• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

not seen any yet keith but with the bonkers forecast for tomorrow anything is possible.

big flocks of wigeon around plus marsh harrier and a few teal a very very pale buzzard hanging around as well.

Flamborough

Pleasant day at Flamborough area yesterday... at the Sth Landing 5 Redshank in with a dozen or so Turnstones feeding in the seaweed.. with some Meadow Pipit picking out whatever from the same....
.................. then to finish off, from the Lighthouse CP, cracking views for about half an hour of a very pale Barn Owl quartering the rough pasture. The Missus was pleased, she saw it first.. and then a doe Roe came out to feed.
An altogether gorgeous Autumn day at the seaside........
Joe

Attachments

• P1020103.JPG
    P1020103.JPG
    597.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Ldv

Good numbers of Fieldfare, 30+whoopers loads of dragonflys (think its a red veined darter?) 500+ crows 250+woodpigeon Starlings building up in big numbers.Also had nice Peregrine, Skylark and my first Redwings of the winter.

More on me blog! http://zingsldv.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• w1b.jpg
    w1b.jpg
    729.7 KB · Views: 41
  • rvd1b.jpg
    rvd1b.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 59
Good numbers of Fieldfare, 30+whoopers loads of dragonflys (think its a red veined darter?) 500+ crows 250+woodpigeon Starlings building up in big numbers.Also had nice Peregrine, Skylark and my first Redwings of the winter.

Unlikely to be Red-veined Darter - they are pretty scarce in Yorks. Common Darter most likely at this time although Ruddy Darter also a possibility. They all look pretty similar.

Saw some pics of the Blacktoft WRS and it's the same bird seen at Gib on the 14th of October (probably the same seen briefly on the Lincs coast on the 10th as well) that then turned up at Frampton on the 1st of November, Gib on the 2nd then back to Frampton on the 4th. Incredible it's been around for a month and only seen on 5(6) days. What are the chances this would have gone down as a separate bird and where has it been inbetween sightings?

Serin

Any more gen on the Serin anyone - seen once; showing on and off; etc.

Thanks
With a flock of Goldfinch and seen several times[photographed] when they fly into the hedge, but can be out of site for long periods while feeding. The field is a wild bird crop so please try not to trample it down.

Phil

As James suggested it's a Common Darter.

Of the 3 red darters, Red-veined has brown eyes that are blue below, Ruddy has a 'waisted' thorax (i.e. pinched in) and a club-shaped tip and fwiw Common Darters have a later flight period

Users who are viewing this thread

Back