• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirm ID - Female Ladder-Backed Woodpecker? Round rock, TX, US (1 Viewer)

erisian.pope

very amateur
This picture was taken today. The bird appears to be entirely black and white, which i think fits the bill for female ladder-backed. It lacks the mustache that the red-cockaded is supposed to have (not to mention that one's rare and not native to my area I believe). No white patch in back (so not hairy or downy).

So, what do you think? As always, I greatly appreciate your help!

Attachments

• IMG_8630.JPG
    IMG_8630.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_8633.JPG
    IMG_8633.JPG
    249.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_8634.JPG
    IMG_8634.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_8635.JPG
    IMG_8635.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_8647.JPG
    IMG_8647.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 107
Here's a higher-res picture of the face, in case it helps. It appears I ended up with a pretty terribly compressed picture when I uploaded here.

Attachments

• IMG_8624.JPG
    IMG_8624.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 114
Like I said before not much else I think it could be.... the white on the face is a little much and has me stumped. The only two I'm thinking of is Ladder Backed and Red-cockaded but leaning towards Ladder-backed

Any one else wanna jump in?

woodpecker

This picture was taken today. The bird appears to be entirely black and white, which i think fits the bill for female ladder-backed. It lacks the mustache that the red-cockaded is supposed to have (not to mention that one's rare and not native to my area I believe). No white patch in back (so not hairy or downy).

So, what do you think? As always, I greatly appreciate your help!

I beleve it is a Female Ladder-Backed.

I think it is a Ladder-Backed female too. A Red-Cockaded is not likely to be found this far west into Central Texas, at least if Sibley's range maps are accurate. And it's head would show a large white cheek instead of a striped face. Lightness of face is probably due to photo's exposure.

Sibley's (the big book) notes that the Red-Cockaded is rare, local and endangered whereas the Ladder-Backed is fairy common.
Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back