• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kinver South Staffordshire, bird seen over the Staffs and Worcester Canal. (1 Viewer)

GillieB

About 5.45 tonight I saw a bird hovering over the canal, its wings were moving so fast I first thought of a humming bird but then realised they are not native to the UK. I think anyway.

It had a yellow back, and two long streamer like tails which were white. I couldn't see the front of the bird.

Its size was in between a robin and a blackbird, it all happened so quickly I couldn't take a picture, wish I had. I have looked in my bird book, no luck, gone onto RSPB bird identifier site, no luck, I am beginning to think I imagined it.

Sure it is a common sight for some, but I have lived on the canal now for 17 years and never seen a bird like this before.

Here is hoping somebody can identify it for me, so I can sleep tonight. Thanks

Well if two of you experts are saying Grey Wagtail then I must concede, though I was thinking that I had discovered a rare bird in the UK and would be making copious cups of tea and coffee tomorrow for all the 'watchers' who were visiting hoping for a viewing.... Oh well at least I can now sleep.

Though this has sparked my interest in looking more closely at the bird life around here of which we have plenty.

Thank you both for your time.

I don't have anything better to suggest, but am curious that you say the bird's back was yellow and couldn't see the front. GW is yellow at front but not back!

Thanks so much everyone, the pictures and particularly the video was really useful. Shame it was a wagtail really as that is what my husband said it probably was, and I had to concede he was right......

Will continue to watch and try and get pictures next time.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back