• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hinge end-cap on FL coming off (1 Viewer)

Loose Zeiss Badge

I've noticed the small blue Zeiss badge on the barrel coming off a pair that were in a shop cabinet. Not a big thing some might say ,but for me it's another point against Zeiss , I find the materials used in the optics coverings (plastics and rubber ),of the products to be awful.The optics of course are as good as the other top brands.
Tom.

Just reattach it to the barrel with a little silicone cement and rub off any edge bleed. This happened to my Victory IIs and the fix looks good as new.

The previous owner of a used 7x42 FL I purchased a few years back had the same thing happen; unfortunately, he could not pop it back in prior to shipping.

Upon receiving them, I made several futile attempts to pop the cap in. I then called Zeiss to request a new cap and they promptly sent one at no charge. Well, the new cap popped in nicely and has stayed put and feels very secure. If my memory serves, the cap is not secured by "friction fit" design, but rather, is held in place by a clip.

Anyway, I haven't had any problems with the FLs since. They continue to offer wonderful viewing experiences. However, it does make one wonder if Zeiss' quality control is lacking or if they use somewhat inferior exterior materials.

Last edited:
However, it does make one wonder if Zeiss' quality control is lacking or if they use somewhat inferior exterior materials.

In my experience as a 7x42FL owner there are serious problems with quality control in Germany. My first pair developed rough focusing and were sent back to the factory for repair; they were returned to me with stiff focusing and a diopter adjustment that no longer held its position. Zeiss sent me a replacement pair.
Last October one barrel of the replacement pair fogged up after birding in light rain. Zeiss sent me a replacement pair.
Earlier this year the focusing on the second replacement pair became very rough. It was repaired by Zeiss.

The optical quality of this instrument is superb but I will not be buying Zeiss again. My experience goes beyond what may be put down to bad luck, and the failure of the factory to carry out a simple repair with my first FLs is remarkable.
My assumption here is that the problem is quality control rather than basic design faults, because I have spoken to many happy Zeiss owners.

Sean

In my experience as a 7x42FL owner there are serious problems with quality control in Germany. My first pair developed rough focusing and were sent back to the factory for repair; they were returned to me with stiff focusing and a diopter adjustment that no longer held its position. Zeiss sent me a replacement pair.
Last October one barrel of the replacement pair fogged up after birding in light rain. Zeiss sent me a replacement pair.
Earlier this year the focusing on the second replacement pair became very rough. It was repaired by Zeiss.

The optical quality of this instrument is superb but I will not be buying Zeiss again. My experience goes beyond what may be put down to bad luck, and the failure of the factory to carry out a simple repair with my first FLs is remarkable.
My assumption here is that the problem is quality control rather than basic design faults, because I have spoken to many happy Zeiss owners.

Sean

Sad |=(|

Zeiss Germany Quality Control

I have sent a pair of 10x42 BGAT to Zeiss UK several times over the years for a stiff hinge, sloppy hinge and to change out a chipped lens. The service I obtained from them, and Peter Peach in particular, was excellent. I then sent them to Germany for a check up and a service, and the hinge came back so stiff I couldn't move it. It had to go to Peter to be loosened. I also had to send a 30x60 mirror scope back to Zeiss Germany to fix a sloppy focus wheel. When I got the scope back the focus wheel came off in my hand. Several of the screws had not been done up (they were sticking out of the wheel) and some were missing. It had to go back to be sorted out. So - if it's something Zeiss UK can handle in the UK I have nothing but praise, but if it goes back to Germany beware ! Sad indeed. I hope Steven Ingraham, ex. Better View Desired, now Zeiss is listening !

That's interesting 4John. The latest problem of mine was fixed in Britain; British service engineers had not been trained to work on the bins when the FLs first came out. Hopefully that has now changed.

Sean

Dogfish,

After reading your post I thought I'd better check some dates. I was surprised to find the scope went back to Germany in 2002. Seems like yesterday. How memories of good and bad service stick !

The binoculars went to Germany for an overhaul and the replacement of a chipped lens in 2004. I remember Peter Peach at Zeiss saying he could do the lens himself, but they went back to Germany for some optical checks. They came back with the focus wheel (not the hinge) way too stiff and had to go back to Peter to loosen it off.

I assume your experience of Zeiss Germany and UK is more recent ?

The endcap fell out of my 7x42 FL's today while viewing some birds in my back yard. I was holding the bins in my hand and sitting down at the time. I have only had the bins for a few weeks and no rough treatment.

I do love the view though.

Wally

Yes 4 John, the second focusing problem was earlier this year; the letting in the water episode in Oct 07. The earlier problems were around 2003-4.
The focusing still isn't brilliantly smooth (it was on the previous pair).

Sean

The end cap at the other end fell off now!

Recently, the hinge end-cap, that little piece with the Z logo came off on my 8x42 FL. Fortunately, that was at home and I heard the sound as it hit the floor. I then noticed that this piece is only stuck into the ends of the hinge and barrel covers. ..... But the prospect of missing parts (and be they ever so small) on such an expensive instrument is clearly leaving behind a "funny" feeling. Or should I say an uneasy feeling that something more important might come undone as well. Well, I have used a bit of glue to make sure it sticks well. But that is not the idea I have about how a top product should have to be dealt with. :h?:

As a follow-up to my own post #1, the top cap of the focus knob has fallen off recently. Again, just by sheer luck, I found it again. But the uneasy feeling about this construction has been reinforced! As it happened while I was on a lengthy trip, the definite loss would have opened the focus mechanism to dust and sand! I guess, I'll use some glue again, as the original problem has not recurred since I added that glue. No complaints optically, except for some glare in certain situations. But other than that, I am still very happy with my FLs.

That focus is still silky smooth. One problem that may be a result of it is the fact that it very easily shifts on its own while I simply carry the binoculars. I experience the same on my Leica 77 spotting scope with respect to the shift in the zoom setting of the eyepiece.

Last edited:
I was about to buy a pair of 7x42 FL's, having been bowled over by a pair I tried at Birdfair, but having just read through this thread I've changed my mind!
Max

I was about to buy a pair of 7x42 FL's, having been bowled over by a pair I tried at Birdfair, but having just read through this thread I've changed my mind!
Max

You did read the whole thread didn't you.

I wouldn't be too put off by an odd one off problem. Especially one that is easily fixed (see the thread).

This is an internet effect. The vast majority of people don't post about the end caps not falling off. SO one gets a distorted view of reality.

At least they haven't on mine. ;)

If you like the view get the bin! The 7x42 is a very good bin.

I wouldn't be too put off by an odd one off problem.

if it were true.
problems with the finish are a long standing one of the Victories.
I have been put off getting one several times (despite attractive prices) because of loose end caps and the rubber coming off on fresh items coming straight from the box.

I rather pay a few € more and get something that keeps its integrity a little bit longer :t:

If anybody knows a bino worth having, that has not been complained about here for the occasional defect, please share that with us. Zeiss FL, Swaro EL, Leica HD, and every lesser binocular on the planet, have all been shown to be imperfect. Take your pick, but there are only guarantees of perfection, never actual perfection.
Ron

As a follow-up to my own post #1, the top cap of the focus knob has fallen off recently. Again, just by sheer luck, I found it again. But the uneasy feeling about this construction has been reinforced! As it happened while I was on a lengthy trip, the definite loss would have opened the focus mechanism to dust and sand! I guess, I'll use some glue again, as the original problem has not recurred since I added that glue. No complaints optically, except for some glare in certain situations. But other than that, I am still very happy with my FLs.

That focus is still silky smooth. One problem that may be a result of it is the fact that it very easily shifts on its own while I simply carry the binoculars. I experience the same on my Leica 77 spotting scope with respect to the shift in the zoom setting of the eyepiece.

The same thing has happened to the 7x42 FL's of a friend of mine;
the top cap of the focus knob has come off.

A bit of history on this particular pair of 7x42 FL's: they were mine until I sold them to my friend in november 2007.
Reading back this whole thread I noticed my own postings, when I still owned this particular specimen and nothing seemed wrong with them.
By mid 2007 the diopter adjustment went berzerk, shifting its position irregularly when I changed the IPD. The only clickstop is at the 'zero' position, and there it's held firmly.
I decided to get rid of the 7x42 FL's because I didn't trust the diopter design without clickstops except the one at 'zero', and my friend wanted to upgrade his Leica 8x42 BA. He was very interested in the FL's, and after I'd told him about the flawed diopter that couldn't be trusted, he was still eager to get the FL. He'd use it with the diopter on 0 permanently, he said, so he saw no problems.
I gave in and sold him the 7x42 FL's for € 250.- , in november 2007.

Today I was at his place because we were going out for diner with our wives, and while they were upstairs dressing up, I looked around a bit, waiting, when I noticed my old 7x42 FL's on a bookshelf. For old times sake, I took them off the shelf, and noticed the missing top cap on the focus knob.
Turning the focus wheel, it went smoothly, turning around an axis now revealed.

I never looked at the diopter position. Couldn't bring myself to do so.

The view was magnificent, when I looked out into the backyard, so optically these are still nice. Being used to image stabilized Canons for well over a year now, I found even the 7x to have a noticeable shake. I dare say I can hold my 18x50 IS Canons with IS on more steady than the 7x42 FL's.

Anyhow, I put them back on the shelf and waited for the others to come down.
I didn't ask how it had happened, how the top cap had gone lost.
Sadly this is the second case, since Robert's posting on this thread.

I thought I'd mention it, for the sake of statistics.

On occasion I'll ask my friend how it happened, and if he'll let me, post back on this thread for a follow up.

Kind regards,

Ronald

One thing I forgot to mention:

the end cap on the far side of the hinge, with the "Z" logo, was still in place.

Spyglass,

In frequent use my 18x50 IS's require fresh alkalines every day and a half.
Rechargeables every four days.

It's got quite an appetite. I always take at least one set of spare alkalines with me on a day's birding.

Kind regards,

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back