• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (16 Viewers)

Not that I venture into Worcs that very often (or anywhere Saarrf of Birminnum), but I have to say I'm staggered that the Sabine's Gull roosted again at UW this evening. Didn't expect that at all, well done! :t:

I agree with John, a nice atmospheric shot, Emma! Well done!:t:

We know when to arrive, John!o:D Lucky that the Gull was in front of the hide and not at the back of beyond! Thrilled to bits seeing it this evening! Forgot to take my scope after a last minute decision to go to Upton but a kind gentleman offered his scope for us to see the Gull clearly. Our thanks to the gentleman concerned.:t: Didn't forget my pass though!;)
All the best for tomorrow, I shall look forward to reading the results!

Re Wryneck - cat nothing to do with Upton warren Gary. for those that don't know a cat killed a wryneck in an evesham garden Friday. Use worcester section for any comments.
john

permits /membership

At present Upton is extremely busy all day and everyday.
With this in mind and for other reasons (explained later) We are conducting a wardening scheme to check memberships and permits. For all members of the Worcestershire Wildlife trust please understand this is for your benefit.
A trial run on Friday carried out by myself revealed everyone was a member except for five people out of the 50 or so asked. Of these two were other trust members and three had purchased permits from the sailing centre.

In the event of a major rarity appearing this situation would be far different.
(due to the nature of its appearance at roosting times the Sab' Gull will not probably attract too much attention - although non members will be charged)
In that situation daily permits/admission fee would be implemented and a wardening team will be on site.

RATIONALE:
*The parking facility at the Sailing centre is by 'gentleman's agreement' and at present the relationship with their staff is excellent. By rights they can ask to see your membership card.
* The Wocestershire Trust have no idea what % of their membership visit Upton. Thus we will be able to let them know in time
*Anyone joining the trust does so because they care for wildlife. So if people are visiting without contributing.. why should they join?

BENEFIT
* If the Trust membership increases directly as a result of peoples affinity with Upton - then hopefully more land and facilities will be provided.

PLEASE CARRY YOUR MEMBERSHIP CARDS AT ALL TIMES AND DO NOT BE OFFENDED WHEN ASKED, ALSO GET INVOLVED ON WORK PARTIES AND ANY FUTURE WARDENING SITUATION. SPREAD THE WORD AMONGST OTHER BIRDERS WHEN ON SITE
cheers John

Re Wryneck - cat nothing to do with Upton warren Gary. for those that don't know a cat killed a wryneck in an evesham garden Friday. Use worcester section for any comments.
john

Appologies John, posted in hast and didin't think of the fact this thread is only for Upton Warren.
Keep up the good work,

Gareth

Hi John,

I think it would be a good idea for the Trust to purchase land around Upton Warren (if the opportunity arises) and farm it for wildlife and also for profit which would then benefit the Trust.

This was raised by another birder I spoke to recently when visiting.

You need a hide on the other side of the Flashes ;)

Dean:t:

Happy Birding

Hi John,

I think it would be a good idea for the Trust to purchase land around Upton Warren (if the opportunity arises) and farm it for wildlife and also for profit which would then benefit the Trust.

This was raised by another birder I spoke to recently when visiting.

You need a hide on the other side of the Flashes ;)

Dean:t:

Happy Birding

I couldn't agree more, Dean!o:D

Thanks Dean and Pam for your comments. I agree with both ideas

Re buying land around Upton
this is something Myself and all the work party lads always talk about in fact many people also say the same things . Small parcels of land have in the past come up for sale BUT the Sailing centre have aquired them. For one reason Money! hopefully in the near future more land will be up for sale and the Trust will have a fundraising effort that we could all get involved in..it would be up to us then.

Re hide at the Flashes
Years ago we contemplated installing a hide along the footpath/south side of the Flashes. But the approach would have to be so well screened that a tall bank would be the only option this would compromise the open aspect of the Flashes to the extent that waders would be less attracted to the site. This would be an even bigger problem with a hide opposite the existing ones.
Another factor is that many waders - lapwing curlew and snipe feed in the fields behind the 3rd Flash so this habitat would be rendered useless through disturbance access would also mean destroying some of the prime jack snipe habitat.
However a hide at the back of the archery field overlooking the Flashes from the north side of the Hen Brook could be an option.

All these questions shows people care and want to improve Upton the same questions I have been asking for 30 years. Many of those questions have been answered for instance did you know that the tower hide at the Flashes
replaced a small 6 seater hide 20 yards in front of it. That was part of a plan 25 years ago to create more wader habitat, and it happened. so I never give up asking for me more.
cheers John

The 'All-Dayer'

Well it didn't really happen - due to most of the lads having to commit to family matters including one going to the V festival. plus other dodgey excuses. The Sabs Gull also caused a lot of re-arranging. Myself ended up spending 16 hours at the reserve on Friday. On Saturday Paul spent most of the day and Phil had a very early start with one or two straddlers appearing.
Over the two days some good birds appeared but conditions for visible migration (vis mig) were not brilliant. When you choose the day in advance you never know what the weather will be. Thus SW breeze with warm sunny conditions are not condusive to good migration.
Highlights
Sabines Gull, Med Gull (juv), Whimbrel, Dunlin, LRP, Snipe, Green Sand (13), Common Sand (5), Raven (4), Hobby, Peregrine, Little Egret,
Vis Mig - Swift (5), Sand Martin c20, Common Tern 2 south,
Summer breeders: - Lesser whitethroat, Common Whitethroat,
A total of 80 species were recorded.
cheers john

The Sab's Gull did not appear tonight so we can assume its reorientated and set out to sea.
I will be away in greece for a week so good birding at Upton and don't forget to carry your membership cards.
cheers John

Well it didn't really happen - due to most of the lads having to commit to family matters including one going to the V festival. plus other dodgey excuses. The Sabs Gull also caused a lot of re-arranging. Myself ended up spending 16 hours at the reserve on Friday. On Saturday Paul spent most of the day and Phil had a very early start with one or two straddlers appearing.
Over the two days some good birds appeared but conditions for visible migration (vis mig) were not brilliant. When you choose the day in advance you never know what the weather will be. Thus SW breeze with warm sunny conditions are not condusive to good migration.
Highlights
Sabines Gull, Med Gull (juv), Whimbrel, Dunlin, LRP, Snipe, Green Sand (13), Common Sand (5), Raven (4), Hobby, Peregrine, Little Egret,
Vis Mig - Swift (5), Sand Martin c20, Common Tern 2 south,
Summer breeders: - Lesser whitethroat, Common Whitethroat,
A total of 80 species were recorded.
cheers john

I would be chuffed with seeing half that amount of species in a day, John!;)
Thanks for the info once again!:-O

The Sab's Gull did not appear tonight so we can assume its reorientated and set out to sea.
I will be away in greece for a week so good birding at Upton and don't forget to carry your membership cards.
cheers John

If you haven't left for Greece yet, I hope you have a great holiday and a safe journey, if you have left and read this on your return, then I hope it was a good one!:t:
Oh and don't let all that sun disorientate you when you return and visit Upton, remember to take your membership card...just in case!o:D

Last edited:
Thanks for that Pam just leaving. Hope you see some good birds at upton while I am away, any rarities will hopefully stay until next Tuesday at least.
cheers John

Sabine's Gull

For those that haven't seen it yet - the Sabine's roosted again tonight, coming in at 19.30. Don't forget that Worcs WT (or other county wildlife trust) membership is required to access the reserve. Permits are currently available at £1.00 each, although with effect from next week this will increse to £3.00!

For those that haven't seen it yet - the Sabine's roosted again tonight, coming in at 19.30. Don't forget that Worcs WT (or other county wildlife trust) membership is required to access the reserve. Permits are currently available at £1.00 each, although with effect from next week this will increse to £3.00!

Glad to hear the Sabine's Gull is still around but I think we have all got the message about membership cards now.....this thread is more for the bird sightings at Upton rather than access to the reserve....more bird sightings please as at the end of the day this is what will get people to visit the reserve!! This thread isn't a secondary Worcs Wildlife Trust noticeboard!

(£3.00 is a bit steep btw for the permits especially as there aren't any facilities at Upton Warren ie toilets.)

Glad to hear the Sabine's Gull is still around but I think we have all got the message about membership cards now.....this thread is more for the bird sightings at Upton rather than access to the reserve....more bird sightings please as at the end of the day this is what will get people to visit the reserve!! This thread isn't a secondary Worcs Wildlife Trust noticeboard!

(£3.00 is a bit steep btw for the permits especially as there aren't any facilities at Upton Warren ie toilets.)

Think that's a bit sharp Emma. Post No.1 gives general info about the reserve (which although having plenty of general wildlife interest is primarily a bird reserve) and includes a section about access. Clearly that is about to change and prior warning is useful. Actually I think the arrangements do need to be made clear: I've visited for 20+ years and Tuesday was the first time I've ever had to show my card and I'm aware that WWT are encouraging wardens / managers to do this on reserves now. These posts will stop potential embarrassment and I'll be certain to check my card before I set out on a 15 mile trip!

I hope the thread will comment on all aspects of the Reserve, some of John's posts have been really interesting.

Perhaps we need a second 'What's at the Warren' thread to just list sightings.

Went to UW again yesterday.I'm becoming a regular now I've discovered my Warks wildlife card gets me in and I can get there quicker than I can get to Brandon Marsh.

Went to the Moores pools first and was chuffed to find three Black Terns zooming round at great speed.Getting a decent shot was impossible as the sun from the hide I was in was directly in front of me (well that's my excuse).Didn't see anything else of note and surprisingly hardly any other birders were there.

Went to the flashes next and it was very quiet from the main hide (some roofing work had been done earlier).Did see 17 Curlew (the roofing men had counted 37), 8 Green Sandpipers,2 common Sandpipers and 2 Ringed Plovers.

Max.

Attachments

• IMG_4064.jpg
    IMG_4064.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_4185.JPG
    IMG_4185.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_4200.JPG
    IMG_4200.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 266
£3.......steep!!

£3 is nothing; try fishing or golf if you think that. Better still join the Trust, then it s free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back