• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED III A - 30x or 40x? Advice please (1 Viewer)

Just bought the Nikon ED III A and thought I had bought the 30x eyepiece (that's what it said on the box). Must have been a mix up in the shop as the actual eyepiece has 40x engraved on it. (Have just got home and checking the 'new toy' out)

Will it make much difference (e.g. less bright) - is it worth the hassle to change it.

Have spent some time researching what I thought I wanted!

Advice appreciated.

Make sure it really is a 40x; Nikon eyepieces have several magnifications marked on them, because they give different mags on different scopes. For example, your eyepiece could be 30x on the 60mm and 40x on the 82mm.

Sean

Make sure it really is a 40x; Nikon eyepieces have several magnifications marked on them, because they give different mags on different scopes. For example, your eyepiece could be 30x on the 60mm and 40x on the 82mm.

Sean
Thanks - it really is 40x W MC for the ED III (60mm). Went back to the shop (round trip of 70 miles) and they didn't have the 30xW MC in stock so have arranged to send me one. I can then return the 40x.

They have been very helpful - which is, I suppose, all you can ask. Mistakes happen.

Glad they're sorting this out for you; 40x really has limited applications and is not a magnification you want to be reliant on day-to-day. 30xW? Now that's a beaut!
Enjoy the view!
Dave C

Eyepiece finally arrived ... now off to play with it. First impressions from comparisons looking down the garden is that it definitely was worth the hassle. Seems crisper, brighter , 'cleaner' and better contrast.

Thanks for the advice!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back