• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carl Zeiss 15x60 West Germany (1 Viewer)

slawo112

Hello Everybody:hi:

After searching over the Zeiss binoculars themes I did not find any information about classic binoculars model of Zeiss 15x60 Oberkochen (model before famous 15x60 BGAT*), so I decided to set up a new topic in case to introduce public theme of these remarkable binoculars.

These are pictures from gallery of presented Zeiss 15x60 West Germany:
http://biker112.fotosik.pl/albumy/761437.html

I am an owner of these binoculars, they are preserved in new condition with factory complete accessories. Great stand collection model and inaccessible on todays market. The series number of binoculars is 618915.
I would like to assume the date of production, but it is not easy task because of lack of information over the internet. I wrote to Zeiss Company and receive the note:

"...For your binocular Carl Zeiss 15x60, the serial number is 618915 we don`t have any documents when they were manufactured in Oberkochen.
We can only tell you that this was before 1986..."

Well, I would like to make request whether you have any experience with these classic model of Zeiss 15x60 and could give any information about year of production and also any technical information of that binoculars and todays market worth. I would be deeply grateful for any received information.

As I sometimes used these binoculars I can say that they are great porro powerful system binoculars; optically also very good stand in spite of older coating technology, perfect mechanics, fantastic ergonomic and balance, not too heavy weight to make hands observations.

If you have any experience with that model of binoculars, please join our common topic...:t:

Thanks for watching.

Regards
Slawomir

Last edited:
Can't help you with any info I'm afraid, but I'd love to have a pair of those to use in lieu of a 'scope. They're beauties.

Hello Slawomir,

It would appear that s/n 613908 is currently at auction on eBay #370353725627. It has a buy-it-now price of £699.00.

It certainly is a beauty.

Hello again,

Thanks all for interest. Yes, I know that Zeiss 15x60 Oberkochen are very rare binoculars on todays market, so I also presume that there are not many users of that binoculars. It will not be easy to receive any opinion about year of production and technical details...Patience is needed...:t:

Regards
Slawomir

Hello Slawomir,

It would appear that s/n 613908 is currently at auction on eBay #370353725627. It has a buy-it-now price of £699.00.

It certainly is a beauty.

Yes, I saw presented auction. The Zeiss 15x60 offered on that auction seems to be in really good condition, seller described serial number 613908 as year of production 1968...I am owner of the same model of binoculars, but preserved as brand new with unused leather cover, straps and all boxes...The serial number of mine is 618915, which shows a bit later years of production. I do not want to guess the real year with no any professional opinions and clues...

Regards
Slawomir

Last edited:
Can't help you with any info I'm afraid, but I'd love to have a pair of those to use in lieu of a 'scope. They're beauties.

A pair of the BGAT models in mint condition sold on eBay last year for $2595 US dollars. The BAGT models were only made for a few years (1999 - 2003?) and are hard to find and can be quite expensive. I think the earlier models are are a good alternative to them. Another good alternative is the Docter Optics 15x60B Nobilem binoclars. I used to have a pair of those when they were made by Carl Zeiss Jena and was very pleased with them. However, the Zeiss 15x60 BGATs are noticeably (but not significantly) better.

John Finnan

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back