• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parkgate-Wirral-High Tides (1 Viewer)

Parkgate dissapointment

Good views of 2x ringtail harriers, buzzard, sparrowhawk plus distant merlin and peregrine on posts.

Lots of redshank including 1 leucistic individual.

Turned up like hundreds of others yesterday,expecting to see a feast of birds,just did not happen perhaps the clowns in the rowing boats had a bit to do with it!!!
Nevertheless it was a pleasant day weatherwise,,,,Paul

Bit of a flop really, managed to see Raptors but only Hen and Marsh harrier and Kestrel and Peregrine. Had a better afternoon last Thursday.

Did manage a distant shot of the Ringtail.

Attachments

• _MG_9819.jpg
    _MG_9819.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 105
Turned up like hundreds of others yesterday,expecting to see a feast of birds,just did not happen perhaps the clowns in the rowing boats had a bit to do with it!!!
Nevertheless it was a pleasant day weatherwise,,,,Paul

Rowing boat or Kyak? Perhaps the same 2 that were in a kayak on Monday. Half of me was trying to 'tell myself' they have a right to be there while the other half was quietly screeming "MORONS" as they should respect all the other peoples rights. I think the "MORONS" part won:C

The preceeding hours were better than tha actual high tide. Spoonbill became quite flighty, the Hen harrier made made a dramatic flypast the carpark and Merlin and marsh harrier were active as the tide progressed half way across the marsh.

Stone chats were very visible along the marsh front as were the 2 Little owls behind the marsh.

With the previous days high tide, I think most of the marsh residents had already been flushed and therefore had moved on.... even the gulls didnt look intrested as the tide hit the wall.

Was hoping to see the Green Woodpecker in the fields behind... no joy

Finished off at Leasowe by the flooded field full of Curlew (anyone know what this field is called??? it is on the corner and hosts a car boot sale on sundays). Anyway great last hour with 15 Teal, 2 Shoveler, 80+ Curlew, 60+ Lapwings, 20+Oystercatchers and a single Snipe plus a female Sparowhawk catching and eating prey, and a Kestrel who was hoping to pinch a bit of prey from the Sparrowhawk but without luck and left with one less tail feather ....

Dave

The preceeding hours were better than tha actual high tide. Spoonbill became quite flighty, the Hen harrier made made a dramatic flypast the carpark and Merlin and marsh harrier were active as the tide progressed half way across the marsh.

Stone chats were very visible along the marsh front as were the 2 Little owls behind the marsh.

With the previous days high tide, I think most of the marsh residents had already been flushed and therefore had moved on.... even the gulls didnt look intrested as the tide hit the wall.

Was hoping to see the Green Woodpecker in the fields behind... no joy

Finished off at Leasowe by the flooded field full of Curlew (anyone know what this field is called??? it is on the corner and hosts a car boot sale on sundays). Anyway great last hour with 15 Teal, 2 Shoveler, 80+ Curlew, 60+ Lapwings, 20+Oystercatchers and a single Snipe plus a female Sparowhawk catching and eating prey, and a Kestrel who was hoping to pinch a bit of prey from the Sparrowhawk but without luck and left with one less tail feather ....

Dave

There with Dave, guess next time the best day is the first high tide as suspect most mammals scarpered or were eaten on previous day. Still good to see the speed the tide covered the marsh. Never seen so many birders in one place! Must say whilst I enjoyed it wasn't quite the spectacle I was expecting but that's nature. Some great, distant, raptor views though and just loved all the skylarks and pipits.

Phil

I was finding the ratio of Rock to Meadow to be about 1:1, at Heswall and Neston with good numbers of some very well-marked littoralis

I'm thinking there may well be a thousand Rock Pipits on the Dee just now.

Knew Parkgate wasn't quite going to be there without the aid of the wind.

Should have all seen Marshside though! Flooded up to the road for the most part Monday and Tuesday (presumably same today) and the mammals had a tough time again, gettin' picked off left right and centre. I was there for Monday and had superb views of a Shortie and a Merlin also did a fly past. Over 100 Skylarks also feeding on the rafts of marsh that managed to stay above water. Easily eqaulled the Parkgate spectacle I had at the beginning of Feb.

Knew Parkgate wasn't quite going to be there without the aid of the wind.

Should have all seen Marshside though! Flooded up to the road for the most part Monday and Tuesday (presumably same today) and the mammals had a tough time again, gettin' picked off left right and centre. I was there for Monday and had superb views of a Shortie and a Merlin also did a fly past. Over 100 Skylarks also feeding on the rafts of marsh that managed to stay above water. Easily eqaulled the Parkgate spectacle I had at the beginning of Feb.

It's in the diary now for the next high tide, in autumn!

Phil

It's in the diary now for the next high tide, in autumn!

Phil

Well you're not gettin a 10m tide so I'd start praying for some good onshore winds. I'd have to guess that it'll be rather unlikely for either marshes to flood again this year.

Dave

Don't think it has a name but I always try and stop when i'm passing at high tide as it is so good for waders.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back