Falconet, which to be honest, wouldn't surprise me

the big falcon is pretty much un i.d-able(is that a word!?) they are beyond me does anyone know better?. the other one is just a hobby.

i cant see where peregrine comes from - in 20 years birdin i seen plenty of both and its a hobby at the nest.

this chat is very informative but think we try to hard rather than relying on gut instinct and most folk thought hobby

London Birder said:
I'm fairly sure jonny meant coniferous ......

It's a Pupp.............Hobby !

London Birder, I am genuinely interested to know why you think it is a Hobby.

Cheers Mark.

well, I could say to you that the bird is lightweight as opposed to being a powerfully built Peregrine but then you could argue that you think it's powerfully built .... that's subjectivity for ya ... furthermore, I can see the small white mark above the eye (albeit not very well but I can make it out), the bill isn't particularly heavy, it's merely in proportion with the rest of the bird ... the moustachial streak is well in line with Hobby, Peregrines can almost look hooded as a consequence of a very full moustachial streak running back into dark upper cheeks and the rear of the head, also, the small white intrusion to the rear of the eye (typically Hobby) .... the breast streaking is totally fine for Hobby, nice and fine at the top and becoming bolder and heavier as it progresses down toward the breast etc ... as for the slight ruuset tones hear n there, again not problem for Hobby, particularly if it's a sub-adult (which I suspect) .... habitat is also a pointer (though nothing more I agree) ie coniferous .... and to add I have been working with and observing Peregrines intimately on a near-daily basis for 3 years, and see many Hobbys during the course of the year ... visited a nice nest-site this year (at a respectful range of course) ... but more than anything else it's 'Gizz' screams Hobby ... however, I'm not particularly out to convince anyone what it is, that's for you to decide in your own way...the same way I have

Last edited:
LB, Thanks for your thoughts on the detail. I guess we will continue to disagree. BTW, I was not questioning your experience, just interested to understand why you had such a different opinion to me.

Cheers Mark.

jonny h said:
fairly summed up beside the fact it just looks like a hobby. why wud it be peregrine in that case?

The bird shows features that could fit both species (as described by LB above), but my feeling is that most fit better with Peregrine (as stated in my posts before). I agree that the structure looks too 'skinny' but there are plenty of photos of Peg and other large falcons that show them looking 'skinny'. A still image does not always show the full 'Gizz' we birders often use (they lack the movement), as I think is clearly demonstrated by the origins of this thread.

Last edited:
ok Mark, like you say we'll have to disagree

Maybe the pic should be posted for another thread, see what others opinions are as it's a bit buried in this thread ..... on 2nd thoughts .......

i am a new forum member- have i overstepped some ettiquette here as i seem to be being shunned? enjoyed the views and debate anyway !

jonny h said:
LB may be right - i think a fresh start for the debate. the thread started well mark did ya get kestrel?

I am happy to carry on the debate on a new thread, quite enjoying it :D and it will be good to see other's opinions on what should be an easy id...maybe it will look different after some sleep.

Cheers Mark.

mw_aurora said:
I am happy to carry on the debate on a new thread, quite enjoying it :D and it will be good to see other's opinions on what should be an easy id...maybe it will look different after some sleep.

Cheers Mark.

ahh sleep - good plan ! wot a fun HOBBY.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back