• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extremadura, or....... (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi All,

Toying with the idea of going away somewhere for 4-5 days in 1st week of May, and was looking for some information & suggestions.

Favoured thoughts at the moment are probably Extremadura or maybe the southern Spain/Portugal border area, but any alternative suggestions would be welcome.

Assuming that we stick to plan A (Extremadura) any useful info as rgds locations, literature, accommodation, travel etc would be very handy.

Rgds.... Ruby

You will have a fabulous time if you go to Extremadura. I recall that there a few other threads on here. My fave place is La Serena. I'll have to go searching for where I stayed. The sound of all those Calandra Larks singing their hearts out would be amazing!

Hi Ray,

We went to Extramdura a few years ago - it is a superb place with a fantastic variety of bird life. I have no doubt you would enjoy it.

[size=-1]Parque Natural de Monfragüe is the other place I would say is a must - spectacular scenery and vultures galore.
[/size]

You won't be disappointed with Extremadura.
Fly in to Madrid -it's easy to pick up a hire car, get on the ring road & an easy 3 hour drive west along a fairly quiet motorway will bring you to Extremadura.

I would suggest staying in Torrejon El Rubio either at the Hotel Carvajal ( www.monfrague.net/ingles/hotel.html ) -clean, inexpensive, good Spanish country food, very pleasant owners & has a couple of small adjacent apartments to rent (though none of the staff speak English) or the more expensive Hospederia de Monfrague where some of the staff speak Ingles ( website down at present : www.hotelmonfrague.com ).

Torrejon as a base allows a 50 minute drive to access the Belen plains or the St. Marta de Magasca-Trujillo plains -both of which hold both Sandgrouse, both Bustards, Gt. Spotted Cuckoo, Rollers, Bee-eaters, Montagu Harrier, Calandra Larks, White Stork, overflying Vultures, etc. Whilst Monfrague NP is only 5 minutes away -5 Eagle sp, 3 Vulture sp, Eagle Owl, Black Stork, Golden Oriole, Orphean Warbler, Crested Tit, Black & Black eared Wheatear, Blue Rock Thrush, Rock Bunting, Rock Sparrow, Alpine & White-rumped Swift, etc, etc.
The reservoir & reedbeds of Almaraz are about an hours drive away -Savi's & Great Reed Warbler, Purple Heron, Little Bittern, Purple Swamp-hen, Egrets, Marsh Harriers, etc. The Jerte valley is also about a one hour drive away - Bluethroat, Rock Thrush, Bonelli's Warbler, Honey Buzzard & possibly Ortolan Bunting.

The big advantage of Torrejon is that you are so close to Monfrague & so can make the short drive from your hotel to Portilla del Tietar in Monfrague NP arriving in the early morning at dawn for a very good chance of spectacular views of Eagle Owls.
-It all brings back happy memories:

Attachments

• 1537Eagle-Owl-chick1.jpg
    1537Eagle-Owl-chick1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 160
  • Spanish-Imperial-Eagle-@-Ri.jpg
    [email protected]
    42 KB · Views: 158
  • 4381BLACK-BELLIED-_-PINTAIL.jpg
    4381BLACK-BELLIED-_-PINTAIL.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 4381LITTLE-BUSTARD-2JPEG.jpg
    4381LITTLE-BUSTARD-2JPEG.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 3-Vulture-sp-@-Belen-Plains.jpg
    [email protected]
    20.4 KB · Views: 153
Thanks Guys,

Sounds great and some good info there....

Any recommendations as rgds literature and maps??

Ruby

Ruby said:
Hi All,

Toying with the idea of going away somewhere for 4-5 days in 1st week of May, and was looking for some information & suggestions.

Favoured thoughts at the moment are probably Extremadura or maybe the southern Spain/Portugal border area, but any alternative suggestions would be welcome.

Assuming that we stick to plan A (Extremadura) any useful info as rgds locations, literature, accommodation, travel etc would be very handy.

Rgds.... Ruby

Hi Ruby,
If you haven't been to Extramadura before, go, it's one of those areas every birder should visit at least once in their lifetime. Apart from the sheer number and variety of birds, and other wildlife, the scenery is spectacular.

If you're going for only 4-5 days I should confine yourself to the areas between the Trujillo - Caceres - Plasencia triangle, this holds most of the areas species and will cut down on the travelling leaving more time for birding.

Regarding maps Michelin 444 seems as good as any, covering Madrid, Castilla-la Mancha and Extremadura.

Literature - loads of trip reports to be found on the net and a copy of the classic guide of the area - "A Birdwatching Guide to Extremadura" by John Muddeman (ISBN 1 900159 31 7) should give you all the sites you need and detailed info on them.

An alternative to flying from Madrid Airport is Seville, it's about the same driving time, worth a look as flight times etc. might be more suitable.

Either way go, you'll have a great time. PM me if I can help with any more info.

Regards

John

Thanks John,

I'll get hold of the map next time I'm in London.... John Muddeman's book is proving a bit more tricky at this stage....

Ruby said:
Thanks John,

I'll get hold of the map next time I'm in London.... John Muddeman's book is proving a bit more tricky at this stage....

Hi Ruby

I too am going to Extramadura about the same time. I had difficulty getting a copy of John Muddemans book. If you check out the below thread this should help.
www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=76640

I got my copy from there a few weeks ago. No other suppliers in the UK had this book.

Best of luck Dave

Hello Ruby,
Extremadura is, as everyone has said, an absolutely superb birding destination I'm certain you will have a great time. If you drive from Madrid keep your eyes peeled, last time we went we had Black-shouldered (or is it winged?) Kite both going and coming back! we usually stay in Torrejon el Rubio at the Pension Monfague, it's owned by the same people who own the Restaurant Monfrague, you can't miss it, it's got a huge painting of a Griffon Vulture on the building! Last time we paid 25 euros a night for a basic, but clean and adequate, twin room.
HTH

Nick

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help and interest - this is all proving a bit more tricky than I thought...

As rgds the Muddeman book - it is out of print and seems to be sold out everywhere (inc the place that Dave Tanner kindly put me on to) but I have a couple of irons in the fire with this, so will wait and see what develops.

As rgds accommodation, our first choice would have been El Recuerdo, but they are full for the dates in question.

Sent an e-mail to the hotel Carvajal yesterday, but no reply.....

Another choice would be the Pension Monfrague at Torrejon el Rubio which looks to be ideally located, and I found their (Spanish!) website but the only way of contacting them seems to be on the telephone which is a bit daunting for someone who's Spanish never really got beyond the 'Dos cervezas por favor.' stage!!

This place is mentioned in quite a few trip reports, so is obviously quite popular with birders, so has anyone managed to get in touch with them to check availability and make a booking? Can't say that I much fancy the prospect of just turning up on-spec and hoping for the best....

Any other accommodation recommendations for places that are well sited, clean, good value etc??

Rgds... Ruby

Last edited:
Hi Ruby,

I had a most enjoyable trip to Extremadura in the second week of May last year. We used a very useful trip report by Ben Miller as the basis for our trip, including our initial accomodation at Finca Santa Marta, south of Trujillo. An excellent place, well used to catering for birders - John Muddeman was actually staying there with a tour group at the time! They have a website which I can't track down just now but would probably turn-up through Google.

Cheers,

Stuart

StuartReeves said:
Finca Santa Marta, south of Trujillo. An excellent place, well used to catering for birders
I can thoroughly recommend the Finca Santa Marta http://www.fincasantamarta.com/ We stayed there on our trip to Extremadura. The owner is Dutch and speaks perfect English.

With Azure-winged Magpie, Short-toed Treecreeper, Hoopoe and White Stork on site (plus we had a Scops Owl while we were there) the pre-breakfast stroll round the grounds is a delight.

Ruby Extremadura is the place to go as above!!

Now for help with sites contact John Butler and Jules Sykes both will give you all the gen you will need!!

pm John or Jules on here

websites are

www.donanabirdtours.com/cgi-bin/web.asp?PageID=48

www.olivaramatours.com/Oliva Rama Holiday/Extremadura May Itin.htm

I'm not suggesting you go on one of their tours...not sure if there would be any room but both will give you the gen you need when you ask.

Not just brilliant guides they are both lovely fellas!!
(and members of Bird Forum....so easy to pm....or contact by e-mail)

Ruby said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help and interest - this is all proving a bit more tricky than I thought...

As rgds the Muddeman book - it is out of print and seems to be sold out everywhere (inc the place that Dave Tanner kindly put me on to) but I have a couple of irons in the fire with this, so will wait and see what develops.

As rgds accommodation, our first choice would have been El Recuerdo, but they are full for the dates in question.

Sent an e-mail to the hotel Carvajal yesterday, but no reply.....

Another choice would be the Pension Monfrague at Torrejon el Rubio which looks to be ideally located, and I found their (Spanish!) website but the only way of contacting them seems to be on the telephone which is a bit daunting for someone who's Spanish never really got beyond the 'Dos cervezas por favor.' stage!!

This place is mentioned in quite a few trip reports, so is obviously quite popular with birders, so has anyone managed to get in touch with them to check availability and make a booking? Can't say that I much fancy the prospect of just turning up on-spec and hoping for the best....

Any other accommodation recommendations for places that are well sited, clean, good value etc??

Rgds... Ruby
When I was last there (2+ years ago) the owners of the Carvajal didn't speak any english. I gather that they send english emails to the local 'tourist agency' ( www.alextur.net/ ) for translation & reply -this can sometimes take a day or two.
The Carvajal apartments are cheap, comfortable & perfect for birders who can come & go as they please. It is very handy for Monfrague & is only a short drive away from Monroy which holds Black-shouldered Kites whilst also being only a 45 min drive from the plains of Belen/Trujilio/Caceres.

As Ruby well knows, I'd tell him to go to southern Spain rather than Extremadura! However, if you insist, and in the absence of Muddeman's book, you might like to try "The Nature Guide to Extremadura' (Crossbill Guides). It's not a bird finding guide as such since it deals with all manner of wildlife, but mentions various routes and sites. It also has a good general introduction to the area. The Dutch English can be a bit quirky, but that adds to the charm of the book. I ought, though, declare an interest as I've been working on another book with this outfit (and a very nice bunch of folks they are too!). You should also take a good look at "Travellers' Nature Guide: Spain" (Farino & Lockwood) - it may cover the whole of Spain, but it is a very good book. In the meantime, Ruby, as you've got my phone number I'd be happy to have a chat with you about the area! John

Hi All,

After moderate shenanigans, commitment has now been made!!

We are heading of to Extremadura, staying in the Finca Santa Marta for the first 3 nights (mainly because they were pretty-much the only accommodation that replied to my mails...) and playing it by ear for days 4 & 5.

Thanks very much for everyone's help - much appeciated....We're very much looking forward to it already!!

Rgds... Ruby

Besides the Muddeman book there is also Where To Watch Birds in Southern and western Spain by Garcia and Paterson if this hasn't been mentioned previously. It has 50 pages on Extremadura.

Alf King said:
Besides the Muddeman book there is also Where To Watch Birds in Southern and western Spain by Garcia and Paterson if this hasn't been mentioned previously. It has 50 pages on Extremadura.

Thanks Alf,

I've got hold of that one - quite good on Extremadura and probably useful for other sites in Spain for future trips.

The thing about the Muddeman book is that it seems to be pretty much 'the bible' when it comes to Extremadura, and many trip reports just contain shorthand references to locations from the book. But, as luck would have it, I think that we have managed to track down a copy that someone is prepared to lend us.

Jules Sykes (of Oliva Rama Tours and BF fame) kindly offered to post me his copy to use for my trip, but given that these things seem to be worth their weight in gold, I didn't trust myself to take him up on it.

Fantastic offer though, and just goes to show how helpful people are prepared to be to a fellow birder in need!!!

Rgds... Ruby

Ruby

I'm also off to Extramadura in late May. I have already got a copy of Muddeman (having bought it a few years ago) but I've also just bought a copy of Dave Gosney's "Finding Birds in Northern Spain". Whislt this covers a number of divers places it does have some good gen on Extremadura including maps and only costs £8 inc P&P from the Birdguides web site. In addition you will find information posted by other people on the site offering updates on the individual spots.

http://www.birdguides.com/html/fram...&right=books/updates/birdsinnorthernspain.htm

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back