• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carl Zeiss 12x50B Dodecarem (1 Viewer)

AlistairD

Just bought a pair of these in Mint condition. I'm much more of a photographer than a birder really, but decided to give 'real' binocs a go. If anyone is interested, I'll keep a record here of how I get on.

First thoughts are:
  • no where near as heavy as I expected
  • the thin leather strap looks like new and I'm sure that because it's so impractical
  • will try them with a Canon camera strap I've got spare
  • looking through them, they are incredibly bright and sharp
  • the 3D effect is very strange having come from a cheap pair of zoom Nikons, strange but very good
  • the build quality looks and feels top notch.

Very pleased so far... :t:

Alistair

Hello Alistair,

Do you intend to use this glass with some kind of support, like a tripod or monopod? Most users find twelve power to be too powerful for hand held use.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :brains:

Hello Alistair,

Do you intend to use this glass with some kind of support, like a tripod or monopod? Most users find twelve power to be too powerful for hand held use.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :brains:

Arthur,

I don't plan on it though I do have a monopod and I might try a tripod mount on them as they have a screw at the front for a mount. Compared to my Canon 1DS with a 2x Teleconverter plus 300mm f/2.8 L IS the binos are really light! I'll let you know how I get on...

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

Congratulations on your acquisition, they are truly world class optics.
Used the Docter 12x50BGAs,( the post Zeiss Jena label of the Dodecarem) as my primary glass for years.
Sharpest binocs I ever had and no problem to carry with a decent Optech strap.
Work very well for hand held observation, the jitter was never an impediment, even on a hawkwatch.

That's a nice find. I wanted to get Zeiss 12x56FL but before I could blink it was gone and I never even see them second hand. right now I'm using the Zeiss Conquest 12x45 which are pretty damm good except for poor stray light handling at off angles and a small FOV of only 240 feet. The view otherwise is top notch.

Make sure and give us an update when you've had them out in the feild a few times. I'm a big fan of 12x's even though I realize most birders aren't.

Last edited:
Just bought a pair of these in Mint condition. I'm much more of a photographer than a birder really, but decided to give 'real' binocs a go. If anyone is interested, I'll keep a record here of how I get on.

First thoughts are:
  • no where near as heavy as I expected
  • the thin leather strap looks like new and I'm sure that because it's so impractical
  • will try them with a Canon camera strap I've got spare
  • looking through them, they are incredibly bright and sharp
  • the 3D effect is very strange having come from a cheap pair of zoom Nikons, strange but very good
  • the build quality looks and feels top notch.

Very pleased so far... :t:

Alistair

Hello Alistair

Congratulate on buying those fantastic binoculars Carl Zeiss 12x50B Dodecarem. They are high quality optical and mechanical product. Although they are power binoculars 12x, they are well balanced and can be hand keeping for a long time while making observations. 12x50B Dodecarem substituted earlier model of Carl Zeiss Jena 12x50 Nobilem Spezial; engineers of Zeiss Jena adopted new design and bigger prisms in Dodecarem model, they achieved better light transmission and brightness, which is very useful in 12x50 parametres. In spite of being designed at the middle of 1980s Dodecarem model are still comparable in optical efficiency with contemporary marked binoculars. Carl Zeiss Jena made good job with series of 12x50B Dodecarem and 8x50B Octarem, thay were top high quality products.
I am a fun of 12x50B Dodecarem, I have one for nearly 15 years and still this my favourite binoculars which I never sell.
I bought occasionally another a new condition pair of 12x50B Dodecarem and try to offer them. Interested buyers wanted to buy but for rather lower price, and sometimes compare my proposed price with price of standard model like Carl Zeiss Jena 10x50 Dekarem, but 12x50B Dodecarem are completely different model than standard Dekarem or Jenoptem models, and in accordance with Carl Zeiss catalogue from 1990s, Dodecarem model was at least twice more priced than other standard and known models like 10x50 Dekarem or 7x50, 10x50 Jenoptem.

I think that you will be satisfied with your 12x50B Dodecarem for years because they seem to be the best of 12x50 binoculars ever made and you will discover that opinion while using your binoculars.

Regards
Slawomir

Last edited:
I have not used that Zeiss, but only want to comment on birding with what some people call, in ways quite defensibly, excessive magnification.

I use a 12x (which shall remain nameless) sometimes, and although the view is shaky, it is fun to see such a mongo big bird. Don't worry too much about the shake, or trying to prove to yourself you can really "see more" with the high power. Just enjoy the hugeness for what it is. It does seems to help steadiness if I grip the binocular very tightly for a few seconds.
Ron

Thanks for the replies guys. I have not found any problems with shake yet but to be fair haven't used them in anger for longer periods of time yet.

Alistair

Nice clear night, great view of the moon, Jupiter and it's moons and a nice view of Mars. A bit shaky looking at Jupiter's moons but overall, great binos...

Alistair

Used these this morning across our fields, my wife said the view of the two deer was 'unbelievable' in terms of the realism and 3D, and I used them to view a red kite circle overhead. Still think these are great binos and really easy to use.

I've had the 8x50 Octarem version for many years and can confirm these Carl Zeiss Jena top-of-the-range models are quite superb. It's not an exaggeration to say they are one of the finest binoculars ever made, anywhere, at any price, even compared with modern stuff. Go on the internet and see what Fan Tao and Holger Merlitz have to say on these classics of optical technology, or just short-cut on Bird Forum by going to 'Zeiss', then to 'Octarem adjustments' where there's a long-running thread. Congratulations, you've struck gold...

I've had the 8x50 Octarem version for many years and can confirm these Carl Zeiss Jena top-of-the-range models are quite superb. It's not an exaggeration to say they are one of the finest binoculars ever made, anywhere, at any price, even compared with modern stuff. Go on the internet and see what Fan Tao and Holger Merlitz have to say on these classics of optical technology, or just short-cut on Bird Forum by going to 'Zeiss', then to 'Octarem adjustments' where there's a long-running thread. Congratulations, you've struck gold...

James,

Thanks, I read the thread prior to buying the binos when I was searching for information on the Dodecarem's. They are great binos. My pair has hardly been used but that will change!

Hello again Everybody,

Yes, Carl Zeiss Jena series of 8x50 Octarem and 12x50 Dodecarem are brilliant binoculars. As I wrote in earlier message I am fun of Dodecarem model and I have two pairs of that binoculars. Last weekend I was at the Tatra mountain trip where I go every year and made observations of eagles by my Dodecarem. Great experience...the pictures of birds were superb realism and admirable 3D...

If you would like, you can see my pictures gallery with one model of Dodecarem offered for sell:
http://biker112.fotosik.pl/albumy/788304.html

If somebody is interested in those binoculars, they are offered on ebay auction.

Thanks for watching

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back